DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Droid X sync with Outlook

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note (AT&T)
    Hookbill... I understand what you're saying, but I think it's short-sighted to tell people that will use GMail and they'll like it: my way or the highway. That's an invitation back to the highway IMO. Better to acknowledge that it is a problem and either help find a solution, or be on the lookout for one. If a few people in this little corner of the Android universe are talking about it, there must be countless people wondering about it.

I do think your post was helpful in that it offered alternatives... just the tone was a bit dismissive.
  2. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Immolate View Post
    Hookbill... I understand what you're saying, but I think it's short-sighted to tell people that will use GMail and they'll like it: my way or the highway. That's an invitation back to the highway IMO. Better to acknowledge that it is a problem and either help find a solution, or be on the lookout for one. If a few people in this little corner of the Android universe are talking about it, there must be countless people wondering about it.

I do think your post was helpful in that it offered alternatives... just the tone was a bit dismissive.
    I don't think that was the point of it at all. And quite honestly to say I was dismissive is insulting when all I was trying to do was to help.

I see a lot of people come in and out of these forums who have absolutely no idea about how to transfer their files over to gmail. I see many people who do not realize this is a google phone.

I can't acknowledge a problem where really none exist. The problem IMHO is that people don't want to let go of outlook for whatever reason so they "battle" the make up and build of the phone. It can still be worked out, but the easiest way to do it is to run things off of gmail.

Now if you choose to spend 40.00 on a program that will help sync these items for you I say go for it. It's your money, I have no right to tell you how to spend it.

I'm willing to bet that out of the posters I saw talking about this at least a couple of them did not know they could transfer their files to Google using csv files. There are no instruction books that come with these phones.

My job is to try to help others in the forum. i'll continue to do that. You can think what you want about the way I do it, that's up to you. I don't go to sleep at night not feeling like I've helped somebody somehow during the day.
    Please be respectful. Respect is #1 here at DF Please read our Guidelines of Conduct
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid x

Great news

Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Guys this is a google phone. All you have to do is go into your gmail account on line and to your settings Pick the tab that says accounts and settings. There is a specific link with instructions for how to synch gmail to Outlook 2007 by creating csv files. You transfer those files to gmail and then your phone syncs with gmail

So simple my wife no only did it, she can't understand how people are having a problem figuring it out. From that point on you work out of your gmail account.
    If other folks try this and it works, report back and let us know!
  4. Premium Member
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Premium Member
    hookbill is right. i just prefer outlook, probably cause its always what i have done. the gmail thing is nice though. im just not willing to give up outlook just yet.

the companionlink/dejaoffice program works very well so far. took a bit to get it setup.
  5. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    OK, I just read Hook's post, but I want to know if the X can sync with a network version of Outlook? My company runs Outlook 2007, and I currently use my HTC Touch, and it syncs seamlessly with Outlook (yes, HTC Touch uses WinMo)- I like this and really would rather NOT have to sync through a third party (such as gmail).

Does anyone know if there will be a download fix available for this?
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note (AT&T)
    Which part is Bill right about plumcrazy? Is it the part about Outlook users needing to "let go of Outlook", or the "fact" that the Droid X is a GMail phone and that people need to accept that? I am going to go out on a limb and say that that approach is a recipe for chasing people off, especially for those to whom the phone is merely a tool that they are trying to make work for them.

I could understand if the OP was a concern troll/iPHone fanboy trying to stir up the muck, but that obviously isn't the case. You don't tell people that their concerns are invalid and that it is their unwillingness to embrace solution "A" that is the problem, unless of course your objective is to reduce the readership to only those who think exactly like you do. Also, don't assume that a handful of posts means the same thing as "born yesterday".
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X RETURNED / BB Storm
    Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    Guys this is a google phone. All you have to do is go into your gmail account on line and to your settings Pick the tab that says accounts and settings. There is a specific link with instructions for how to synch gmail to Outlook 2007 by creating csv files. You transfer those files to gmail and then your phone syncs with gmail

So simple my wife no only did it, she can't understand how people are having a problem figuring it out. From that point on you work out of your gmail account.
    With all due respect, Blackberry does not make owners change the way they do a sync. In reality neither does Apple, albeit they do force I-Tunes down the owners throat, BUT it does works on one's own PC. I think you are missing the point that some of us do not wish to put our contacts "out there". Google has already been exposed as a very lax company when it comes to personal privacy, "Mining" the information that is placed "out there" is a very real possibility (make that a probability) and I simply don't wish to give anyone that opportunity.

If google really wants to be of service to Android owners, they need to offer an "Out of the Box" conduit that provides the sync interface. Some of my business contacts are extremely sensitive and would not appreciate knowing that I have placed their information on a server that I have no control over. Google's approach and attitude is do syncing our way or sync it somewhere else. So I will choose, for the time being, to do it somewhere else even though I really favor the Droid X. I do hope that others will continue to tell us about their experiences with syncing using third party conduits. That might motivate me to take another go at the Droid X.
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by plumcrazy View Post
    hookbill is right. i just prefer outlook, probably cause its always what i have done. the gmail thing is nice though. im just not willing to give up outlook just yet.

the companionlink/dejaoffice program works very well so far. took a bit to get it setup.
    Are you using the Droid X? What version of OS on your PC? What version of Outlook on your PC?
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X - Verizon Wireless
    Quote Originally Posted by stryguy View Post
    I hear you..

Coming over from the Iphone this completely blew my mind. I'm completely in love with this phone but I have to be honest and say that this is giving me second thoughts.

Luckily Google Apps Premier is actually cheaper then rackspace which is where I'm currently hosting my email + domain name. I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes.

Had I known this before I bought the phone and fell in love with it I would have never bought it.
    I was in the same boat for the first half day. I finally caved and did the Google Apps Premier (I have been a BB user since 2001), and I am so thrilled I did! I am a small business owner and get a ton of emails.

For the first time, I can sync my Outlook - including folders - with my device! So when I get an e-mail, I can file it in a folder (google calls them lables) on my device and it shows up as read and in the correct Outlook folder when I open Outlook. It's already saving me time with less duplication of effort. I can even determine which folders are synced to my device and for what period of time. For the first time, I can see emails I sent from outlook on my device, which will be extremely helpful when I am on the road.

From a BB lover for over 9 years, give it a try. It really is great. There is a learning curve, but just try and stick it out. At some point, I might just give up Outlook all together.
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by pitbullguy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stryguy View Post
    I hear you..

Coming over from the Iphone this completely blew my mind. I'm completely in love with this phone but I have to be honest and say that this is giving me second thoughts.

Luckily Google Apps Premier is actually cheaper then rackspace which is where I'm currently hosting my email + domain name. I'm going to give it a try and see how it goes.

Had I known this before I bought the phone and fell in love with it I would have never bought it.
    I was in the same boat for the first half day. I finally caved and did the Google Apps Premier (I have been a BB user since 2001), and I am so thrilled I did! I am a small business owner and get a ton of emails.

For the first time, I can sync my Outlook - including folders - with my device! So when I get an e-mail, I can file it in a folder (google calls them lables) on my device and it shows up as read and in the correct Outlook folder when I open Outlook. It's already saving me time with less duplication of effort. I can even determine which folders are synced to my device and for what period of time. For the first time, I can see emails I sent from outlook on my device, which will be extremely helpful when I am on the road.

From a BB lover for over 9 years, give it a try. It really is great. There is a learning curve, but just try and stick it out. At some point, I might just give up Outlook all together.
    Are you using the DROID X? Are you able to sync with both a desktop AND a loptop without duplication or issue?
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Links