DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it possible o tether on a LIMITED Date Plan

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX
    So if I understand you correctly, If I root my phone, then I can uninstall all of the stupid apps Verizon put on the phone before I bought it (Like VZ Navigator, My Verizon, and Blockbuster), and I can easily get different versions of Android? Way cool. And I can get my phone's data plan to allow me to tether? Even better. Now I have more questions. So, if I want Gingerbread on my phone now, I should just do the SBF? Can verizon stop me from tethering?
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    kaseykrehbiel
    Phone
    Droid X
    For the lay user, rooting comes with a lot of benefits. With a rooted phone, you can install a ROM like the Liberty ROM. I won't list that ROM's benefits here. I'll just link you to this page, which does a pretty good job of describing it to you itself:

[ROM] Liberty Gingerbread

Some of the features will be over your head for now, but as you get into this whole new world, you'll wonder why you never did it before, and you'll refuse to ever go back to a non-rooted phone.
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    kaseykrehbiel
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaty1302 View Post
    So if I understand you correctly, If I root my phone, then I can uninstall all of the stupid apps Verizon put on the phone before I bought it (Like VZ Navigator, My Verizon, and Blockbuster), and I can easily get different versions of Android? Way cool. And I can get my phone's data plan to allow me to tether? Even better. Now I have more questions. So, if I want Gingerbread on my phone now, I should just do the SBF? Can verizon stop me from tethering?
    Verizon tried to stop us from tethering. If you follow my instructions, you'll be able to do it anyway.

And yes, you can uninstall those stupid apps Verizon put on your phone that you can't remove.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    kaseykrehbiel
    Phone
    Droid X
    If your phone was updated recently to Gingerbread (you'll know because the interface changed) then yeah, you have to SBF. No worries though. It really is an easy process.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X rooted .596
    To check your current version, go to settings>about phone and check the system version. If it is '4.5.596' you will need to SBF. You then have the option of the stock, rooted .596 gingerbread build or a custom ROM of Gingerbread.

As for uninstalling the apps, you can, but itbe careful. If you uninstall the wrong thing, other functions go out the door like email. I suggest using Titanium backup or something similar to 'freeze' the unwanted apps.
    Droid X rooted .602. Overclocked to 1.15ghz at 60 volts. Can run 1.4ghz stable.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    kaseykrehbiel
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathon1289 View Post
    To check your current version, go to settings>about phone and check the system version. If it is '4.5.596' you will need to SBF. You then have the option of the stock, rooted .596 gingerbread build or a custom ROM of Gingerbread.

As for uninstalling the apps, you can, but itbe careful. If you uninstall the wrong thing, other functions go out the door like email. I suggest using Titanium backup or something similar to 'freeze' the unwanted apps.
    This is why I recommend the Liberty ROM. It doesn't install anything on your phone that isn't necessary, so you don't have to worry about picking which apps to freeze, uninstall, etc. You just install the apps you use over the ROM and call it a day.

Besides, there are tons of themes in the Liberty forum to change the basic colors of your phone (signal bars, battery, etc.) I personally use a green/black theme. :-)
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid X rooted .596
    [/quote]
    Besides, there are tons of themes in the Liberty forum to change the basic colors of your phone (signal bars, battery, etc.) I personally use a green/black theme. :-)[/QUOTE]

Nice color choice...I was on LIberty FroYo but havent tried LGB yet...my .596 is running exactly how I want it. I have put some different themese, but right now using stock, with ADW Launcher with the CyanogenMod theme and custom battery icon.

Ok, back to topic now.
    Droid X rooted .602. Overclocked to 1.15ghz at 60 volts. Can run 1.4ghz stable.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    kaseykrehbiel
    Phone
    Droid X
    Oh yes, and I definitely recommend ADW Launcher. Love it!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX

I'm goin' through changes...

Team,

Thank you all for your help. I have gone from a complete "noob" (as you all call it) to a noob + a few hours. I did root my phone using Z4root. I was kinda expecting the Droid X to ring with Morpheus on the other line asking if I was ready to go down the rabbit hole...but that didn't happen. So now what do I do. I downloaded some root tool apps that had to force close a bunch of time? I go no idea what overclocking my droid will do for me. I can download some tethering apps but I still don't have anything to tether them to yet. And I can not erase the crap verizon put on my phone. Any words of wisdom out there?

Your Truely,
    Mr. Noob + a few hours.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    kaseykrehbiel
    Phone
    Droid X
    How do you know that your phone is actually rooted?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links