DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Firmware?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Twitter
    soulshot96
    Phone
    GALAXY NEXUS LTE
    You guys will prob. get updates to fix some bugs but a upgrade to newer firmware for the X is unlikely. And a little tip. Try a factory reset. Updateing the firmware on your phone with all your old apps installed can lead to bugs. Same thing happened when some galaxy s users got froyo. Factory reset cleared it right up.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X 2.2 Froyo
    can you help a brother out by giving advice on how we should go about backing up all of our files/settings/configurations/etc cause when we do a factory reset we will loose everything (even root) right? thanks

Do I have to do it through an SDK or something?
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X 2.2 Froyo
    and whats the best rom? would you advise installing it (if we already have gingerbread and root already)?
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Twitter
    soulshot96
    Phone
    GALAXY NEXUS LTE
    You shouldn't lose root when factory resetting your phone. You can't back up settings as far as I know. So I'd write those down. Nothing but the app data will be deleted off the SD card. So your music, videos, pics, etc will be fine. I don't back up my data when doing a factory reset, but I've heard titanium backup works well. I think it costs money tho. I would just factory reset it and then I'd reinstall all of my apps.
    But if you're rooted this prob isn't a good idea. Factory restoring is for people who are unrooted and upgrade their firmware thru a update without factory resetting. The old apps were installed on the old firmware and might cause problems in the new firmware. But if you're rooted you should have reset your phone before you flashed the new rom.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Twitter
    soulshot96
    Phone
    GALAXY NEXUS LTE
    So don't reset you phone if your rooted. I'm running JTs vanilla gingerbread rom. Its great. But if only for certain galaxy s phones. So I can't recommend a rom to you. Sorry. I've seen peoples phones glitch and reboot b/c of not factory resetting between froyo and gingerbread or enclair and froyo.

6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    kaseykrehbiel
    Phone
    Droid X
    OK Wow, where to begin...

First, a new update for our phones came out this week that fixes most of the problems with GB. It's still 2.3.3, but it's way better than it was before. It solves all kinds of problems I personally have had and I'm sure everyone else will experience the same thing. It makes the Droid X a much more solid phone.

Second, if you're rooted, you must know how to use the bootstrapper. If you don't, it's pretty simple. Download it here: Droid 2 Recovery Bootstrap v1.0.0.3.apk (yes I know it's Droid 2 bootstrapper. Trust me it's the right one) and install it. Run it, then click bootstrap recovery, and then reboot recovery. If you want to back up your whole phone (in case you want to go back to the settings you have) there's a backup and restore menu in the recovery console. Please note that it backs up your entire phone, and you can't restore that backup unless your phone is already on the same Android version as the backup (restore FroYo to FroYo, GB to GB.) If you decide to upgrade, this isn't going to help you much unless you decide to go back to where you were. You'll want to reset all of your phone's settings anyway since you have a new ROM.

Third, I recommend Liberty GB. You can find the ROM here:
    [ROM] Liberty Gingerbread

And you can find how to install it here:
    From Liberty 2.0.1, Stock, Apex, CM7, etc. (ANY ROM) to Liberty GB

And you can find themes, answers to questions, mods, etc. for Liberty GB in the Liberty ROM DX forum here:
    Liberty ROM DX

One last note. No, you don't lose root if you do a factory reset. It just wipes all of your data. It won't even take you back to the stock ROM. It just takes you back to a fresh copy of whatever ROM your phone has installed on it, all the way back to having to activate your phone again (which really is no big deal.) And it doesn't do anything to your SD card.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links