DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Buddy/Alternate Upgrade? Also question about adding a new line

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Buddy/Alternate Upgrade? Also question about adding a new line

Just a quick question I'm sure someone can answer - I have a Motorola Droid right now, a line on my family plan is eligible for an upgrade. Is it possible for me to buy a Droid X using that line's discount, and activate it on my own line? I know the early upgrade promotion says you can't do a buddy upgrade, but this is a NE2 upgrade we've had for about 6 months and just haven't used.

Secondly - and this is just something I'm curious about, not interested in doing as I am with the first paragraph - I saw another user here say they were going to add a new line just to get a Droid X, and then just use the phone on their own account and strip that new line down so it's just a useless $10/month line. Does Verizon actually allow this? It just seems to me that if you buy a $200 Droid X (after rebate) on a new line, and strip that line down, you'll pay a total $440 over the course of the 2-year agreement. I saw estimates here that a Droid X at launch without contract will be around $600. If that's accurate, couldn't you (in theory) add the new line and purchase the phone at the $440 cost, and then sell the Droid X and make roughly $150 off the whole thing? I don't have an interest in doing that, since it just seems like it would be a hassle, but it seems like something that Verizon would have safeguards in place to prevent people from doing.

3. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sjohn902 View Post
    Just a quick question I'm sure someone can answer - I have a Motorola Droid right now, a line on my family plan is eligible for an upgrade. Is it possible for me to buy a Droid X using that line's discount, and activate it on my own line? I know the early upgrade promotion says you can't do a buddy upgrade, but this is a NE2 upgrade we've had for about 6 months and just haven't used.
    Yes, it can be done. It's called an Alternate upgrade.
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    HTC Incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by sjohn902 View Post

Secondly - and this is just something I'm curious about, not interested in doing as I am with the first paragraph - I saw another user here say they were going to add a new line just to get a Droid X, and then just use the phone on their own account and strip that new line down so it's just a useless $10/month line. Does Verizon actually allow this? It just seems to me that if you buy a $200 Droid X (after rebate) on a new line, and strip that line down, you'll pay a total $440 over the course of the 2-year agreement. I saw estimates here that a Droid X at launch without contract will be around $600. If that's accurate, couldn't you (in theory) add the new line and purchase the phone at the $440 cost, and then sell the Droid X and make roughly $150 off the whole thing? I don't have an interest in doing that, since it just seems like it would be a hassle, but it seems like something that Verizon would have safeguards in place to prevent people from doing.
    alternate upgade to answer your first question

second part is the $350 etf on that $10 line that prevents that from happening
    HTC Incredible - Rooted

RETIRED 5/27/10
    Moto DROID - Rooted
    SPRecovery 0.99.3
    Smoked Glass 6.0.1
    N1+DROID Boot Animation
    AdamZ Custom Kernel OC @ 1.1ghz

Links