DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Inundated with ads on ICS?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Thumbs down Inundated with ads on ICS?

After manually upgrading to ICS on Saturday, I noticed that I have been receiving seemingly random advertisements as notifications. (Employment ads, mortgage refinancing ads, ads for apps, etc.) I keep thinking I must have an e-mail, but when I pull down the notifications bar, I see an advertisement. If I click on the notification, it might launch the browser or the app store, and it tends to PUT A NEW ICON ON MY HOME SCREEN.

So I have obviously stopped clicking on any of them. (I was just hoping to learn where they came from so I could stop them)

Has anyone else been slammed with ads as notifications? Any idea how to stop them? I have been looking thru all of the phone settings for a privacy setting, an opt-out, etc., to no avail. If this is just a fact of life with ICS, I will happily downgrade to Gingerbread again. Might finally be time to start learning how to root & install custom ROMs.

Thanks in advance...
    Disclaimer: I work for Verizon, but I do not work wireless. I do, however, design the data circuits that connect all those lovely little cell towers.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Download an app called air push detector. It will tell you what app is sending those notifications. This shouldn't have anything to do with ICS.
  3. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Yeah, this isn't something that's caused by ICS. Take Abaddon's advice and use AirPush Detector or Addons Dector to see what the culprit is.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Thanks, guys. I didn't install any new apps after ICS, so I was primarily suspicious of the OS itself. I'll DL one of those apps & figure this out. (Maybe app permissions changed for something that wasn't allowed before...) Much obliged!
    Disclaimer: I work for Verizon, but I do not work wireless. I do, however, design the data circuits that connect all those lovely little cell towers.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Twitter
    caesarsknife
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    I have the same issue. Did you ever figure out what it was that was causing the problem? I was thinking it might be Go Launcher, did you have that installed as well?
    Looking for app ideas to work on
    =====
    Want more info about 'Droids? Check out my Android blog Droidweb.com
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    I did not install any new apps after ICS and I also have been getting ads. I know some of the apps updated, and I'm suspicious of changed permissions as well. Haven't had time to track it down yet, but if anyone else figures out the culprit please let us know.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Rzr Maxx
    Why not install adblock or just block them ?
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr xt912
    I had the same issue. Install push ad detector, it will tell you which apps are causing the ads. Just uninstall the app or apps causing the ads. ICS shouldn't have anything to do with the ads.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    I found it to be one of my GO apps and uninstalled it. It's not ICS, ICS just provides the notification area for the ads which GB did not, that's why they just started showing up....ICS is the conduit, not the culprit....you need to uninstall the offending app.
    bsweetness likes this.
    Droid Razr Maxx - rooted 214
    OG Droid - Desk Clock now
    Developer of Coordinate Converter application
  10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Whatever was going on with me at first apparently has just stopped. So I had a couple of ads right after the install but nothing since.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links