These instructions worked flawlessly for me (I've adapted them from rda990's thread)
I followed this tread for quite some time and tried various things going from the stock Android 2.3.6 - 6.12.181.XT912 on Droid Razr MAXX to update to ICS. I also received a softbrick after three attempts. For those of you that are concerned about softbricking your phone I recommend the following:
READ EVERYTHING BEFORE ATTEMPTING ANY STEPS - YOU WILL FACTORY RESET YOUR PHONE DURING THIS PROCESS ERASING ALL DATA (INCLUDING THE INTERNAL STORAGE!!!)
Files needed (Links from my Website):
Drivers (included below in Matt's Utility).
4.0.4 / 6.16.211.XT912 Update ----------> Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Don't worry if the name of the .zip is 6.12.181, it's supposed to be that way, it means that's the VERSION you are coming from)
Droid Razr Utility 1.7 ---------------> DroidRazrUtility1.7forICS.zip (Thanks to mattlgroff Portal - DroidRzr.com)
1. Backup all your data (I recommend TitaniumBackup but you will have to have a rooted phone for that program to work). Otherwise use a utility like MyBackup (found in the Google Play).
2. Make sure battery is AT LEAST 60% CHARGED, if not 100%.
3. Download the official OTA "Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip" file from above.
4. IMPORTANT! Place the file downloaded in step three into the ROOT of your EXTERNAL SD card. (DO NOT UNZIP THE FILE)
5. Turn off the phone.
6. Download the official OTA "DroidRazrUtility1.7forICS.zip" file from above.
7. Unzip all the files into the ROOT of your computer (C:\). (Thanks loudneon)
8. If you DO NOT already have the Motorola drivers installed, go into the "drivers" folder and select your OS type (64bit or 32bit). If you already have the drivers installed, continue.
9. Connect the phone to your computer.
10. Go into recovery by pressing and holding the Volume Up (+), Volume Down (-), and Power button all three at the same time. (Press and hold all physical buttons.)
11. With the Volume Down (-) key go down to AP Fastboot and select it by pressing the Volume Up (+) key. You are now in AP Fastboot mode.
12. From Step 7 files (Files extracted to C:\), double click on the "DroidRAZRUtility.bat" file.
13. Press any key to get started.
14. Select option 1 and follow the instructions.
15. Once it is done with the process, your phone will be 100% ready to flash the ICS update.
16. Power off your phone.
17. Boot the phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up (+), Volume Down (-), and Power button all three at the same time. (Press and hold all physical buttons.)
18. The menu will come up and select "Recovery".(Volume Down key to go down and Volume Up key to SELECT/ENTER Recovery.)
*The Android and Exclamation mark logos will come up*
19. Press both Volume Up (+) and the Volume Down (-) buttons at the same time. Release.
20. With the Volume Down (-) button select "Wipe Data" and press the power button to select it.
21. Once complete, go to "Wipe CACHE partition" and press the Power button to select it.
22. VERY IMPORTANT! REBOOT YOUR PHONE again into recovery mode! - DO NOT BOOT UP THE PHONE TO THE OS!
23. WIPE THE CACHE AGAIN!
24. With the Volume Down (-) button go down to "Apply Update from SDCard" and press the Power button to select it.
25. Volume Down (-) go to the “Blur_Version.6.12.173.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zi p” and select it with the Power button. (This is the one we put in the External SD in Step 2.)
26. It will take a while to upgrade, PLEASE BE PATIENT
27. Once it is done, go to "Reboot system now."
28. Official ICS, Enjoy!!! =D
29. If Desired, run Matt's Utility again to root your phone & install OTA RootKeepr (Make sure USB debugging is enabled).
Once it's your first time starting ICS, it WILL take a while to load up, it is normal, it will also be "Optimizing applications" at first start up.