DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: To Root or Not To Root - That is the question

  1. Droid
    mmcompute's Avatar
    Member #
    18913
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    76
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #1

    Question To Root or Not To Root - That is the question

    I want to root then flash the new Jelly Bean rom onto my Razr but I hear the new OTA update of JB is on the way anyway. So here are my questions about rooting:
    1. If I root now, will I still be able to get the OTA update? (Why would I?)
    2. Should I just root and get the ROM I want and just be happy?
    3. If I decide to root, what is the best way? Is it the Droid Razr Utility?
    Thanks to all for helping.
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Droid Ninja
    jpcalhoun's Avatar
    Member #
    148338
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,570
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcompute View Post
    I want to root then flash the new Jelly Bean rom onto my Razr but I hear the new OTA update of JB is on the way anyway. So here are my questions about rooting:
    1. If I root now, will I still be able to get the OTA update? (Why would I?)
    2. Should I just root and get the ROM I want and just be happy?
    3. If I decide to root, what is the best way? Is it the Droid Razr Utility?
    Thanks to all for helping.
    Yes, if you root now you will be able to get the OTA update, but you will either have to unroot (return your phone back to stock) or download and install/run Voodoo Rootkeeper. Rootkeeper allows you to backup your root, temporarily unroot, receive the OTA and then establish root again with your backup (it works 99% of the time). The answer to question two is a personal preference. You can keep the ROM you like, but I would recommend always having the latest OTA update applied to your phone. Once you get behind on OTA updates it can be a hassle, particularly if your flashing ROMS etc, to get back to an up to date status. Plus, many apps and ROMs are update to run on the latest system version. Yes, the best way to root, in my opinion, is to use the RazrUtility available in this forum.
  4. Droid
    mmcompute's Avatar
    Member #
    18913
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    76
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
    Yes, if you root now you will be able to get the OTA update, but you will either have to unroot (return your phone back to stock) or download and install/run Voodoo Rootkeeper. Rootkeeper allows you to backup your root, temporarily unroot, receive the OTA and then establish root again with your backup (it works 99% of the time). The answer to question two is a personal preference. You can keep the ROM you like, but I would recommend always having the latest OTA update applied to your phone. Once you get behind on OTA updates it can be a hassle, particularly if your flashing ROMS etc, to get back to an up to date status. Plus, many apps and ROMs are update to run on the latest system version. Yes, the best way to root, in my opinion, is to use the RazrUtility available in this forum.
    Excellent response and thank you.

    So let's say I choose to root then flash a ROM...I used Cyanogen on my OG Razr () and really liked it but I've been out of the ROM scene for a while. What stable ROMs are available for the RAZR? Does the RazrUtility come with a ROM or do you have to choose one separately?
  5. Droid Ninja
    joshxdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    266952
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,065
    Liked
    156 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcompute

    Excellent response and thank you.

    So let's say I choose to root then flash a ROM...I used Cyanogen on my OG Razr () and really liked it but I've been out of the ROM scene for a while. What stable ROMs are available for the RAZR? Does the RazrUtility come with a ROM or do you have to choose one separately?
    You would choose a rom separately. RAZR hd rom is pretty cool. There are also jelly bean roms now that are very stable, but they still have bugs, such as Bluetooth not working, and camera flash problems.

    Here's a link to a bunch of available roms
    http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/to...091#entry21091

    Sent from my XT912 running Scalpel CM10 jelly bean
  6. Droid Ninja
    jpcalhoun's Avatar
    Member #
    148338
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,570
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    #5
    Quote Originally Posted by mmcompute View Post
    Excellent response and thank you.

    So let's say I choose to root then flash a ROM...I used Cyanogen on my OG Razr () and really liked it but I've been out of the ROM scene for a while. What stable ROMs are available for the RAZR? Does the RazrUtility come with a ROM or do you have to choose one separately?
    The Razr Utility does not come with a ROM. Aside from the link that joshxdroid gave you, here is another link with ROMs available for the Razr: Look Here For All Available Roms - DroidRzr.com. As mentioned, some of the ROMs available are not completely "ready for prime time" in that they have something that just doesn't work correctly. Make sure you read the entire string of threads about the ROM you're considering...they will quickly give you a good idea of how stable/functional they are. My experience suggest that a ROM that has only been out for a week or so usually has some good points and a few not so good points...it takes sometime and trial and error for the the developer to get all the bugs worked out and all functions working correctly. Also, make sure you read the developers instructions and follow them to a "T"...failure to do so can result in problems, particularly what you use to flash the ROM. If the developer designates SafeStrap then that is what you need to use.
  7. Droid Ninja
    joshxdroid's Avatar
    Member #
    266952
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    1,065
    Liked
    156 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    #6
    Just a note, that's the same link I shared lol

    Sent from my XT912 running Scalpel CM10 jelly bean
  8. Droid Ninja
    jpcalhoun's Avatar
    Member #
    148338
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,570
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    #7
    Quote Originally Posted by joshxdroid View Post
    Just a note, that's the same link I shared lol

    Sent from my XT912 running Scalpel CM10 jelly bean
    That's what I get for not reading carefully enough

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Root or Not to Root that is the question
    By Siouxsie in forum Droid 3 Hacks
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 12-10-2011, 06:43 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 07:45 PM
  3. HELP- Petes one click root only acomplished partial root-ROOT ISSUE
    By C3P0 in forum Droid Bionic Tech Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 06:35 PM
  4. Root O Not To Root,That Is The Question.(Droid X)
    By happyface in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 06:43 PM
  5. To Root or not to Root... seriously that is the question.
    By Raychelrn in forum Droid X General Discussions
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-16-2010, 07:58 PM

Search tags for this page

root or not to root
,

to root or not to root

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+