DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Decisions, decisions....

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

Decisions, decisions....

I'm directing this to all you satisfied Droid X owners. I hope you can give me some much needed input. Here's my situation: I'm eligible for an upgrade and desperately want to ditch my crappy (old) feature phone. For my first ever smartphone, I'm having one heck of a time deciding.

After hearing all the glitches and with the newly released HTC Thunderbolt (poor battery life on 4G, yet bad signal strength while on 3G) I've ruled that phone out. My dilemma is as follows:

Should I get the Droid X (which is established and well known by now) even though it is a 3G phone, or wait until who knows when for the Bionic 4G? My mind tells me to use my upgrade for the DX, rather than wait for a new 4G phone and risk the chance of a tiered and higher priced data plan.

Even though the Droid X is a 3G, it's still a great device with fast enough data speed for an average internet user (browsing, emails, etc.) and should be adequate for a first time smartphone owner like myself, right? And if I choose the Droid X, and it soon reaches its EOL, I'd still get support from Verizon, right?

Thanks for your suggestions and input!!!
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    Verizon Note II
    I've been trying to help my brother with this same dilemma.
    I told him to get the X because he wouldn't use the features of the Thunderbolt and it was getting poor reviews on battery life.
    He didn't listen, bought the Thunderbolt and they couldn't even activate it.

Now he wants to wait for the Bionic, still won't use the features, and you can get the DX for a penny.

I just bought the X about 2 weeks ago, paid retail and couldn't be happier.
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Phone
    DX > SGS3
    Would you be open to purchasing one used online and saving your upgrade for the Bionic or another phone coming in the next 6 months? This way you will have something new (to you) but can take time to make an informed decision.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Bionic
    Unless something totally blows me out of the water in the next 6 months, I'm keeping my X until it drops dead
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    You are in the same boat I am in. I'm ready for my last early upgrade next month and trying to decide on the Iphone4 or the X. After reading much reviews, I'm going with the X.
    Quote Originally Posted by pattikate View Post
    I'm directing this to all you satisfied Droid X owners. I hope you can give me some much needed input. Here's my situation: I'm eligible for an upgrade and desperately want to ditch my crappy (old) feature phone. For my first ever smartphone, I'm having one heck of a time deciding.

After hearing all the glitches and with the newly released HTC Thunderbolt (poor battery life on 4G, yet bad signal strength while on 3G) I've ruled that phone out. My dilemma is as follows:

Should I get the Droid X (which is established and well known by now) even though it is a 3G phone, or wait until who knows when for the Bionic 4G? My mind tells me to use my upgrade for the DX, rather than wait for a new 4G phone and risk the chance of a tiered and higher priced data plan.

Even though the Droid X is a 3G, it's still a great device with fast enough data speed for an average internet user (browsing, emails, etc.) and should be adequate for a first time smartphone owner like myself, right? And if I choose the Droid X, and it soon reaches its EOL, I'd still get support from Verizon, right?

Thanks for your suggestions and input!!!
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    I think you should think twice before buying a droid x. In today's world a phone gets old in less than a year. This month's hot phone in a few months will be overshadowed by something else. Forget about the iphone4 thats even more outdated than the X.

Perhaps getting the droid x on a 1 year plan? then just wait and see what new phones are available next year at this time. Who knows what great super phone will be out.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    No I wouldn't recommend u buying the x at this point. And eol means u won't be getting much support as in updates and since this phone is locked down once motorola decides its on its eol u won't see upgrades anymore. I don't see the x getting an update past gingerbread.
    Running rooted Droid X with Apex 2.0 Alpha 2 & ULV at 1.15 ghz
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    rooted DroidX -Liberty v.08
    I have had my X since the day they came out & I honestly don't care if there ever is another update for it.

I installed the leaked 2.2 update the day it became available & running that with LauncherPro+, Handcent, Poweramp, SlingMobile, Sirius radio, Jorte calendar, weather & toggle widjets etc etc etc I am 100% happy with this phone (this is my first phone I have ever been able to say that about).

My phone is 100% stable, fast as hell & runs for weeks at a time without rebooting. I don't remember it ever freezing up once & I use the hell out of it.

I certainly wouldn't waste the money on a t-bolt as other than 4G it is basically the same phone as the X (except with MUCH poorer battery life)

~John
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    rooted DroidX -Liberty v.08
    Quote Originally Posted by zodder View Post
    Unless something totally blows me out of the water in the next 6 months, I'm keeping my X until it drops dead
    That's basically how I feel too.

You live in Rochester?? So do I.

~John
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Hey I'm perfectly happy with the X as well. My upgrade isn't due until 04/12 and I'm in no hurry to ditch my droid X. There will always be some phone out or on the horizon that's has better specs. Who knows what will be available by April of 2012, but I'll see when I get there.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Links