DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Droid RAZR MAXX, 4.0.4 ICS (not OTA): Question: Preferred network mode?

  1. Junior Droid
    anthonym's Avatar
    Member #
    82328
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #1

    Droid RAZR MAXX, 4.0.4 ICS (not OTA): Question: Preferred network mode?

    I don't ever go outside the US, however, I do travel between areas that have 4G and areas that are still on 3G.

    There are three choices under "Preferred Network Mode"; 1) Global; 2) LTE/CDMA; and 3) GSM/UMTS.


    My question is this:

    I don't need Global so it is currently on LTE/CDMA. Is doing that wasting battery power searching for additional signals, or should I switch it back to global as it was the default setting?

    Thanks!
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Moderator
    bsweetness's Avatar
    Member #
    42719
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,481
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonym View Post
    I don't ever go outside the US, however, I do travel between areas that have 4G and areas that are still on 3G.

    There are three choices under "Preferred Network Mode"; 1) Global; 2) LTE/CDMA; and 3) GSM/UMTS.


    My question is this:

    I don't need Global so it is currently on LTE/CDMA. Is doing that wasting battery power searching for additional signals, or should I switch it back to global as it was the default setting?

    Thanks!
    It's not searching for any additional signals in LTE/CDMA mode, just LTE and CDMA. Global mode would presumably allow it pick up GSM signals when you're not in the U.S., so it may have an extra radio running. I say presumably on Global mode because I haven't seen any direct statement on whether already existing Verizon LTE SIM cards are capable of authenticating on a GSM network. It may require a new card for that. If a new SIM is required for GSM use, the GSM radio will be inactive, even in Global mode, since it doesn't detect a usable SIM card.

    So, long story short, you're fine in LTE/CDMA mode. That's what the phone had before the ICS update anyway.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

    Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

    Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  4. Junior Droid
    anthonym's Avatar
    Member #
    82328
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7
    Phone
    Moto Droid
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    It's not searching for any additional signals in LTE/CDMA mode, just LTE and CDMA. Global mode would presumably allow it pick up GSM signals when you're not in the U.S., so it may have an extra radio running. I say presumably on Global mode because I haven't seen any direct statement on whether already existing Verizon LTE SIM cards are capable of authenticating on a GSM network. It may require a new card for that. If a new SIM is required for GSM use, the GSM radio will be inactive, even in Global mode, since it doesn't detect a usable SIM card.

    So, long story short, you're fine in LTE/CDMA mode. That's what the phone had before the ICS update anyway.
    So if im in global mode, could i theoretically use gsm towers so get the best signal? Kind of a roaming scenario?
  5. Moderator
    bsweetness's Avatar
    Member #
    42719
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,481
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonym View Post
    So if im in global mode, could i theoretically use gsm towers so get the best signal? Kind of a roaming scenario?
    No. You will not pick up a GSM signal while in the United States. Verizon disables the access to U.S. GSM carriers at the hardware level, so one of Verizon's SIM cards, or a SIM card from U.S. GSM carrier, will not work for obtaining a GSM signal.

    Just for the sake of completeness, I'll say this, but it has no bearing on 99.99% of Verizon users. Occasionally, this is not the case (some people have been able to get the Bionic working on AT&T), but that's extremely rare and requires a plan on a GSM carrier. Also, with some global Verizon phones, you can get a GSM signal in the U.S. if you're roaming on a non-U.S. SIM card. But again, neither of these scenarios impact virtually all Verizon users. As far as the use of the RAZR/MAXX on Verizon goes, you won't get a GSM signal in the U.S. It's for international roaming only.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

    Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

    Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. SAFE MODE on Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX...yep, it's a winner!
    By FoxKat in forum Droid RAZR Support
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 10-23-2012, 04:32 AM
  2. Preferred Network?? On Dinc2
    By MikeNerd1994 in forum HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-27-2011, 01:48 PM
  3. Preferred network?
    By saintlikesniper in forum Motorola Droid 3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2011, 05:20 PM
  4. Preferred network?
    By mountaineerndixie in forum HTC Droid Incredible 2
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-28-2011, 11:00 AM
  5. preferred network mode
    By volsfan1965 in forum Motorola Droid 2 Global
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2011, 12:16 PM

Search tags for this page

android preferred network mode
,
droid razr maxx preferred network mode
,

droid razr network mode

,
network mode droid razr
,

preferred network mode

,
preferred network mode droid razr
,
preferred network mode razr maxx
,

preferred network mode verizon

,
razr maxx network mode
,

verizon preferred network mode

Click on a term to search our site for related topics.

Tags for this Thread

Find us on Google+