DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: OK, who's planning on upgrading to the Droid X

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Rezound

Cool Upgrading to Droid X

I cancelled my Droid Incredible order so I could get the Droid X. Does not look like VZW is accepting pre-orders, so I will just wait until July 15th and pick it up at VZW store. I am not eligible for an upgrade this year so I will be paying the full price and go on month to month contract.

I currently have a Blackberry Storm 2 but it pales in comparison to what the new Android phones can do. Just don't want to wait until I am eligible for the annual upgrade either to get a new Droid phone at a discount.

I am just happy that VZW let me cancel my internet Incredible order. I read on some other forums that VZW would not cancel the order and you had to refuse the package when it was delivered. Very lame.
  2. RS Admin
    Member #
    Liked
    1682 times
    Phone
    moto droid
    Premium Member
    I am pushing all my chips to the table for this device:

computerworld:

News
    Motorola exec boasts of 2 GHz processor coming to Android

Faster processing needed for gamers, but also multi-tasking workers

By Matt Hamblen
    June 11, 2010 12:55 PM ET
    Comments (9)
    Recommended (23)
    Facebook
    Twitter

Computerworld - A smartphone OS war has not officially been declared, but some of the generals are already lining up soldiers for attack.
    After iPhone 4 was announced by Apple CEO Steve Jobs on Monday, one of the biggest promoters of the Android OS, Motorola executive Sanjay Jha, said Thursday his company will roll out an Android smartphone with a 2 GHz processor by year's end. That would be double the 1GHz Snapdragon processor used in several of the fastest smartphones on the market today and double the coming iPhone 4, which ships on June 24.
    Jha is CEO of Motorola's consumer division. His comments about the 2 GHz smartphone during a speech at the Executives Club of Chicago, were reported by Conceivably Tech and some other sites.
    Motorola officials could not be reached to elaborate, but Conceivably Tech, citing an unidentified Motorola executive, said the new 2 GHz smartphone would run Android, would have a gyroscope like the iPhone 4, and an Nvidia Tegra-based graphics processor with full Flash 10.1 hardware acceleration. That executive also said the upcoming Android phone would support 720p video output, with high definition screen resolution, and a camera with more than 5 megapixel resolution.

Mobile Wars

Jha also said that companies would start giving their workers smartphones instead of laptops in two years. Smartphones will have "faster and faster access to information," Jha said, according to Conceivably Tech.
    Many analysts and some IT executives have questioned why workers need a 1 GHz processor, let alone one with 2 GHz, for access to enterprise applications and e-mail, although the speed could come in handy if the smartphone was truly replacing a laptop. Mostly, fast processing is sought by gamers, not workers, they noted.
    Faster processors, however, are considered essential to smooth playing of video and multi-tasking, which could become more essential if companies rely on mobile devices for video calls or to play video training films for sales or technicians.
    Some companies will want faster processing speed to have one application on a smartphone running in the background, while another runs in the foreground. Using an inventory application, for example, a technician could check a server over a wireless connection in the background to find a needed part, while the technician would be using e-mail or voice in the foreground to talk to a customer.
    Today's Snapdragon processors, with 1 GHz speeds, from Qualcomm will be replaced by 1.5 GHz Snapdragons later this year that are capable of running 1080p HD video on smartphones, Qualcomm has announced.
    Current 1GHz Snapdragon processors run in the recently released HTC Droid Incredible and the HTC Evo 4G released by Sprint Nextel and others last Friday. The Evo's processor speed and access to faster 4G networks over the WiMax network have attracted some buyers, giving Sprint its best first day sales for any smartphone, although the company later had to adjust its original first day sales figures numbers. _
    Last year's iPhone 3GS ran on an Arm Cortex A8 processor that clocked at 600 MHz, and the Apple A4, coming in the iPhone 4 on June 24, will run at 1 GHz.
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnDroid View Post
    I think I am going to upgrade, I love that huge screen.

Anyone else?
    It's like the Windows 7 Commercial for me. I *****ed on the Droid as it was clunky and had a messed up keyboard. I Said, "they need a bigger screen"... it "was my idea".

Here it comes, I can't wait...
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by littlerick View Post
    i'm still on the fence, if the whole blur ui will slow down updates then i'm staying away. i like plain vanilla
    I don't know what blur is, just heard about it the other day. Obviously I don't think i will like it from what i have heard so far, (i have 12 more pages to read on this thread alone).
    Why would they ruin a perfectly good thing by putting some stupid front end on the phone?
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by jroc View Post
    I am definitely considering buyin the Droid X. My main concern is that the touch screen isn't going to be like Omnia (yes.. I said a bad bad word in an awesome site.. forgive me!) The screen looks awesome, definitely looks snappy and I'm drooling at the thought of a rooted X.
    What the Omnia 2? Cuz the Omnia 1 was some garbage. Resistive screens..boooo. I assume the Omnia 2 has capacitive.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    the O2 was / is Resistive. I had one for less than 30 days.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by titans View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ldefranco View Post
    With Verizon saying anybody with a contract up in 2010 can upgrade early on launch day, does anybody else think this early upgrade option will also apply to New Every 2? My contract (and NE2) is up in December 2010, and I am eligible for both in August per VZWs 4 month grace period on 2 year plans and I was wondering if the early upgrade option will also apply to the NE2. Thoughts?
    Yes this is true. If your contract is up in 2010 you can upgrade to this phone when it comes out. And I'm pretty sure on the main line, you can upgrade once a year.
    Cool, and the "main line" in my case is the line that is the Highest on the bill. (we have a Business Share plan, and my line gets an upgrade every year... )
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by OhBeeWan View Post
    Nope, sorry. Any device running CDMA is limited. UMTS/GSM & 4G devices are world fones.

Quote Originally Posted by hookbill View Post
    I'm just checking guys, the X is not a world phone is it?
    Just because a phone runs CDMA does not mean it's not a world phone. My BB is a World phone (running CDMA, it is also a quad band and can run GSM if needed).

The Droid X is not a quad band from what i see and does not have a SIM Card...
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid baby!
    Too many versions and new phones coming out for me to upgrade now. I'm waiting till the the 4g models hit.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainlover View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ldefranco View Post
    With Verizon saying anybody with a contract up in 2010 can upgrade early on launch day, does anybody else think this early upgrade option will also apply to New Every 2? My contract (and NE2) is up in December 2010, and I am eligible for both in August per VZWs 4 month grace period on 2 year plans and I was wondering if the early upgrade option will also apply to the NE2. Thoughts?

I called customer service to ask about this today. She said that I can upgrade right away but I won't get my NE2 discount unless I wait until Aug. 18.
    That's the Dilemma i have..!... I have a NE2 on my line that is the $100 ne2. do i wait on that line until September to just do the Annual upgrade...
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PorcPuffer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kmasum View Post
    i got my moto droid jan 2010, theres noway i will be able to get X unless i pay full price.. arggg.. guys any tricks to pay lower price to get X ?

Might seem like a dumb idea but when you do the math, (well this is all assuming the Droid is a 175$ cancellation fee rather than the new 350$ cancellation fees for smart phones, if it is 350. ignore me lol) it is sometimes cheaper to pay the ETF than it is to pay retail for the phone.

Also not sure if your on a family plan or not but could try getting your droid line and switching to an old non-smart phone then getting the plan as cheap as possible and adding the droid x as a new line. (this is my route) I.E... i have my old envy and on a family plan it can be 10.00 per month and then getting the droid for 10+30 for data. So total 50/month but cheaper than paying retail.
    etf is the huge number now...

i'm in. been reading for three hours now (should be sleeping) and can't find a single reason not to. man i love big screens...
    I think you will lose your number if you Cancel and take the ETF. to keep your number you would need to PORT away from VZW, and you can't port back for 6Mo with that number.....
Page 13 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Links