DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Dial by name question...

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Dial by name question...

I just got the phone.

I am liking.. not loving yet. Coming from a blackberry tour.. (before that a curve).

So - I used to be able to just dial the phone for a name.. using the letters represented by the digits on the keypad.

Is there a way to do this ?

It seems the only way - is to go to contacts, then select search, then go into the search button and start typing the name.

Am I right?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    you can make a shortcut to call or text anyone from the homescreen, like their icon will immeadiately call or text that person depending on which u chose
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Yes - but I mean like searching for someone... or even search under another item other than the name... like - I know someone that works at a store - but forgot her name. etc.

THe blackberry would search all fields.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid X
    There are a few ways of finding a contact. The method you stated, hitting the search button from the homescreen and typing in a name, hitting the home button twice and saying "dial john smith mobile", or download Dialer One from the market. That app will do exactly what you're asking for.

X
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    SamChg & DroidX
    Quote Originally Posted by NY-ROCKER View Post
    I just got the phone.

I am liking.. not loving yet. Coming from a blackberry tour.. (before that a curve).

So - I used to be able to just dial the phone for a name.. using the letters represented by the digits on the keypad.

Is there a way to do this ?

It seems the only way - is to go to contacts, then select search, then go into the search button and start typing the name.

Am I right?
    As far as I know, not on the stock DX. The DI Sense UI did have this feature, and I'm guessing HTC paid someone the royalties for it.

But ... If you can get used to doing something totally new, you may come to LOVE the DX. Put a shortcut to the "Voice Dialer" app on your desktop. With the Voice Dialer app, you don't have to type anything - you just speak to your DX. You just have to follow a few simple rules:

1. You need to speak their whole name as it appears in your DX Contacts List. So, you will need to say "Call Joe Schmoe", even if Joe Schmoe is the only "Joe" in your Contacts List.
    2. If the contact has more than one phone number in your Contacts List, you need to specify which number. So, using regular English, you would say "Call Joe Schmoe on Mobile", or "Call Joe Schmoe at Work".
    3. Remeber: Use the word "Mobile" instead of "Cell Phone". Basically, use the title of the phone type as it is stored in the Contacts List.

That's it. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find that you rarely type in contact names again.

Links