DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emergency Alerts?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    If you're rooted, you can just rename the .apk for the file to .bak and reboot and it wont run anymore. I did it on my droid x.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
    If you're rooted, you can just rename the .apk for the file to .bak and reboot and it wont run anymore. I did it on my droid x.
    Thank you!!

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Nexus One

Thumbs down Why use a special chip, and GPS?

Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Anything from a main stream news site?
    Plenty. See the "Sources" section here.

What's odd about this "PLAN" emergency alerts system are two things:
    1. It required a special chip to be embedded in all new phones, instead of using the already existing Cell Broadcast (CB) feature of the GSM standard, that all phones have.
    2. It uses GPS to determine your position, instead of using cell tower multilateration. Besides being a battery drain, GPS gives off your exact position and is simply not necessary for alerts such as tornadoes or earthquakes. One needs not be a conspiracy theorist to think of the other possible use of mandatory GPS in a special chip in all new cell phones.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by dandv View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    Anything from a main stream news site?
    Plenty. See the "Sources" section here.

What's odd about this "PLAN" emergency alerts system are two things:
    1. It required a special chip to be embedded in all new phones, instead of using the already existing Cell Broadcast (CB) feature of the GSM standard, that all phones have.
    2. It uses GPS to determine your position, instead of using cell tower multilateration. Besides being a battery drain, GPS gives off your exact position and is simply not necessary for alerts such as tornadoes or earthquakes. One needs not be a conspiracy theorist to think of the other possible use of mandatory GPS in a special chip in all new cell phones.

Ah thanks for the link, somehow i missed that.

And see this is my point of why i would like to have it removed and why i brought up the topic, the technology will be misused its just a mater of time...
  5. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    So we should done foil hats or what?

Seems like everything is a conspiracy these days...
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Ok, anyone else think this is a bit ridiculous - that article states that someone visiting the area of an active alert will not receive the alert, but if a person lives in an area with active alert but is out of town at the time the alert is needed, they will still get it... so, wouldn't it make more sense to find a way that anyone in the area via their cell service, regardless of their home area, could receive the "special" alerts.... since we all have to deal with this app unless you are rooted and have blocked it?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Nexus One

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by arabstar1982 View Post
    Ok, anyone else think this is a bit ridiculous - that article states that someone visiting the area of an active alert will not receive the alert, but if a person lives in an area with active alert but is out of town at the time the alert is needed, they will still get it...
    You got it backwards. From NY Times:
    A New York City resident who is traveling in Chicago at the time of an emergency in New York would not receive a message; a Chicago resident who is a customer of the same phone company would see the text alert while in New York City, officials said.
    Anyway, there are other problems with this PLAN initiative, the first one being the dire lack of technical details. Is there a special chip required? Will it use GPS? And more...

Concerns with the PLAN chip

1. The cited reason for having an extra chip embedded in each cell phone is that the current SMS infrastructure can get congested in times of emergency. However, PLAN still uses wireless carrier cell towers to push messages (as opposed to a different frequency, like the ones used for radio clock synchronization or GPS). The GSM standard already supports Cell Broadcast (CB) messaging. What is the exact justification of the extra chip?

2. Why limit the system to 90 characters of text, instead of relying on the existing multimedia message infrastructure, which can be used to send, for example, such critical information as a photo of an evacuation map? Also, the system is not backward compatible with the over 300 million mobile phones already in place in the United States, while using SMS is. (More on these issues at elerts.com)

3. Does the technology use GPS, as BBC mentions? The battery drain and surveillance implications are major.

4. Users can't opt out of “Presidential” messages. What safeguards are in place that would prevent an oppressive government from abusing this technology?

5. The design of the system is not available. How can the users know that it won't be abused? The chip could be programmed to snap a picture from the phone's camera, or to covertly record audio, upon receiving a certain signal. Remote activation of a phone's microphone has already been done by the FBI using the so-called roving bug.

6. What is to prevent the government-required software from receiving a certain signal or message which would disable the cell phone or its Internet access (useful in times of civil unrest, as has been seen in the Arab Spring revolts)?

7. Will rooting phones or custom ROMs become illegal, especially if one modifies the function of how the PLAN network interacts with the smartphone?
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X2 - Rooted
    All I know is that when we have had amber alerts in my area it never went off, so I just froze it.
  9. Premium Member
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Samsung S4
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by igknight View Post
    All I know is that when we have had amber alerts in my area it never went off, so I just froze it.
    Why? Did it show as using battery?
    A gun in the hand is better than a cop on the phone.

Only the Skilled Survive

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Drill Sergeant Frick's Rules For Un-armed Combat.
    1. Never be unarmed.
    2. See Rule #1

USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X2 - Rooted
    No, but it wont show in my app draw either. I'm a bit anal about organization on my phone.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links