DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advanced Settings In SetCPU For Battery Life

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3

Advanced Settings In SetCPU For Battery Life

Hey everyone,

First time poster, I'm a big fan of the boards and all that I've learned from everyone here. First off, a little about myself. I'm using an original Droid, rooted, and currently running CM 7 stable. What brings me here today is finding a good balance of power and battery life. I understand that I will need to sacrifice some power to save battery life, and I'm OK with that. Sometimes I can't leave my apartment for fear of my phone dying on me though (well, not really, but how bad would if be if my car broke down and my phone was dead?). I read Skull One's 101 OverClocking 101 thread and learned a lot from it. However, I've been playing with the settings, notably the Powersave Bias and Up Threshold, and cannot seem to find a good match. Regardless of what settings I put in, my phone comes off sluggish and sometimes even stops to a crawl. I was wondering what settings you guys have had success with? Or even what I should consider trying? I've attached my Profile settings as well. I should note that I had to jack up the min because 125 was too slow, my phone would have trouble waking up when I unlocked it, or it would take a few extra seconds to wake up when I got a call.

For the Sampling Rate, I've been using 32000
    For the Ignore Nice Load, I've been using 0

I'm still learning the ins and outs of this wonderful program, so I'm open to any suggestions you may have for either the Profiles or Advanced sections.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Advanced Settings In SetCPU For Battery Life-snap20110819_191606.png   Advanced Settings In SetCPU For Battery Life-snap20110819_191556.png  
    Last edited by Whitechapel; 08-19-2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Added additional info
  2. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    DroidForums.net Theme Developer
    Premium Member
    Try stepping your minimum up one notch and reboot. That may help. If not, you could try a different kernel.

This thread has been Thunder struck!!
    "If you think you know everything, you can't learn anything." -Robert Morris

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
    http://bit.ly/ro3alQ
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    OG -> D2 -> Gnex
    Step up a voltage in your kernal. Also set a profile for in-call for 550 to help squeeze a little more battery
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Droid DOES!! View Post
    Try stepping your minimum up one notch and reboot. That may help. If not, you could try a different kernel.

Stepping up the min under Main? That new min would be 400, how much of a savings would I be looking at if I jacked it up from 250? I ask because I don't know where to find the voltage differences. And I don't know a thing about kernels or how to switch them. Doesn't mean I can't figure it out, I just wouldn't know what kernel to look at or try. I just did all the hacking and stuff this past weekend.
    Last edited by Whitechapel; 08-19-2011 at 05:43 PM.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Htown315 View Post
    Step up a voltage in your kernal. Also set a profile for in-call for 550 to help squeeze a little more battery
    What do you mean by "step up a voltage in your kernel"? Will add the profile right now for in-call, should I do a min of 550 and a max of 800? Or make it 550/550? And what priority should it take?

And I do apologize, I'm going to ask a lot of clarification questions since I'm still rather new to all of this.
    Last edited by Whitechapel; 08-19-2011 at 05:42 PM.
  6. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitechapel View Post
    What do you mean by "step up a voltage in your kernel"? Will add the profile right now for in-call.
    You should have options for ultra low voltage, low voltage, or medium voltage kernels.

If you like my work or I have helped you out and you would like to help me keep the lights on, it is greatly appreciated!!
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    OG -> D2 -> Gnex
    http://chevyno1.richstevenson.com/ke...lot-update.zip wipe and flash zip. There's higher clock speeds available if you want also. As for the profile I'd set it at 550/250. All my profiles are 100% priority.
    Last edited by Htown315; 08-19-2011 at 05:47 PM.
  8. What iDoesn't
    Member #
    Liked
    47 times
    Phone
    Rezound and Bionic
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitechapel View Post
    Stepping up the min under Main? That new min would be 400, how much of a savings would I be looking at if I jacked it up from 250? I ask because I don't know where to find the voltage differences. And I don't know a thing about kernel's or how to switch them. Doesn't mean I can't figure it out, I just wouldn't know what kernel to look at or try. I just did all the hacking and stuff this past weekend.
    Stepping up the minimum speed should reduce your lag and shouldn't have that much impact on battery life...especially when scaling On Demand.

9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Htown315 View Post
    http://chevyno1.richstevenson.com/ke...lot-update.zip wipe and flash zip. There's higher clock speeds available if you want also. As for the profile I'd set it at 550/250. All my profiles are 100% priority.
    Why 100% priority? And how so I flash the zip? Put it on my SD card and reboot into recovery? And do I rename the file you linked to just "update.zip" and then flash that?

Also while I'm waiting for replies, I'm out on Google trying to find the answers to my own questions.

Edit** Got the kernel installed. Shows the max as being 800 still. So I have to ask, what was the point of me installing that new kernel? Is it lower voltage?

What about the other settings I asked for before? Or should I slow down and do this one post at a time?
    Last edited by Whitechapel; 08-19-2011 at 06:17 PM. Reason: Additional info
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    OG -> D2 -> Gnex
    100% because I want to my phone to obey me lol. Its a medium voltage kernal and very stable that's why I chose it for you. I trust that you did a complete wipe? Cache, dalvikcache and data? I am recommending a full wipe because it will eliminate the possible causes for your problems. If you didn't completely wipe then...reboot to recovery and wipe everything..flash rom..flash kernal..reboot.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links