anyone using the new kraken/trident case/what are your thoughts?
just ordered one in black/black, nervous if this will be the right one. Currently i keep switching btwn the commuter/incipio. Incipio fits like a glove and is very sleek/slim, worried about how much protection it will really provide though bc i work in construction. I like the commuter, but dust keeps getting packed all around the hard buttons bc it is not a tight fit at the bottom silicone piece. Hopefully the trident is the last case i buy, just worried it might be abnormally huge to carry in my pocket
Trident Kraken mini-review
My first post after lurking since I got my droid. :)
I ordered one directly from Trident and received it in 48 hours (they ship priority mail standard).
One think I liked was the color choices - you can pick basically any color for the 'case' and for the 'skin' portion. You can then buy additional skins for a few bucks. I picked up a black case and a blue extra skin with mine.
I have had it for a few days now and am a pretty heavy phone user. My first impressions:
* Build quality is excellent. No jagged edges or bad fits here, really nice product. Makes the Body Gear and 'Platinum' ones at BB look like junk.
* Easy installation. Took about 30 seconds. Clamshell fits tight and snaps shut with no gaps. You can remove the skin easily, although you need to be careful not to just rip it off due to the tight fit of the button covers. Camera/flash cover is optional.
* Good looks - has a heavy duty gear look about it. The skin cut outs that let the case color show through are a nice touch.
* Doesn't add too much bulk. I carry my droid in my jacket pocket. Previously had the semi-rigid silicon case from Verizon store. I was afraid this thing would be huge, but it just doesn't add that much. Still fits in my pocket fine, although it would be a tight fit in jeans or dress pants.
* Screen protector works perfect. If you don't know, the case includes a PET glass (?) screen protector built in. I peeled off my stick on protector before installation. You basically can't tell its there. My girl who also has a droidx played with it for several minutes and didn't even notice it wasn't the bare screen. No difference in touch sensitivity which was a concern.
* Case extends around the screen border but doesn't cover it which is good. It does take a moment to get used to swiping the top status bar down, as you can't start your slide from the outer edge of the phone - if that makes sense.
* Covers for the charger/hdmi port and earphone jack are nice and fit really tightly. Hopefully they will not wear out with extended use. They are part of the skin however so not a big deal if they do.
* Button covers. Better than I expected. You do have to press harder, but not a lot. They have bits in the skin that extend through the hard case portion. Contact has a good feel. One downside is that they block the light of the buttons. On the black skin basically entirely. The blue skin I can still see the light through it in a dimly lit room. You cannot use the buttons easily without the skin installed as the case cutouts are over them. The skin buttons are embossed/raised, so its actually easier to use the buttons by feel than without the case on.
* Screen protector smudges easily, much like the bare screen. Worth it for the protection, but I will probably carry a microfiber for cleaning now and then.
* Silicon skin picks up lint somewhat, but they all do. It grips well and keeps the phone from sliding as expected.
Overall I am quite happy so far. The phone just feels much more rugged and safe now - I think it could definitely take a fall to pavement. Will see how it holds out in the long run. Glad to answer any questions if I can.
Edit: Forgot to add, I have the extended battery and cover installed from Verizon store. Did not affect fit.