DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
Results 71 to 80 of 180

Thread: Droid X sync with Outlook

  1. Senior Droid
    wmscottmc's Avatar
    Member #
    85066
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    217
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #71
    Quote Originally Posted by dkst0426 View Post
    Google Sync isn't that difficult. Exporting email folders, calendars, and address books and then importing them to Gmail takes about as much time as it would to post about how much you think that's a bad thing on a message board.
    Ya, its easy to migrate (most) data from Outlook to google, I dont think that is the issue.

    1) You cant export all Outlook data to google, only some of it
    2) gmail/calendar isnt a substitute for an application like Outlook, its ok for casual personal use, but anything more than that requires a real app.
    3) I dont know that all buyers knew about this, when people buy blackberries they dont assume that it will only sync with RIM applications
    4) Some users dont really want all personal or business data stored in the cloud.
  2. Droid
    DaddyRabbit's Avatar
    Member #
    103925
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    35
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    #72
    Quote Originally Posted by dkst0426 View Post
    Only browsed through the first couple of pages. Apologies if there's any repetition from me.............

    I really don't see the issue. It's a Google phone built to thrive in a Google environment, ostensibly drawing primarily from Google's email/contact "version" of Outlook, so nobody should really be surprised or frustrated. Surely any buyer knew what they were getting into right off the bat?

    Google Sync isn't that difficult. Exporting email folders, calendars, and address books and then importing them to Gmail takes about as much time as it would to post about how much you think that's a bad thing on a message board.
    I disagree. It isn't a "Google" phone, its a Motorola phone sold by Verizon running a Google designed OS. The BB Storm is a RIM built phone running RIM's OS sold by Verizon to work on their network. Apple makes the iPhone with iOS and it works on AT&T.

    I use Outlook on my PC for contacts, calendar, notes, tasks and have done so for years. I have it highly customized to work the way I work.

    I have no desire to downgrade to a less functional app suite so I can have a new phone, where Apple and RIM have it right is that a smartphone should augment your lifestyle, not force you to rework it.

    I like my privacy, I don't want my contacts and my daily life sitting on someone's cloud somewhere (1984 anyone?) even if they tell me "trust us, we aren't really evil".

    My old BB Storm 1 syncs fine, I hate Apple and AT&T but the iPhone would sync fine with my MS software (aren't they competitors?). I guess I'll have to spend some money or just print my Outlook calendar, notes, and tasks to compensate for the lack of the "smart" in my new spankin' shiny "Smartphone"

    I won't be dumping the DX soon but this is just one of the list of things that other phones from many manufacturers have done for YEARS that this "high end" phone cannot do and it is inexcusable to say the least.

    I didn't spend my hard earned money to increase Google's revenue after all. I'd like to know why my Motorola Razr2 could initiate voice commands from bluetooth devices but this supercomputer of smartphones can't (just one example of the things that Google didn't feel was important to those trying to avoid distracted driving).

    [/rant]
  3. Junior Droid
    Atst44's Avatar
    Member #
    30128
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    24
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #73

    Google syncing

    Android is flawed when it comes to syncing MS Outlook to Android when your "server" is not on line. (Server meaning any machine hosting your Outlook account).

    There are some solutions that require money, but there is one that is free and not TOO annoying as long as you have a domain registered.
    Google apps can sync your MS Outlook host to google via a few "Google Apps" that are free to download.
    This, of course, would require you to be willing to use GMail exclusively on your mobile device.

    This is the solution I have advocated for many professionals that seek my advice. It works out reasonably well for most. Some just cannot be bothered with the hassle. And there are a few hiccups to overcome.

    I would suggest NOT purchasing an Android phone if you are not willing to make this compromise at this time. Sorry to be blunt, but it's the truth.

    (Sorry for the big block of text...)
  4. Droid
    dkst0426's Avatar
    Member #
    112106
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    44
    Phone
    Droid X
    #74
    I suppose so. Well, one thing my Verizon salesperson reminded me after he saw how long I was taking to decide on which phone to get was that as I tinkered, I had 10 days to bring it back for a full refund, so without trying to sound dismissive of the problems some are raising with Droid/Android here, there's always another option.

  5. Junior Droid
    chrisrach3's Avatar
    Member #
    101191
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    15
    Phone
    Rezound
    #75
    Well, being that Verizon reps claimed that I could sync with Outlook, that it DOES sync with Outlook Exchange, and that all other smartphone OSs (including BlackBerry and Palm) sync with Outlook, is it really unreasonable to expect that it would sync?

    Quote Originally Posted by dkst0426 View Post
    Only browsed through the first couple of pages. Apologies if there's any repetition from me.............

    I really don't see the issue. It's a Google phone built to thrive in a Google environment, ostensibly drawing primarily from Google's email/contact "version" of Outlook, so nobody should really be surprised or frustrated. Surely any buyer knew what they were getting into right off the bat?

    Google Sync isn't that difficult. Exporting email folders, calendars, and address books and then importing them to Gmail takes about as much time as it would to post about how much you think that's a bad thing on a message board.
  6. Droid
    dkst0426's Avatar
    Member #
    112106
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    NC, USA
    Posts
    44
    Phone
    Droid X
    #76
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrach3 View Post
    Well, being that Verizon reps claimed that I could sync with Outlook, that it DOES sync with Outlook Exchange, and that all other smartphone OSs (including BlackBerry and Palm) sync with Outlook, is it really unreasonable to expect that it would sync?
    Whose fault is that? The makers of the phone or the salesperson? My rep, on the other hand, did tell me that I would need to figure out a way to sync my Outlook email, contacts, and calendar with the phone via a third-party app. As with all things, caveat emptor.
  7. Junior Droid
    chrisrach3's Avatar
    Member #
    101191
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    15
    Phone
    Rezound
    #77
    I would have to say "Yes". I pin it on both of them. And myself, for that matter. All I'm saying is that if BlackBerrys and Palms (and, obviously, Windows Mobile devices) sync efficiently, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the smartphone of all smartphones to do the same. Nor do I think that it's unreasonable to not want to stop using Outlook for an inferior contact management database.

    Quote Originally Posted by dkst0426 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrach3 View Post
    Well, being that Verizon reps claimed that I could sync with Outlook, that it DOES sync with Outlook Exchange, and that all other smartphone OSs (including BlackBerry and Palm) sync with Outlook, is it really unreasonable to expect that it would sync?
    Whose fault is that? The makers of the phone or the salesperson? My rep, on the other hand, did tell me that I would need to figure out a way to sync my Outlook email, contacts, and calendar with the phone via a third-party app. As with all things, caveat emptor.
  8. Senior Droid
    dangerous's Avatar
    Member #
    3054
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Posts
    202
    Phone
    Bionic
    #78
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrach3 View Post
    Well, being that Verizon reps claimed that I could sync with Outlook, that it DOES sync with Outlook Exchange, and that all other smartphone OSs (including BlackBerry and Palm) sync with Outlook, is it really unreasonable to expect that it would sync?
    Outlook and exchange are two different things. why are people confusing the two. It's not "outlook exchange".

    The X will (natively) sync with Exchange, and OUTLOOK will sync with Exchange. THE X WILL NOT sync with outlook. (unless you use a 3rd party software).
  9. Droid
    wtherrell's Avatar
    Member #
    94700
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    55
    Phone
    Samsung Fascinate
    #79

    So---Stick with WinMo 6.5?

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrach3 View Post
    I would have to say "Yes". I pin it on both of them. And myself, for that matter. All I'm saying is that if BlackBerrys and Palms (and, obviously, Windows Mobile devices) sync efficiently, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect the smartphone of all smartphones to do the same. Nor do I think that it's unreasonable to not want to stop using Outlook for an inferior contact management database.

    Quote Originally Posted by dkst0426 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrach3 View Post
    Well, being that Verizon reps claimed that I could sync with Outlook, that it DOES sync with Outlook Exchange, and that all other smartphone OSs (including BlackBerry and Palm) sync with Outlook, is it really unreasonable to expect that it would sync?
    Whose fault is that? The makers of the phone or the salesperson? My rep, on the other hand, did tell me that I would need to figure out a way to sync my Outlook email, contacts, and calendar with the phone via a third-party app. As with all things, caveat emptor.
    So what are we supposed to do if Android can't handle this basic need? iPhone? Yuckkk! Not use my NE2 for 6 more months until WinMo 7 phones come out? (Don't even know if that will have Outlook sync, tho it would really be a shocker if it didn't) Stick with a WinMo 6.5 device? Lame! Google should have their A$$$es kicked for not providing this basic function.
    If I can find a decent, reliable pay App that will do it, I am willing to pay for it. So far, I have seen a couple that claim to, but I don't see any good, favorable user responses out there. Jury seems to still be out the rather expensive CompanionLink solution.
  10. Junior Droid
    grundei's Avatar
    Member #
    92135
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    7
    Phone
    Droid X
    #80
    Palm & HotSync had this solved over ten years ago - Why can't someone duplicate that functionality???????? (I am using CompanionLink - but that is about 75% of the HotSync functionality and requires hitting "OK" three times during the sync process so you can not start it and walk away.)

    This is an incredible gap in functionality for the players involved in this to have left open.

    Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Is there a way to Sync all of outlook to the Droid?
    By SSHGuru in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 07:48 PM
  2. How to sync Outlook Tasks to Droid
    By gkitchens in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-05-2010, 02:19 PM
  3. Outlook sync with Droid
    By sugarmaglndscp in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 02:56 PM
  4. how long did it take for your droid to sync with outlook?
    By hero in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-02-2009, 10:11 AM
  5. Lotus Notes Sync & Outlook Sync w/Droid
    By smilepak in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 02:21 PM

Search tags for this page

droid x outlook
,

droid x sync with outlook

,
how to get outlook email on droid x
,

how to sync droid x with outlook

,
how to sync outlook with droid x
,
linking my droid x to outlook
,
motorola droid x sync with outlook
,
sync droid x outlook
,

sync droid x with outlook

,

sync outlook with droid x

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+