DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is it possible o tether on a LIMITED Date Plan

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X rooted .596
    If Z4root worked then in your app drawer will be an app named "Superuser'. But you cannot do anything with it so no use trying To test that it is working, any easy free app to test with is 'CacheMate for root users free" orDrocap2 (takes screenshots).

If you are rooted, then it is up to you what you do next. If you like what you have, stay with it. I reccomend getting Titanium Backup and FREEZING unwanted apps. If you want to try something different, install a custom ROM that is already stripped of all the Verizon crap. Liberty, CyanogenMod, and Apex are all top custom ROMs.

You mentioned overclocking, that is a whole other discussion. I suggest you search the forum here for overclocking and read through some of those discussions. Every phone and CPU is different, what works for me may not work for you.
    Droid X rooted .602. Overclocked to 1.15ghz at 60 volts. Can run 1.4ghz stable.
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX

What you don't know can end up kicking you in the but.

Dear Friends,

As I mentioned yesterday, I rooted my phone. I felt like a superstar. Last night I noticed that my employer sponsored e-mail service was not longer working. Basically, I can not get my corporate e-mails, contacts, or calendar if I hae a rooted phone. In the words of Spaulding Schmaels, "Double Turds!!!". So as I was on the phne with tech support last night, I was quickly unrooting my phone so I could continue to play dumb. Now I have some new problems I would like some much needed help with.

1.) After I unrooted my phone and rebooted. My phone no longer works correctly. I.E., it has taken about 20 minutes to boot. Go Launcher force closes everytime. task killer will not come up. Is my phone now a brick?

2.) Is there a way to go into the phone and restore factory settings now that the phone is unrooted? I need a lot of help fast.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX

Good News

Dear Friends,

As I know many of you were probably worried sick about the problems I created for myself regarding my Droid X, I have some good news to report. My phone is not a Brick. For those of you out there wondering the same, I discovered that it you take the battery oout, put it back in, hold the power button AND the Home button, that it will take you to boor screen with a android bot and an exclamation point inside of a triangle. If you hit the search button, you then go to a "safeboot" screen with the option of returning to factory defaults. I did that. Now my phone is like brand new, going all the way back to February.

Cheers.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX

the New question.

Is it possible to root my phone, get the tethering app to allow me to tether my xoom, then unroot my phone, and have the tether app work correctly?
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Phone
    DX > SGS3
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaty1302 View Post
    Is it possible to root my phone, get the tethering app to allow me to tether my xoom, then unroot my phone, and have the tether app work correctly?

No. You have to maintain root for it to work. Root-only apps only work if you are rooted.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    kaseykrehbiel
    Phone
    Droid X
    No, it needs root to operate.

You might think about installing a custom ROM - I would look at the forums for each ROM. There have been many questions and answers about corporate contacts/calendar/email asked and answered in the Liberty forum. I'm sure the same is true with other ROMs.

I'm glad you found out how to factory reset your phone. I could have told you to do it if I hadn't been working this morning. :-D
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX

Curing cancer

OK Team,

I am surprised on how good all the advice I am getting truely is here. I sincerely say Thank you. Now, here is where I am at in my process: If i root my phone, I can not use my corporate e-mail / contacts / calendar. their program checks to see if it is a rooted phone, disables the app, wipes my contacts, and then gets me in trouble. My only motivation is to tether a Xoom to my Droid X with out having to pay an additional $20 to $30 bucks to use a limited data plan (Should Verizon care on which device I use the data). I read yesterday about tethering using Bluetooth. Is there any info on that to be shared with me the Noob?

Boaty1302
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X rooted .596
    What app are you using for the corporate email? If it is the default, stock Corporate Sync then it works just fine if you are rooted.
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX
    It proprietaty app. I would name it, but I don't want to tip my hand to anyone in my office that may monitor this thread.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X rooted .596
    Well that sucks. Lol. They won't let you use the stock sync or even a market app like TouchDown or K9 then? If it was my personal phone I would not have my work email on it if they demanded using a custom app that did not allow root access. But if it is a work phone then I understand why they would not want you messing with it.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links