DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Hot Spot

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid RAZR

Question Hot Spot

Is it better to use the Droid Razr as a hot spot or get a jet pac hot spot?

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1414 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by taffydd View Post
    Is it better to use the Droid Razr as a hot spot or get a jet pac hot spot?
    Well that depends, would it be more convenient for you to have a hotspot and be able to use your phone, or is it convenient for you to.use your phone as a hotspot?? Its really all up to you.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! XPARENT BLUE!!!
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1414 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    I also forgot, what, if any, additional costs would you incur if you had a separate device for a hot spot? That would probably play a roll in my decision...

5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Phone
    Droid Bionic
    Quote Originally Posted by 94lt1 View Post
    I also forgot, what, if any, additional costs would you incur if you had a separate device for a hot spot? That would probably play a roll in my decision...

Yea, running FoxFi as my hotspot (FREE) on my Bionic to my laptop is kind of laggy! Hit or miss on how fast my pages load up.
    Depends on how fast the Networks running at the moment and how good of a signal you get! Tethering a bit faster.
    Also, like if i'm on Yahoo, It wont let me post to comments, also does that on some other sites ??? Not sure whats up with that..Wierd!!!
    But, Like the MAN said taffydd..."Free on your phone or pay extra for a separate device" I Like Free!!!
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2290 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Well that depends, would it be more convenient for you to have a hotspot and be able to use your phone, or is it convenient for you to.use your phone as a hotspot?? Its really all up to you.

Convenience having it ON the phone, yes. I often WIFI Tether my son on my old D2 off my RAZR while we're driving long trips. Keeps him busy and happy, keeps me happy and focused on driving! Frankly, there ought to be an insurance discount that pays for the full-blown Verizon Mobile Hotspot for just that purpose!

Additional costs, yes. Verizon charges an extra $30/month to add the "official" Hotspot feature, and I believe the stand-alone Verizon Mobile Hotspot is about $50 per month. Personally, the convenience of having it on one unit and the lesser cost make the stand-alone a no-go for my purposes. I am sure there are others out there that would get more "play" out of the portable one, using it to tether not only their phones (and therefore cut back on data if not on an unlimited plan), and also for a laptop, notebook, or tablet as well. I am sure it works better if you have 3 or 4 people all on it at once, rather than trying to saddle the RAZR with all that responsibility.

Finally, there's the new subject of the tiered plans that are coming, and the upgrade kicking you out of the Unlimited plan. These are a way to offload the big abusers, the ones who tether their laptops to the phone and do torrent downloading of music and movies, as well as other high-data users such as online gamers. IMHO, together, these two groups have effectively taken what was passively ignored by Verizon even though technically a breech of contract (Foxfi and other similar tools), and turned it into losing the Unlimited plan altogether.

I will say here, I have NEVER gone over even 4GB/mo even though I have the Unlimited plans on both parental phones, so I'm not an abuser (except on the very lowest level of actually using the hack to gain access). I see myself as someone that drives 65 in a 55 zone, where police won't pull me over unless I exceed the limit by 15mph, but if I am driving erratically or have a light out, I am at risk there. Analogous to the "free" hacks for wireless tether such as Foxfi, where using it is like driving 65, but using it and abusing it is like doing 80!. In other words, moderation will allow you to fly under the radar, so to speak, but use 85GB/month as some have reported, and you'll create problems for yourself and everyone else.
    Last edited by FoxKat; 05-27-2012 at 11:04 PM.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1414 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    Convenience having it ON the phone, yes. I often WIFI Tether my son on my old D2 off my RAZR while we're driving long trips. Keeps him busy and happy, keeps me happy and focused on driving! Frankly, there ought to be an insurance discount that pays for the full-blown Verizon Mobile Hotspot for just that purpose!

Additional costs, yes. Verizon charges an extra $30/month to add the "official" Hotspot feature, and I believe the stand-alone Verizon Mobile Hotspot is about $50 per month. Personally, the convenience of having it on one unit and the lesser cost make the stand-alone a no-go for my purposes. I am sure there are others out there that would get more "play" out of the portable one, using it to tether not only their phones (and therefore cut back on data if not on an unlimited plan), and also for a laptop, notebook, or tablet as well. I am sure it works better if you have 3 or 4 people all on it at once, rather than trying to saddle the RAZR with all that responsibility.

Finally, there's the new subject of the tiered plans that are coming, and the upgrade kicking you out of the Unlimited plan. These are a way to offload the big abusers, the ones who tether their laptops to the phone and do torrent downloading of music and movies, as well as other high-data users such as online gamers. IMHO, together, these two groups have effectively taken what was passively ignored by Verizon even though technically a breech of contract (Foxfi and other similar tools), and turned it into losing the Unlimited plan altogether.

I will say here, I have NEVER gone over even 4GB/mo even though I have the Unlimited plans on both parental phones, so I'm not an abuser (except on the very lowest level of actually using the hack to gain access). I see myself as someone that drives 65 in a 55 zone, where police won't pull me over unless I exceed the limit by 15mph, but if I am driving erratically or have a light out, I am at risk there. Analogous to the "free" hacks for wireless tether such as Foxfi, where using it is like driving 65, but using it and abusing it is like doing 80!. In other words, moderation will allow you to fly under the radar, so to speak, but use 85GB/month as some have reported, and you'll create problems for yourself and everyone else.
    What he ^^^ said

Links