DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Maps and Navigation Gone?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    My maps icon is still there... The blue arrow is gone but no biggie
  2. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    It's no biggie until you try using the new maps app. When they make things more complicated and take away features it's a little hard to understand someone's idea of improvement. Update for the sake of update. Microsoft does this to make you buy the newer version of office or windows. I don't know why google would inflict this update on us unless they are working toward a paid app.
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    droid razr maxx hd
    Quote Originally Posted by Razrhead View Post
    When I updated to the new version of Maps the icons vanished from the home screen and all apps. I had to go to google play and start maps from there. The maps icon then reappeared in my apps. The new version of maps losses the navigation icon that used to exist separately. I like the old version of maps so I uninstalled maps and rolled back to the original factory version. I like Navigation with access to my contacts and voice search where I need them. The new version of Maps requires more hunting through menus to get anything done.
    I would appreciate you telling me how to 'roll back to the original factory version.' I hate the new 'improved' version, as it requires a lot more work to enter an address. The old version was quick, clean and convenient. Thanks
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    To roll back the Maps app go to manage apps on your phone and find the Maps app. On some phones you have to go to phone settings to manage apps. On other phones there is an apps manager option at the bottom of the home screen. You may have to check uninstall or check uninstall updates. The original factory version of Maps will be installed. The Maps and Navigation apps will return. For the time being you need to avoid google maps update.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 1
    I had to go to the play store and tell it NOT to update maps.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Razrhead View Post
    It's no biggie until you try using the new maps app. When they make things more complicated and take away features it's a little hard to understand someone's idea of improvement. Update for the sake of update. Microsoft does this to make you buy the newer version of office or windows. I don't know why google would inflict this update on us unless they are working toward a paid app.
    I have not had any problems using the app...its moved around a bit but again...no biggie
    jnashr likes this.
  7. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Down the road I guess we may not have a choice but to accept the new version. To me the new version is not driver friendly. As you say, things have been moved around a bit. I still wonder about the logic behind the redesign.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    DROID RAZR MAXX
    I tried to use the new Maps this past Monday morning, and this is when I noticed it had changed. Really, what the &%##, Google? This is NOT driver friendly. I have no idea how to find "Home" on this new layout and by default, my destination is Beijing, China, which is pretty interesting, considering I live in Southern California. It's a bit hard to drive over the ocean, ya think? Not too many of us own our own private ferry.

On a similar note, I use Car Home Ultra. I looked at it and noticed I still have the blue arrow as one of my icons. It links me to Maps.

In fact, nothing is driver friendly anymore, and you practically have to use a Stylus to tap everything on screen since the ICS update. I'm at least lucky I have an old APK file for Pandora that has Gingerbread Style buttons.

I think I'll be using Waze until Google gets its act together and puts Navigation back.

I'm not impressed with Google, lately. It started with the new Google Play store look. Supposedly, it's more finger friendly, but I can't see app detail as well, nor can I set a filter to view only reviews with the same phone I have.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr M
    Quote Originally Posted by JOSHSKORN View Post
    I tried to use the new Maps this past Monday morning, and this is when I noticed it had changed. Really, what the &%##, Google? This is NOT driver friendly. I have no idea how to find "Home" on this new layout and by default, my destination is Beijing, China, which is pretty interesting, considering I live in Southern California. It's a bit hard to drive over the ocean, ya think? Not too many of us own our own private ferry.

On a similar note, I use Car Home Ultra. I looked at it and noticed I still have the blue arrow as one of my icons. It links me to Maps.

In fact, nothing is driver friendly anymore, and you practically have to use a Stylus to tap everything on screen since the ICS update. I'm at least lucky I have an old APK file for Pandora that has Gingerbread Style buttons.

I think I'll be using Waze until Google gets its act together and puts Navigation back.

I'm not impressed with Google, lately. It started with the new Google Play store look. Supposedly, it's more finger friendly, but I can't see app detail as well, nor can I set a filter to view only reviews with the same phone I have.
    I uninstalled the Maps app update and it works great in the dock again. Yes, my Maps app is now the older version....but my phone works in my car dock and that's more important to me.
    tnronin likes this.
    For Whom The Bell Tolls...Time Marches On
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    48 times
    Twitter
    chapman_troy
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    I love the new Google Maps update. Navigation is built into the app now. No need to open a separate app for navigation. Not sure why everyone here is so upset.
    Motorola Razr Maxx phone & Xoom tablet
    *filled with JellyBean goodies*
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links