Hey all. I'm coming from the Droid 1 and now have a Droid X. The one thing that I cannot understand is that Motorola trashed the new gallery app for their non-graphical, ugly, boring Gallery app that doesn't even sync to Picasa. So, I decided to share this app with all the new DX users.
This was actually posted by 928Droid earlier in the year, but it works great on the Droid X. So I hope he doesn't mind me sharing it with all of you.
** Gallery3D.apk **
In order to install it, follow these directions:
- First download the .apk file to your Droid X (either by downloading it through your phone's browser or transferring it to the sdcard).
- Then, go into Settings > Applications and check the box next to Unknown Sources at the top.
- Once you've done that, go back to home, click on the App Drawer and choose Files (or Astro or any file manager that you've downloaded). Browse to where you put the .apk file. If you are using Files, choose Phone Files, and either open the download folder (if you downloaded it through your phone's browser) or find where you put the file on your sdcard.
- Click on the Gallery3DMT.zip file. If you are using Files, it will ask you to extract the files into the current folder. Choose Yes and it will create a Gallery3DMT folder. Choose that folder and click on the Gallery3DMT.apk file.
- It will ask you to install the file, so go ahead and choose Install. Once it's installed, click Open and you are good to go.
It may require you to grant access to your Picasa albums. Hit the home button and if you see a triangle in your notification bar (up top), bring the bar down and click on the triangle. Then grant the application access to your albums. Now, open the Gallery application back up and you should see your Picasa albums start to appear.
If you have a lot of different albums on your Picasa (as I do), then it may take awhile for it to detect them all. Sometimes I would have to move the screen back and forth for it to continue to download all my albums.
It really is a much better application than the one that comes with the DX. One issue I did see is that the camera button in the Gallery3D app does not actually work correctly. It just sends you straight back to the gallery.