DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GPS Help!

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

GPS Help!

So recently, the GPS on my droid x takes forever to tell me where to go. I put in my destination and the map shows up and the screen shows, searching for GPS. Then it just sits there searching for like 5 minutes! I need my gps for work and sometimes I just need to pull out a map book and look up the directions. Nothing has changed on my phone and I haven't changed anything. I've tried everything and nothing helps. Help please, and thank you
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx, Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by apstang50 View Post
    So recently, the GPS on my droid x takes forever to tell me where to go. I put in my destination and the map shows up and the screen shows, searching for GPS. Then it just sits there searching for like 5 minutes! I need my gps for work and sometimes I just need to pull out a map book and look up the directions. Nothing has changed on my phone and I haven't changed anything. I've tried everything and nothing helps. Help please, and thank you
    GPS connection strength will vary by the area you're in and how cloudy it is in the sky. The speed of your internet connection and whether you're using 3G or wifi will also effect how fast you download the directions. That means it'll take a different amount of time to get your directions every time you use it.

You could try clearing the cache for the app (go to Settings>Applications>Manage Applications>Maps>Clear Data)
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Along with what leftspin said you can also try Gps status & toolbox app it's free in the playstore so you have nothing to lose. Ive heard good things about that app.

Sent from my Droid X using DroidForums
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    I was having this same problem as the OP about a year ago and found a thread with a solution that worked for me and many others but does not seem to work for everyone but it is simple and worth a try.

Take off the battery cover and place a piece of tape on the back cover where a pin from the main case next to the battery touches and battery cover.
    Pics below show the are i am talking about and if you look at the back cover carefully you can see the tape over the scratch on the back cover caused by the gold pin in the other picture next to the battery release tab.

5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx, Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by schatzy62 View Post
    I was having this same problem as the OP about a year ago and found a thread with a solution that worked for me and many others but does not seem to work for everyone but it is simple and worth a try.

Take off the battery cover and place a piece of tape on the back cover where a pin from the main case next to the battery touches and battery cover.
    Pics below show the are i am talking about and if you look at the back cover carefully you can see the tape over the scratch on the back cover caused by the gold pin in the other picture next to the battery release tab.

I'm sorry but how exactly does a piece of tape on the inside of the battery door effect GPS performance at all? I don't wanna sound rude here but I'm having a hard time believing that
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid 4
    The battery cover is anodized aluminum and as such is not a great conductor. During removal and replacement the anodize surface is worn thru by the small gold pin and when it finally meets the raw aluminum (which is a fairly good conductor) it acts as a ground plane and reduces the GPS signal to the GPS antenna. This reduction in signal makes it a lot harder for the GPS receiver to "lock on" to the satellites. So it takes a lot longer for the GPS receiver to come to be usable.

I have tested the signal strength with and with out the tape is place and there is a 37% reduction in the signal without the tape on my phone. Others have been in the range of 5% to 40% reduction.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx, Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by schatzy62
    The battery cover is anodized aluminum and as such is not a great conductor. During removal and replacement the anodize surface is worn thru by the small gold pin and when it finally meets the raw aluminum (which is a fairly good conductor) it acts as a ground plane and reduces the GPS signal to the GPS antenna. This reduction in signal makes it a lot harder for the GPS receiver to "lock on" to the satellites. So it takes a lot longer for the GPS receiver to come to be usable.

I have tested the signal strength with and with out the tape is place and there is a 37% reduction in the signal without the tape on my phone. Others have been in the range of 5% to 40% reduction.
    Thanks for the explanation, I always thought it was plastic
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    It doesn't matter if there is not a cloud in the sky or if it's raining! I've tried clearing the cache for maps and it made no difference. I always use 3g for gps cause wifi never works for gps. I don't know what changed cause it always worked instantly and now it takes for ever to get the turn by turn directions. I need gps for my work and I don't want to have to buy a seperate gps unit if my "smart" phone has it, it was one of the reasons I got the phone!
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Are you rooted or stock?
  10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Stock