DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Droid X: HDMI Out Demo

1. Super Mod/News Team
    Member #
    Liked
    594 times
    Twitter
    @Shadez69
    Phone
    Droid,Droid Bionic/Galaxy SIII
    Premium Member

The Droid X: HDMI Out Demo

09. Jul, 2010 written by Will | IntoMobile.com0 Comments

The Verizon Motorola Droid X is still about a week away from getting official, but that isn’t going to keep us from playing around with our own Droid X and putting all its best features to the test. There are a lot of awesome features to talk about here, but for the sake of time and your sanity, we’re going to limit this talk to the X’s HDMI-out capabilities. We’ve hooked up our big-screened Droid X to our big-screen TV to show you what it looks like when you output 720p HD video and high-resolution photos to an external monitor.

For those of you not yet familiar, the Verizon Motorola Droid X is the latest Android smartphone to don the Android superphone hat. It boasts a 4.3-inch touchscreen display, a 1Ghz processor, 8-megapixel camera (with dual-LED flash), 3G data, WiFi, GPS, Bluetooth and a microSD card slot. There are also three separate microphones to help cancel out background noise and pickup directional audio when you record video (in 720p HD quality, of course). The Droid X also has one stand-out feature that we’re starting to see more of with these big-screen Android phones – an HDMI-out port.

The ability to stream videos to your TV is great, but there are caveats. First, you’re going to need a special microHDMI-to-HDMI cable. The HDMI port is of the “micro” variety, so don’t go thinking you can just unplug your PS3′s HDMI cable and stick it in the Droid X. Second, you’re going to have to have a TV with an HDMI input. Satisfy these two caveats and you’ll be streaming high-def pictures and movies to your dumb-box, complete with audio, in no time flat.

Here’s how it works. Plug the HDMI cable into your TV. Then you plug the microHDMI side of the cable into the X. Switch your TV to the correct input and you’re all set. You’ll notice that your TV screen will be blank until you pull up a photo or video. That’s because the X won’t output your homescreen or any other Android interfaces to your TV – it just doesn’t work like that. But, when you fire up the gallery and click on a picture or start playing a video, you’ll notice that instead of playing the content on your Droid X, the images or video will start playing on your TV.

From what we saw in our tests, video quality is pretty good. Our test TV was huge, so even 720p video looked a little pixelated, but we’re happy to say that HD videos played without any audio skips or dropped frames – even when fast forwarding. You can also stream a slideshow of photos from the X.

It can take a second or two for the Droid X to push the video stream to the TV, but that’s really just a trivial matter.

So, our conclusion for the Motorola Droid X HDMI-out feature? It works as advertised. Audio and video quality are top notch and should impress even the worst techno-snobs in your circle of friends. It sure impressed us!

Oh, and this HDMI demo hasn’t sold you on the X, don’t forget to check out our full VerizonMotorola Droid X review here.
    Verizon Motorola Droid X review

The Droid X: HDMI-Out Demo | Androidheadlines.com

3. DF News Team
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto DROID !!!
    Premium Member
    Nice little video tutorial on HDMI out. the remote control features are pretty cool.
    GTalk: mabramson1@gmail.com
    twitter: @m_abramson
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    27 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    nice!

(msg too short ugh)
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Awesome feature. I can't wait for next Thursday!
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    VZW DROID X Rooted
    So i'm guessing that emulators will not work? :-(
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid A855
    So you can play movies through it?
    FroYo
    Follow me on
    Twitter
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by JCo352 View Post
    So you can play movies through it?
    Thats what I gathered from it.
    "Harley Davidson - The Perfect Machine to Turn Gasoline into Noise Without the Pesky Bi-Product of Horsepower!"
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    This sucks , my old Omnia 2 had video out and was able to output everything , home-screen , applications etc . Why would they do this ?
  10. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by smokiedabong View Post
    This sucks , my old Omnia 2 had video out and was able to output everything , home-screen , applications etc . Why would they do this ?
    I hope root access (if we have get it) could offer the ability to output everything. Playing emulators on a flat screen tv while using a wii remote would be pretty awesome.
  11. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    I'm a little confused, I appreciate your HDMI video post it was great!!!.... Ive been trying to get my info from the blogs without much help.I have heard that the DROIDX only plays native video through the HDMI to your TV (Native video to me is video that you shoot with the device.) I saw in your demo of the HDMI both video and movies. Can you give the scoop? Thanks!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links