DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Keyboard questions

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    garrettbridges
    Phone
    Galaxy S4

Keyboard questions

I was wondering a few things about the keyboard, and I've found a little info, but I don't know how much stuff changes between updates so I wanted to get some more recent info.

First off, I know you can change your keyboard skin and scheme, but does that require a ROM or anything harder than a rooted phone?

Second, I turned off the option in texting for the keyboard to display suggestions, but every time I'm typing, there's a bunch of words it suggests for me underneath the keyboard, and I'm constantly fat-fingering them and f-ing up my message. It's getting pretty irritating. Is there a way to get rid of those?

Thanks!
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Moto Droid 1 *Root*
    Quote Originally Posted by greycobalt View Post
    I was wondering a few things about the keyboard, and I've found a little info, but I don't know how much stuff changes between updates so I wanted to get some more recent info.

First off, I know you can change your keyboard skin and scheme, but does that require a ROM or anything harder than a rooted phone?

Second, I turned off the option in texting for the keyboard to display suggestions, but every time I'm typing, there's a bunch of words it suggests for me underneath the keyboard, and I'm constantly fat-fingering them and f-ing up my message. It's getting pretty irritating. Is there a way to get rid of those?

Thanks!
    This would require a flashed recovery and a Root. Its very easy but once you get those done you can flash any keyboard u want using ur recovery
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC Droid Incredible 2
    For your first question, nope, just be rooted and install the .zip in recovery. But be warned that latinIME based keyboards will replace your stock keyboard, while other IMEs can be installed alongside stock. Backup often

Second question, go into your settings, language and keyboard, android keyboard, and find the auto correct and suggestion options in there and turn it off. This will turn it off system wide, btw. I don't know of another way to do it though.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    garrettbridges
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    Found that option, thanks. I don't get things like contractions auto-punctuated anymore, but it's a small price to pay.

As for the other, I have zero knowledge and experience with the whole flashing and recovery business. If I flash in that zip, the only prerequisite is that I'm rooted? Do I flash it in from the recovery screen on bootup? What are the risks involved with that (i.e. bricking, freezes, etc.)?

I'm not a huge modder but there's certain things I would like to fiddle with.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Use swype.

Sent using my Xmas present (Droid X)
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Twitter
    garrettbridges
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    I do like Swype. I get frustrated sometimes though with some of the options it brings up when I use nerd lingo or names. I generally can type pretty fast with the regular touch input.

Links