DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Unroot before ICS update?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Razr

Unroot before ICS update?

Should I unroot my razr before the big update? If it was a smaller update I wouldn't even bother, but with the size of the ICS update I'm wondering if it's a good idea.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID3
    If you want root after getting the ICS update, I would use Voodoo OTA root keeper (in the market). Make sure you update to the latest 'su' binary as well, and make sure to use Voodoo to 'temp unroot', then restore root. If you don't, you will likely not be able to get root after upgrading to ICS. I don't think any of the current tools will root any of the current ICS ROM's for Moto phones right now (at least the last I checked).
  3. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bgarlock View Post
    If you want root after getting the ICS update, I would use Voodoo OTA root keeper (in the market). Make sure you update to the latest 'su' binary as well, and make sure to use Voodoo to 'temp unroot', then restore root. If you don't, you will likely not be able to get root after upgrading to ICS. I don't think any of the current tools will root any of the current ICS ROM's for Moto phones right now (at least the last I checked).
    Agreed. Unrooting before installing an update is always a good idea. In the past, I've read quite a bit from people who had issues after updating to an OTA while rooted. Things will be fine most of the time, but there's always the chance for issues. Like bgarlock said, if you want to preserve root after the OTA, use VooDoo OTA Root Keeper.

Better yet, if you're concerned about keeping root on ICS, wait to install it until someone has reported back that they were able to maintain root with VooDoo. It will probably work, but let someone else be the guinea pig and find out for sure.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S4
    Interesting.
    First, in all the phones I've had from Motorola, DroidX, Bionic and now Razr, I have never unrooted before an OTA.
    The update will kill root, but there is no real reason to unroot.

Unless they change the underlying filesystem Voodoo will be able to restore root.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola droid razr
    Hello. I am new to the Forum like I just filled out the "i got my razr". I really like my phone so far. Just barely behind my Asus Prime quad using home high speed wifi. I have never experienced the 4g lte system either.....impressive!
    So is Motorola expecting to get ICS soon from the sounds of it? i did not see anybody stating a date or status. beta etc... I know that for myAsus Prime we are currently waiting for a major firmware update even possibly an update for ICS 4.0.3. I guess I am just curious if this firmware would take place across the board if it is from Google....horse's mouth. I would really like using ICS on my new razr. really happy with ICS on my tablet already. Anyways thanks for letting me get to enjoy the Razr with ya'll. VERY, VERY FAST. i like
  6. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    362 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    Interesting.
    First, in all the phones I've had from Motorola, DroidX, Bionic and now Razr, I have never unrooted before an OTA.
    The update will kill root, but there is no real reason to unroot.

Unless they change the underlying filesystem Voodoo will be able to restore root.
    Normally, there aren't any problems. I'm trying to remember which phone it was, the Droid Pro I think, that gave many users problems when they installed a particular OTA update while rooted. I was lucky enough to have unrooted before installing the update, so I didn't have any problems. It was a fairly widespread issue for those who didn't though.

Like I said, everything should be fine if someone accepts an OTA while rooted. But there's always a chance of something going wrong if things aren't exactly like the update expects them to be.
    Current lineup: Galaxy S5, iPhone 5S, Note 10.1 (2014)

Previous smartphones: Note 3, HTC One, Note 2, Galaxy S3, One X, RAZR MAXX, Galaxy Nexus, Rezound, Note, iPhone 4S, Bionic, Stratosphere, Charge, Vitality, Incredible 2, Thunderbolt, Palm Pixi Plus, Droid 3, Fascinate, Incredible, Droid Pro, Droid 2 Global, Droid X, Droid, Treo Pro, Touch Pro 2, Touch Pro, Q9m, XV6800, XV6900

Previous tablets: iPad Mini, Transformer TF300, Evo View, Transformer Prime, Transformer TF101, Thrive, gTablet
  7. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by bgarlock
    They have methods for ICS as well, just not the plug Razr into your PC and run program as of yet.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    93 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX
    I just figured I'd add a required "lol ics isn't coming out so why bother" to this thread.

On a serious note I'm going to buy an ics tonight at the local grocery store :-)
  9. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 4
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    Agreed. Unrooting before installing an update is always a good idea. In the past, I've read quite a bit from people who had issues after updating to an OTA while rooted. Things will be fine most of the time, but there's always the chance for issues. Like bgarlock said, if you want to preserve root after the OTA, use VooDoo OTA Root Keeper.

Better yet, if you're concerned about keeping root on ICS, wait to install it until someone has reported back that they were able to maintain root with VooDoo. It will probably work, but let someone else be the guinea pig and find out for sure.
    I can confirm the VooDoo app does in fact give you temp root to do the ICS OTA update. After the install was complete I had absolutely No problem restoring root with VooDoo. @bsweetness Thanks a million for sharing the link for VooDoo. You saved me a ton of time.

Links