DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: HDMI Multimedia Desktop Charger, is it worth getting?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X

HDMI Multimedia Desktop Charger, is it worth getting?

I'm wondering if this thing is worth getting. Does it have an AC plug so that it charges your phone or is it just the HDMI cable? If I can't plug it in so my phone stays charged while I'm watching or listening to something, then what's the point.

Please, can someone explain this to me?

Thanks!!

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    None
    It comes with a microUSB port and a power supply that plugs into it. You can also plug it into your Compute's USB port (USB to microUSB cable not supplied). I've done this and the phone says it is charging, though I doubt it will charge as quickly as the OEM power supply.

Like the car dock, the phone auto senses the dock and changes it's home screen. Large clock, some default app icons, and a few widgets you can add. It is somewhat customizable but I haven't dug into how much can be done yet.

I got it because I seemed to be plugging it into the computer a lot and got tired of fumbling with a cable. So far I like it. Was it worth the money? Well, I guess that depends on how much time you spend at a desk and how much you dislike playing with cables.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    I have 2....one at home and one on my desk at work. I find it easier to drop the DX into the dock to charge it than to hook up the charging cable. It's easier for me to keep my DX charged by having these available. It also makes a nice stand to keep it in when playing music or videos. I have the Slingplayer app on mine so DX plus Multimedia Doc equals miniature TV. So far, I haven't used the dock to connect my DX to my HDTV. I just use an HDMI cable for that. I bought my docks at the Verizon store when I got my DX. I think you can get better prices if you do some online shopping.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX
    Just realize that if you use a case of ANY KIND it will not fit into this dock.

I bought one on launch day (along with my phone and a case) and realized after taking it out of the package that if you have a case on your phone you can not use the dock.

SO, it has been sitting in a box since then since the only way for me to use it is to take the phone out of the case every time (and ruin the case in the process).

D.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    hailtothetheif8
    Phone
    GOOGLE Nexus S 4G
    Totally worth it... love using it with real HDMI app from the market that unlocks the real potential of the HDMI port. just dock it and anything on phone comes up on tv

Plus the dock app that comes up when the phone is put in is really customizable
    Nexus S 4G MIUI 1.7.1,
    Kernel: *Matr1x* with BLN and voodoo v3.5 - smartass gov and 1.4 Ghz oc
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    off topic, but has real hdmi been taken off of the market? can't find it and scanner says it's not there either...

Google is my friend....
    http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/dr...ly-market.html
    Last edited by Dr.Dad; 10-04-2010 at 01:49 PM. Reason: new information
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    *New Owner of HTC THunderbolt
    Quote Originally Posted by debaucher View Post
    Just realize that if you use a case of ANY KIND it will not fit into this dock.

I bought one on launch day (along with my phone and a case) and realized after taking it out of the package that if you have a case on your phone you can not use the dock.

SO, it has been sitting in a box since then since the only way for me to use it is to take the phone out of the case every time (and ruin the case in the process).

D.

ditto..
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    None
    I don't use a case.

When I bought the card dock I found that my current case did not fit, even with the size adaptor removed. I bought a thin silicone case, and though it could be crammed into the dock with that case, it was a pain. For a short time I just pealed the case off whenever I wanted the phone in the dock. Easy to do with the silicone cases, but I got tired of it. Now I don't bother with a case.

And that is my excuse for not mentioning the case as a downside with the Media Station. A couple weeks earlier and I'd have been upset about it myself.

Links