DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total Noob here

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3

Total Noob here

First off, I want to say I have looked around and the info I am looking for may be on here somewhere, but I cannot locate it. Most people loking to do what I want seem to be rooted and need to go back to .595 to allow the upcoming OTA. I am wanting to install Gingerbread on my X. I am just on stock 2.2 Froyo. I do not want to root. I think from what I am reading I need .595. So, a few questions: 1) Is this possible to do? 2) Is this very difficult to do? 3) If this is possible and not too difficult, where can I find the info on HOW to do this? I appreciate it.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Phone
    DX > SGS3
    It sounds like you just need to wait for the official OTA update. Should be out soon, as soon as this weekend up to the next couple weeks.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Thanks Beka27. If that is my safest bet, I will just do that. I am just afraid they will keep pushing the OTA back and I was just wondering if there was any other way without rooting. Thanks again.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    BTGGTR1
    Phone
    Droid X
    There is no possibe way to install a leaked Rom without root and a bootloader app my friend. Definitely wait for the OTA update. It'll be out before you know it.

Oh and rooting and romming the X isn't difficult. Check on youtube, there are tons of how-to videos on how to root and rom it, and SBF it. You need to know all of those steps in order to do it. Sounds daunting, but it's fun once you learn.
    Last edited by leonozug; 05-15-2011 at 11:09 AM.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3
    Thanks leonozug. I have gone back and forth in my head time and again about rooting. Everyone that does it seems to swear by it and appears to dread the thought of not being able to root it seems. I think for now, I will wait, very impatiently I may add, for the OTA.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Phone
    DX > SGS3
    The official GB OTA may be unrootable for a bit, so that gives you time to continue researching the topic and figure out if that is what you want to do when the time comes.

The DX is a great phone with and without root. The people who are rooted typically enjoy the freedom that comes with being able to modify various aspects of the phone, but it's not necessary to root to still enjoy what you got.
    Last edited by Beka27; 05-15-2011 at 11:49 AM.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D1 DX DX2 TB
    I too have no real desire to root... but I did it anyway just to get GB. Just got a new DX (my first Android device). Less than 24 hours with the phone I already have GB running on it. I came from the stock 2.3.340 to 2.5.588 stock (rooted to upgrade) to 4.5.595.

I'll SBF back down to .340 once the official GB update comes out but as of now I'm enjoying GB.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    31 times
    Phone
    DX > SGS3
    I stayed stock, unrooted for about a month and a half. Then I rooted, but stayed stock for another couple weeks. I found it helpful to get to know the phone FIRST before doing mods. But once I had root, I had no desire to go back ever.
  9. Trhcleary
    Hey, just read through, and had a question.

I rooted my Droid X, and all was well. I got some WiFi tether apps and stuff like that, but I eventually unrooted and did some factory resets/data wipes, etc.

Will I still receive the OTA Gingerbread update from Verizon, even though my phone has been rooted and unrooted?
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    D1 DX DX2 TB
    Quote Originally Posted by Trhcleary View Post
    Hey, just read through, and had a question.

I rooted my Droid X, and all was well. I got some WiFi tether apps and stuff like that, but I eventually unrooted and did some factory resets/data wipes, etc.

Will I still receive the OTA Gingerbread update from Verizon, even though my phone has been rooted and unrooted?
    Well, the official release did say:

"If you are rooted, you must flash back to the standard Droid X software to receive the update. (Even then we can’t guarantee the update will work.)"

BUT! I can tell you that it's fine if you've rooted before... For me, I SBF'd back down to 340 and installed the update (Downloaded the official update.zip off the internet).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links