DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering gettin a Droid Razr but I have a few questions.

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC incredible
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    For any custom ROM and most leaks, there are ways to get back to stock. And s-on/s-off is pretty much just a HTC thing.

The flashing process is different for Motorola phones, but not different in a difficult sort of way. Manufacturers each use different methods, so we have to as well. If you had no problems with doing things on a HTC phone, you'll have no problem learning how to go about things on a Motorola phone.
    Is rooting still fairly easy on the 6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US update, since according to MyEntityRemains that is what it will come with? The rooting guides I found only include versions up to .173, its possible nothing important changed but manufacturers are always making it harder to root. There seem to be a few good guides out there, I should be able to figure it out, I just wanted to make sure this is a reliable phone a good phone to root.

The droid razr definitely seems like the best deal at $99 as long as its a solid phone. I also like the HTC rezound and the extended battery of the razr maxx would be nice but money is a bit tight at the moment, I wouldn't be upgrading now if it wasn't the only way to get into 4G and keep unlimited data. It looks like I will be getting a razr in the next week or so.
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    90 times
    Phone
    Razr MAXX
    I hear you 100% about money being tight :-(

However I can't stress the maxx battery life enough, Android phones in general have badddd battery life. Add on 4g with no option to throw on a 3k mah seidio battery and its asking for trouble ;-(

The RAZR is awesome, but I'm pretty sure you will be STUCK to a charger Constantly :-(

Just more food for thought to clutter your decision, night y'all.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    motorola droid 2 global
    Quote Originally Posted by Caesars
    I hear you 100% about money being tight :-(

However I can't stress the maxx battery life enough, Android phones in general have badddd battery life. Add on 4g with no option to throw on a 3k mah seidio battery and its asking for trouble ;-(

The RAZR is awesome, but I'm pretty sure you will be STUCK to a charger Constantly :-(

Just more food for thought to clutter your decision, night y'all.
    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    I have smart actions set up and have no trouble making it through the day without a charge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC incredible
    How big of a difference does that extra battery make? The battery on my droid incredible is pretty bad, pretty much always has been but its slowly getting worse. If I use it much at all (especially for listening to Pandora or watching videos) I have to plug in to make it through the day, I often plug it into my laptop in my backpack while I take the train home so that I can watch netflix, while watching netflix the battery even drains while plugged in just at a slower rate. It has no trouble making it through a day with minimal use and juice defender but if I actually use it, it struggles to last.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    You will not regret getting the droid razr it is absolutely amazing and i have the original and i can make it through a full day.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bsweetness View Post
    For any custom ROM and most leaks, there are ways to get back to stock. And s-on/s-off is pretty much just a HTC thing.

The flashing process is different for Motorola phones, but not different in a difficult sort of way. Manufacturers each use different methods, so we have to as well. If you had no problems with doing things on a HTC phone, you'll have no problem learning how to go about things on a Motorola phone.
    Thanks for clearing that s-off thing. I was wondering if that was some kind of typo...

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by devortiz06 View Post
    Is rooting still fairly easy on the 6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US update, since according to MyEntityRemains that is what it will come with? The rooting guides I found only include versions up to .173, its possible nothing important changed but manufacturers are always making it harder to root. There seem to be a few good guides out there, I should be able to figure it out, I just wanted to make sure this is a reliable phone a good phone to root.
    UPDATED Droid RAZR Utility [WINDOWS] will get you to stock 6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US and will also root it on that ROM every time. In fact, that utility is a one-stop shop for just about everything you need root/flashing-wise. It belongs in your tool belt, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by devortiz06 View Post
    How big of a difference does that extra battery make? The battery on my droid incredible is pretty bad, pretty much always has been but its slowly getting worse. If I use it much at all (especially for listening to Pandora or watching videos) I have to plug in to make it through the day, I often plug it into my laptop in my backpack while I take the train home so that I can watch netflix, while watching netflix the battery even drains while plugged in just at a slower rate. It has no trouble making it through a day with minimal use and juice defender but if I actually use it, it struggles to last.
    The MAXX battery is 3,300 mAh, the RAZR is 1,750 mAh. The razr will not last through the day if you are using Pandora and watching videos without having to refresh the charge sometime through the day. Having a portable backup battery will be crucial for your usage pattern to make the RAZR work. The MAXX would probably serve your needs and then some.

The issue you mention with the DINC and it draining WHILE plugged into the laptop has to do with the current available at the USB port on the laptop. It's likely 550 mAh, and the charger which comes with the RAZR/MAXX is 750 mAh. When watching videos, especially Netflix, or using Pandora, you are using data and the screen (with Netflix), at a pretty strong clip. The two are likely pulling more than 550 mAh, hence why even while plugged into the laptop you see it decreasing in charge. The same would hold true with the RAZR and MAXX, but using the stock charger should keep up with the consumption rate.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  8. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid bionic
    I had the razr and switched to the rezound and am very happy. I just like htc phones! I can honestly say I will NEVER own another Motorola phone again. I went through several bionics and 2 razrs loaded with issues. Also, the screen on the rezound is just beautiful. Call quality and data connections are great.

With some setting tweaks, my resound battery lasts most of the day with pretty heavy usage. Definitely better than my razr battery but I have heard the maxx battery is really good.

There us just something about the rezound that is just awesome. My die hard iPhone husband and daughter even love it and are always wanting to play with my phone.

Good luck with your choice!
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Twitter
    @Body_Bagz
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    I just came from an original DX to the Razr...and I am %100 happy with my choice. Rooting .181 isn't hard at all...there is a great set of utilities that can be used located here on DF. Battery life on the Razr for me is just about the sane as it was on my DX...4G is a drain, but you can mitigate that if you do not need constant updates of email and social crap. On average I get between 15 and 18 hours a day out of my battery on moderate use...and I am only in 4G area at work...

Bagz Droid Razr, Most Nearly Bone Stock
    ...Rooted...ROM`d too many times to list...and still kicking iPhones in the @$$ on a daily basis....

10. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    HTC incredible
    Thanks everyone for all the information. Now I just need to figure out how to afford that maxx, it would definitely be nice to not have to always be attached to a charger if I want to use the phone like I do now. I'm a college student between jobs and am only upgrading now so I can get unlimited 4G data before verizon forces everyone off. So if anyone knows of any part-time, seasonal, and little experience needed jobs in the salt lake city area let me know.
    Last edited by devortiz06; 05-29-2012 at 04:58 PM.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links