DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Email notification

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

Email notification

I've asked this before but no such luck...does anyone know how to get a notification set up for when you receive an email? I currently get a vibration for my gmail, but I have several other emails on my phone and it never alerts me when I have new ones. I've tried missed call but it wouldn't do email. =/
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Look at the gmail app settings. Check the "Email notifications" box and select a ringtone.

Also, you should make sure your notification volume is turned up in phone settings. Under sound & display settings > ringer volume, you can choose to set a different volume for ringer and notifications.

DON'T USE A TASK KILLER. DON'T USE ANTIVIRUS.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Thank you I got it to work but now it repeats constantly until I check my email. Any way to get it to just alert once?
  4. XOOM RS Team Lead
    Member #
    Liked
    36 times
    Twitter
    fish1552
    Phone
    MOTO X + Nexus 7
    Premium Member
    Have you tried changing the "Email Check Frequency"? Not sure if that would work or not, but doesn't look to be any other way short of opening the email or clearing the alert.

I turned all notices off on mine because I was getting alerts all night long while trying to sleep.

Member #
    Twitter
    @blacktimus
    Phone
    CHARGED!
    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post
    Have you tried changing the "Email Check Frequency"? Not sure if that would work or not, but doesn't look to be any other way short of opening the email or clearing the alert.

I turned all notices off on mine because I was getting alerts all night long while trying to sleep.

where would one find said " email check frequency"? im using the gmail app and i have to manually refresh it to get emails
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Quote Originally Posted by blacktimusprime View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fish1552 View Post

where would one find said " email check frequency"? im using the gmail app and i have to manually refresh it to get emails
    I'm having the same problem: I have to refresh the Gmail app to get new e-mails, but the Email app, where I have my secondary e-mail accounts set up, works like a charm. It's mystifying.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Do you have sync turned on? An easy way to check this is to long-press your home screen and add the Power Control widget. The two arrows in a circle are sync and that should be left on all the time. If that is on, also make sure that you are syncing gmail (you can also sync calendar and contacts with google's servers) via your phone settings.

If all that is on and you are still having to manually refresh gmail:
    phone settings > applications > manage applications > menu > filter > all > Gmail storage > clear data > ignore scary dialog box and click OK

The gmail app uses "push", meaning that you cannot set the frequency. It checks for email more or less immediately.
    Member #
    Twitter
    @blacktimus
    Phone
    CHARGED!
    i just turned that on via the power control widget. about 10 min ago i was able to get into the gmail settings and tell it to sync. its working now since my phone just went off that i had an email from this forum. aminaked- you rock thanks!
  9. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID X
    Quote Originally Posted by aminaked View Post
    Do you have sync turned on? An easy way to check this is to long-press your home screen and add the Power Control widget. The two arrows in a circle are sync and that should be left on all the time. If that is on, also make sure that you are syncing gmail (you can also sync calendar and contacts with google's servers) via your phone settings.

If all that is on and you are still having to manually refresh gmail:
    phone settings > applications > manage applications > menu > filter > all > Gmail storage > clear data > ignore scary dialog box and click OK

The gmail app uses "push", meaning that you cannot set the frequency. It checks for email more or less immediately.
    I swear, that's the first time I've even heard of the Power Control widget, which was, in fact, not turned on. I fixed that, then sent a couple of test e-mails and -- voila! -- notifications. Thank you! I don't know what I'd do without this place.
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid
    Great!

A lot of people are having this problem. Google needs to make the settings more user friendly...and they are working on it for Android 3 apparently.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links