DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 25

Thread: To leave my iPhone 3GS

  1. Master Droid
    mcapozzi's Avatar
    Member #
    70598
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Liverpool, NY
    Posts
    272
    Phone
    Droid X
    #11
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    or check out the iPhone 4... it's pretty awesome too (just not AS awesome)
    I don't know about the awesomeness of the iPhone 4...

    Some iPhone 4 models dropping calls when held left-handed, including ours (video) -- Engadget

    That looks more like fail than awesome.
    Theres been several android devices to have major issues, whats the difference.
    The difference is, with Apple, there aren't any other choices for devices. So if their only model sucks, then the whole platform takes a hit.

    We're lucky with Android, we can avoid the occasional crap handset and the platform/brand doesn't suffer.

    -Mike
  2. Droid Ninja
    armeddroid's Avatar
    Member #
    26261
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Traffic Capital
    Posts
    1,655
    Liked
    48 times
    Twitter
    chinoali
    Phone
    Tbolt, Rezound & Nexus 7
    #12

    Re: To leave my iPhone 3GS

    lol i'm a mod there too.. you'd be surprised who has/supports apple products on this staff. i actually don
    Small world, Im a super mod on a very large iphone forum and totally agree with you.

    iOS and android are both excellent platforms and have excellent devices - it all comes down to user preference.

    Its sad to see so many close minded "mine is the best and everything else sucks" people though (not pointing any fingers, just sayin)
    +1

    from Tapatalk widget
  3. Droid Ninja
    cpjr's Avatar
    Member #
    17607
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,598
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    #13
    Quote Originally Posted by mcapozzi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseider View Post

    I don't know about the awesomeness of the iPhone 4...

    Some iPhone 4 models dropping calls when held left-handed, including ours (video) -- Engadget

    That looks more like fail than awesome.
    Theres been several android devices to have major issues, whats the difference.
    The difference is, with Apple, there aren't any other choices for devices. So if their only model sucks, then the whole platform takes a hit.

    We're lucky with Android, we can avoid the occasional crap handset and the platform/brand doesn't suffer.

    -Mike
    You do have a point there, only good thing is Apple is fairly responsive to taking care of issues like that.....obviously, since it is their only line of mobile devices they have alot riding on it.
  4. Droid Ninja
    cpjr's Avatar
    Member #
    17607
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    1,598
    Phone
    HTC ThunderBolt
    #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseider View Post

    I don't know about the awesomeness of the iPhone 4...

    Some iPhone 4 models dropping calls when held left-handed, including ours (video) -- Engadget

    That looks more like fail than awesome.
    Theres been several android devices to have major issues, whats the difference.
    Major issues? Like being unable to be used as a phone when held major? Or slight light leakage from the bottom left corner of an EVO major? Maybe stored screenshots of bookmarked websites on SDcard for easy recognition in browser major? Last I checked not a single Android device suffered from a flaw that prevented it from being used for its' primary purpose, you know, a phone.
    I had to return my first Incredible because reception completely sucked, it had none.

    And these are just a few counts of complaints from a handful of people that got their devices actually earlier than expected and none of which has been verified "by the masses" yet. Seriously, before you go wrapping up conclusions at least wait to see the end result. My personal experience has been to have to return now, both my droid (bad speaker) and incredible (reception) and Ive been lucky enought to never return an iphone in 3 years.

    I am by no means an Apple fanboy.....I love Apple products and I also use and love my Android devices (both Droid and incredible).....
    But I do believe in being open minded and giving people a fair shot before totally condemning them.
  5. Droid Ninja
    Darkseider's Avatar
    Member #
    46256
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,869
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #15
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cpjr View Post

    Theres been several android devices to have major issues, whats the difference.
    Major issues? Like being unable to be used as a phone when held major? Or slight light leakage from the bottom left corner of an EVO major? Maybe stored screenshots of bookmarked websites on SDcard for easy recognition in browser major? Last I checked not a single Android device suffered from a flaw that prevented it from being used for its' primary purpose, you know, a phone.
    I had to return my first Incredible because reception completely sucked, it had none.

    And these are just a few counts of complaints from a handful of people that got their devices actually earlier than expected and none of which has been verified "by the masses" yet. Seriously, before you go wrapping up conclusions at least wait to see the end result. My personal experience has been to have to return now, both my droid (bad speaker) and incredible (reception) and Ive been lucky enought to never return an iphone in 3 years.

    I am by no means an Apple fanboy.....I love Apple products and I also use and love my Android devices (both Droid and incredible).....
    But I do believe in being open minded and giving people a fair shot before totally condemning them.
    No. No fair shot for Apple because they fired the first shot against Android. First they tout their experience, apps, OS and finally hardware as superior. Remember according to Steve Jobs, Android is for PORN! There is no fair shot with that prick and the company he runs along with the masses of nut sack cradling lemmings he has created. Now his magical, sprinkled in pixie dust super unicorn of a phone has more flaws in it than Lady GaGa's wardrobe. Plain and simple if Steve Jobs is big enough to lay out the quips and insults he is going to take them 10x in return. Karma is a finicky ***** ain't she?
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

    LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

    It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  6. Super Moderator
    jntdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    6110
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    6,438
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    #16
    Ok Darkseider, I know from other posts that you have historical reasons, as well, for hating Apple, but you're going a bit overboard now, in my humble opinion, in your generalizations. Google is no different than Apple. Their bottom line goal is to increase value for their shareholders. Why? B/c they are a for-profit corporation. Do they go about this differently? Yes. Is Google's way better than Apple's? I would argue no. People like Apple b/c Apple makes their life easier and they don't have to think about their Apple stuff for it to work - which is ok because they pump out phones and computers... some people actually have lives to focus on and don't want to worry about their stuff working. Are there lemmings? Yes. Are there Google/Android lemmings? You better believe it, and if you don't, you're fooling yourself. The only difference is, the Google/Android "lemmings" can tout themselves as simply "contrarians" that don't like some big evil corporation to "control how they use their phone", or whatever. I guarantee you if you move over to the ad side of Google, you'll find a LOT of people that hate how Google is running their business and likely put them in the same camp as Apple, or MS, or whomever. We, as Android/Gwhatever users, rarely see or experience that side. We only see all the free, open, "don't be evil" stuff that Google brings to the table.

    The bottom line is user preference is the only thing that matters, and Apple and Google both have a lot of users that prefer one or the other for no other reason than that's what they like. If you actually think that morality or some philosophical reasons play a part in supporting a corporation, especially one that pumps out tech related products where the general public couldn't care less about how their product works, then I'm curious what other corporations you might support and their practices? I'm speaking for myself here as well. If we all stopped using products of companies whose practices we didn't like or didn't agree with (again, I'm talking about things like open-source or a closed garden - not sweat shops in China), we would have to stop using a lot more products than we realize.

    And, DS, I didn't mean to sound like I singled you out - there are a lot of people that think that way and I simply think it's just as bad as the Apple fanboys. But to generalize Apple fans as nut sack cradling lemmings and to call Steve Jobs a prick (unless you know him personally?) is flat out frustrating to hear.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

    Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Darkseider's Avatar
    Member #
    46256
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,869
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #17
    Quote Originally Posted by jntowers View Post
    Ok Darkseider, I know from other posts that you have historical reasons, as well, for hating Apple, but you're going a bit overboard now, in my humble opinion, in your generalizations. Google is no different than Apple. Their bottom line goal is to increase value for their shareholders. Why? B/c they are a for-profit corporation. Do they go about this differently? Yes. Is Google's way better than Apple's? I would argue no. People like Apple b/c Apple makes their life easier and they don't have to think about their Apple stuff for it to work - which is ok because they pump out phones and computers... some people actually have lives to focus on and don't want to worry about their stuff working. Are there lemmings? Yes. Are there Google/Android lemmings? You better believe it, and if you don't, you're fooling yourself. The only difference is, the Google/Android "lemmings" can tout themselves as simply "contrarians" that don't like some big evil corporation to "control how they use their phone", or whatever. I guarantee you if you move over to the ad side of Google, you'll find a LOT of people that hate how Google is running their business and likely put them in the same camp as Apple, or MS, or whomever. We, as Android/Gwhatever users, rarely see or experience that side. We only see all the free, open, "don't be evil" stuff that Google brings to the table.

    The bottom line is user preference is the only thing that matters, and Apple and Google both have a lot of users that prefer one or the other for no other reason than that's what they like. If you actually think that morality or some philosophical reasons play a part in supporting a corporation, especially one that pumps out tech related products where the general public couldn't care less about how their product works, then I'm curious what other corporations you might support and their practices? I'm speaking for myself here as well. If we all stopped using products of companies whose practices we didn't like or didn't agree with (again, I'm talking about things like open-source or a closed garden - not sweat shops in China), we would have to stop using a lot more products than we realize.

    And, DS, I didn't mean to sound like I singled you out - there are a lot of people that think that way and I simply think it's just as bad as the Apple fanboys. But to generalize Apple fans as nut sack cradling lemmings and to call Steve Jobs a prick (unless you know him personally?) is flat out frustrating to hear.
    Well sorry I frustrate you but I am no more a Google fanboy than I am an Apple fanboy. Right now Google offers the best overall solution for a smartphone in its' OS, Android. The hardware running this OS is manufactured by multiple companies giving freedom and choice. Not only a choice of hardware and design but carrier as well. To generalized Apple fans as nut sack cradling lemmings, yeah I think I got that spot on, have you seen the Darwin award winners waiting in line for up to a WEEK early with multiple changes of clothing just in case they soil themselves!!? REALLY? As for Steve Jobs being a prick, although I don't know him personally, the few times I have met him he has been a flat out jack ass. On the flipside Steve Wozniak was cool as hell! So first impressions do count. Unfortunately for Steve Jobs his first impression sucked as have all the others that followed.
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

    LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

    It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  8. Super Moderator
    jntdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    6110
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    6,438
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jntowers View Post
    Ok Darkseider, I know from other posts that you have historical reasons, as well, for hating Apple, but you're going a bit overboard now, in my humble opinion, in your generalizations. Google is no different than Apple. Their bottom line goal is to increase value for their shareholders. Why? B/c they are a for-profit corporation. Do they go about this differently? Yes. Is Google's way better than Apple's? I would argue no. People like Apple b/c Apple makes their life easier and they don't have to think about their Apple stuff for it to work - which is ok because they pump out phones and computers... some people actually have lives to focus on and don't want to worry about their stuff working. Are there lemmings? Yes. Are there Google/Android lemmings? You better believe it, and if you don't, you're fooling yourself. The only difference is, the Google/Android "lemmings" can tout themselves as simply "contrarians" that don't like some big evil corporation to "control how they use their phone", or whatever. I guarantee you if you move over to the ad side of Google, you'll find a LOT of people that hate how Google is running their business and likely put them in the same camp as Apple, or MS, or whomever. We, as Android/Gwhatever users, rarely see or experience that side. We only see all the free, open, "don't be evil" stuff that Google brings to the table.

    The bottom line is user preference is the only thing that matters, and Apple and Google both have a lot of users that prefer one or the other for no other reason than that's what they like. If you actually think that morality or some philosophical reasons play a part in supporting a corporation, especially one that pumps out tech related products where the general public couldn't care less about how their product works, then I'm curious what other corporations you might support and their practices? I'm speaking for myself here as well. If we all stopped using products of companies whose practices we didn't like or didn't agree with (again, I'm talking about things like open-source or a closed garden - not sweat shops in China), we would have to stop using a lot more products than we realize.

    And, DS, I didn't mean to sound like I singled you out - there are a lot of people that think that way and I simply think it's just as bad as the Apple fanboys. But to generalize Apple fans as nut sack cradling lemmings and to call Steve Jobs a prick (unless you know him personally?) is flat out frustrating to hear.
    Well sorry I frustrate you but I am no more a Google fanboy than I am an Apple fanboy. Right now Google offers the best overall solution for a smartphone in its' OS, Android. The hardware running this OS is manufactured by multiple companies giving freedom and choice. Not only a choice of hardware and design but carrier as well. To generalized Apple fans as nut sack cradling lemmings, yeah I think I got that spot on, have you seen the Darwin award winners waiting in line for up to a WEEK early with multiple changes of clothing just in case they soil themselves!!? REALLY? As for Steve Jobs being a prick, although I don't know him personally, the few times I have met him he has been a flat out jack ass. On the flipside Steve Wozniak was cool as hell! So first impressions do count. Unfortunately for Steve Jobs his first impression sucked as have all the others that followed.
    Well first of all, forgive me if I came across aggressively or just flat out rude. I typed that quickly and had just gotten off the phone with a client who was being completely irrational... and irrationality is one of my pet peeves (mirror planted in front of me).

    "Right now Google offers the best overall solution for a smartphone in its' OS, Android. The hardware running this OS is manufactured by multiple companies giving freedom and choice. Not only a choice of hardware and design but carrier as well."

    I still have to say that doesn't matter to 90% of the people out there so is somewhat of a moot point. To those in the know, such as yourself, that might be important, but most people couldn't care less.
    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

    Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Darkseider's Avatar
    Member #
    46256
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,869
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #19
    Quote Originally Posted by jntowers View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseider View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jntowers View Post
    Ok Darkseider, I know from other posts that you have historical reasons, as well, for hating Apple, but you're going a bit overboard now, in my humble opinion, in your generalizations. Google is no different than Apple. Their bottom line goal is to increase value for their shareholders. Why? B/c they are a for-profit corporation. Do they go about this differently? Yes. Is Google's way better than Apple's? I would argue no. People like Apple b/c Apple makes their life easier and they don't have to think about their Apple stuff for it to work - which is ok because they pump out phones and computers... some people actually have lives to focus on and don't want to worry about their stuff working. Are there lemmings? Yes. Are there Google/Android lemmings? You better believe it, and if you don't, you're fooling yourself. The only difference is, the Google/Android "lemmings" can tout themselves as simply "contrarians" that don't like some big evil corporation to "control how they use their phone", or whatever. I guarantee you if you move over to the ad side of Google, you'll find a LOT of people that hate how Google is running their business and likely put them in the same camp as Apple, or MS, or whomever. We, as Android/Gwhatever users, rarely see or experience that side. We only see all the free, open, "don't be evil" stuff that Google brings to the table.

    The bottom line is user preference is the only thing that matters, and Apple and Google both have a lot of users that prefer one or the other for no other reason than that's what they like. If you actually think that morality or some philosophical reasons play a part in supporting a corporation, especially one that pumps out tech related products where the general public couldn't care less about how their product works, then I'm curious what other corporations you might support and their practices? I'm speaking for myself here as well. If we all stopped using products of companies whose practices we didn't like or didn't agree with (again, I'm talking about things like open-source or a closed garden - not sweat shops in China), we would have to stop using a lot more products than we realize.

    And, DS, I didn't mean to sound like I singled you out - there are a lot of people that think that way and I simply think it's just as bad as the Apple fanboys. But to generalize Apple fans as nut sack cradling lemmings and to call Steve Jobs a prick (unless you know him personally?) is flat out frustrating to hear.
    Well sorry I frustrate you but I am no more a Google fanboy than I am an Apple fanboy. Right now Google offers the best overall solution for a smartphone in its' OS, Android. The hardware running this OS is manufactured by multiple companies giving freedom and choice. Not only a choice of hardware and design but carrier as well. To generalized Apple fans as nut sack cradling lemmings, yeah I think I got that spot on, have you seen the Darwin award winners waiting in line for up to a WEEK early with multiple changes of clothing just in case they soil themselves!!? REALLY? As for Steve Jobs being a prick, although I don't know him personally, the few times I have met him he has been a flat out jack ass. On the flipside Steve Wozniak was cool as hell! So first impressions do count. Unfortunately for Steve Jobs his first impression sucked as have all the others that followed.
    Well first of all, forgive me if I came across aggressively or just flat out rude. I typed that quickly and had just gotten off the phone with a client who was being completely irrational... and irrationality is one of my pet peeves (mirror planted in front of me).

    "Right now Google offers the best overall solution for a smartphone in its' OS, Android. The hardware running this OS is manufactured by multiple companies giving freedom and choice. Not only a choice of hardware and design but carrier as well."

    I still have to say that doesn't matter to 90% of the people out there so is somewhat of a moot point. To those in the know, such as yourself, that might be important, but most people couldn't care less.
    Understood, no offense taken. So assuming that to 90% of the people choice and freedom doesn't matter and irrationality being one of your pet peeves, what percentage of that 90% would classify as being irrational for not weighing their purchasing options or for that matter waiting in line, skipping work or even soiling themselves to get an iPhone 4? All on the word of the Steve Jobs saying it is the greatest thing since the first coming of Christ?
    OG Droid w/ Pete's GPA16 w/ stock Kernel using auto OC script. (retired)

    LG G2X w/ rooted 2.3.3 leak.

    It's OK for your Droid to be different. Just be supportive and reassuring and it will do just fine. It's when you or other people point at it or mock it for being different is when its' feelings get hurt. Just show it unconditional love regardless of its' differences and it will in turn reciprocate that love and loyalty.
  10. Super Moderator
    jntdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    6110
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    6,438
    Liked
    808 times
    Phone
    Verizon S4
    Premium Member
    #20
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkseider View Post
    Understood, no offense taken. So assuming that to 90% of the people choice and freedom doesn't matter and irrationality being one of your pet peeves, what percentage of that 90% would classify as being irrational for not weighing their purchasing options or for that matter waiting in line, skipping work or even soiling themselves to get an iPhone 4? All on the word of the Steve Jobs saying it is the greatest thing since the first coming of Christ?
    Well, the 90% number I obviously pulled out of my rear, so to be more accurate (or rather less accurate, but more rational ), I would replace 90% with "large majority".

    I'm saying that a "large majority" don't care about freedom and choice when it comes to things like smartphones and computers. They want what works and what's easiest for them to use. I do believe that this is changing, especially as kids are growing up so tech "savvy" now.

    There are so many subjective things to weigh in this situation... simplicity of use, familiarity, cost, carriers (yes some people actually have good service with AT&T), upgrade/switching cost, functionality, etc... that I don't think rationality necessarily plays a huge part. For example, if AT&T's service was as bad as some people make it out to be, the iPhone would be rendered useless. But obviously AT&T's service has been good enough for most of their customers (their retention rate remains strong).

    The people that will soil themselves waiting in line? Yes, that's completely irrational and more sad than anything else. I get, if you're an Apple fan, wanting to do it for the "experience" () or whatever, that's their prerogative. But to go to those extremes when 2 weeks later you can likely walk in and get one... silly imho.

    So I guess you've called me out on something... irrationality is a pet peeve of mine, but it seems only when it's combined with dogmatism... and smartphones and software/hardware philosophies or practices are not something that, I think, require any sort of dogmatism at this point. It's not like open-source is more ethical or moral than the alternative. It's not like having freedom and choice of hardware is more moral or ethical than a company controlling/manufacturing every aspect of their build. One could make a good argument for both sides. (though I might contradict myself with my note to the OP at the end of this novel... )

    As for Steve Jobs, yeah he blows some smoke (what marketer doesn't?), and he may or may not be a jerk, but you gotta credit him for being passionate about his products, likely to a fault at times.


    On a "side" note , to help the OP out a little, this is extremely interesting... doesn't seem widespread, but if there are even 10% that are doing this, I would consider it a huge problem:

    "...life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it."

    Guidelines of Conduct
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. I fear I must leave the forums
    By chrisoverly in forum Android Smart Phones
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-07-2010, 12:12 PM
  2. Please leave a +1 if....
    By mike919 in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-05-2010, 12:42 AM
  3. Leave bluetooth on all day?
    By mitchb2 in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 08:24 PM
  4. Another battery question - Do you leave GPS on?
    By bodean in forum Android General Discussions
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 12-17-2009, 08:45 PM
  5. leave display on while charging?
    By ujhony03 in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 05:31 PM

Search tags for this page

i want to bring my iphone 3gs to verizon

,

it's ok if i left my iphone 4 connect all day

,

motorola triumph reception

,

should i leave my iphone on

,

why leave iphone 3gs

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+