DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Screen doesn't work properly when plugged into computer's USB.

  1. Senior Droid
    ndtaylor77's Avatar
    Member #
    253976
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    141
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    razr maxx
    #1

    Screen doesn't work properly when plugged into computer's USB.

    If i plug my Razr Maxx into my computer's USB port to charge, the touch screen begins behaving erratically. The screen isn't always responsive and if i try to type something, random letters are entered. Anyone else have this problem?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Super Moderator
    FoxKat's Avatar
    Member #
    54290
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,588
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by ndtaylor77 View Post
    If i plug my Razr Maxx into my computer's USB port to charge, the touch screen begins behaving erratically. The screen isn't always responsive and if i try to type something, random letters are entered. Anyone else have this problem?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
    Two possible causes.

    One, you are using a non-Motorola cable to connect with.

    Two, your computer's power supply is failing and the 5V rail is being corrupted with dirty power.

    If it's number two, you may have also recently started having unknown errors, blue screen of death, file corruption or other unexplained computer glitches. If so, I suggest you power down the PC as soon as possible, don't power up again until the supply is replaced. Running a computer on a failing supply, especially when it's the 5V rail, can result in a corrupted hard drive and potential loss of the operating system and also potential loss of personal data on the drive. I know, it happened to me.

    Your local Geek shop [computer store] should have a computer power supply tester. They cost about 10 bucks. You plug the connectors from the supply into the tester, press a button and the power supply energizes and the tester displays if there is a problem. If you do not get Full green, replace the supply immediately.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk with speech to text translation. Please excuse any minor grammatical/punctuation/spelling errors.
    Last edited by FoxKat; 04-14-2012 at 09:24 PM.

    "Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  4. Senior Droid
    ndtaylor77's Avatar
    Member #
    253976
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    141
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    razr maxx
    #3
    Thanks. I use the USB cable that came with the phone so that isn't the problem. As for the computer, it's getting old and it was never very good to begin with. It's a Dell Inspiron 1525 running Vista. I have my files backed up and I'm in the market for a new one anyway.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  5. Super Moderator
    FoxKat's Avatar
    Member #
    54290
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,588
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    #4
    OK, well the only issues I've ever heard (and seen myself) regarding the screen going whacky were either a non-Motorola wall adapter (the reason is dirty current - too much AC ripple and possibly RF interference), and water, dampness, dirt on the screen. If the issue isn't there when the phone is not plugged in, but appears when it is (and you're using the Motorola cable), then it's GOT to be dirty power. I would avoid using the USB port for the Inspiron 1525 if you can and at the very least you may want to consider replacing that power supply. They're pretty inexpensive. If you are not running a lot of hard drives and don't have a half-dozen high-end cards installed like dual Video accelerator cards, you can get away with a supply for somewhere in the 20-30 buck range. Otherwise replacing the computer altogether would be a solution.

    Good luck!

    "Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  6. Droid
    jason638's Avatar
    Member #
    242140
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    55
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    #5
    mine does it to, but only when I connect to certain radios via the headphone jack. And even then its only certain ones. My car stereo is fine, Sirius boom box, gets all glitchy, I have to unplug it, select the song, then plug it back in

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  7. Super Moderator
    FoxKat's Avatar
    Member #
    54290
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,588
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jason638 View Post
    mine does it to, but only when I connect to certain radios via the headphone jack. And even then its only certain ones. My car stereo is fine, Sirius boom box, gets all glitchy, I have to unplug it, select the song, then plug it back in

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
    This points to RF interference coming from the radio through the headphone jack and messing with the circuitry that determines the screen capacitances. Same problem, different source.

    "Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  8. Droid
    jason638's Avatar
    Member #
    242140
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    55
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    #7
    Anyway to fix it?

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  9. Senior Droid
    ndtaylor77's Avatar
    Member #
    253976
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    141
    Liked
    16 times
    Phone
    razr maxx
    #8
    I'm guessing the problem is with my charger.Phone works perfectly fine unless my laptop is charging.
  10. Super Moderator
    FoxKat's Avatar
    Member #
    54290
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,588
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    #9
    Quote Originally Posted by ndtaylor77 View Post
    I'm guessing the problem is with my charger.Phone works perfectly fine unless my laptop is charging.
    OK! So there IS an explanation. I should have been more intuitive but you came through. Good troubleshooting and yes, it is related to a poorly regulated or poorly RFI protected power supply. The disturbance isn't enough to cause the laptop any grief, but due to the highly sensitive circuitry that determines finger locations on the screen of the phone, even the tiniest disturbance in the voltages can cause the screen to "see" presses that aren't happening and cause "ghost typing".

    So now my recommendations to stay away from Motorola approved chargers extends to external chargers for other devices which may contribute to subsequent problems with the RAZR while connected via USB.

    I would be EXTRA CAREFUL not to use the USB connection while the LAPTOP CHARGER is plugged in, not just to prevent erratic screen issues, but also to prevent the phone from doing things you might just later regret like, calling your boss's cell phone at 3:00am while you're sitting up in bed and doing a data transfer, or accidently deleting something from memory or an email account that is unrecoverable and crucial to your job, wife, home, survival, etc...

    "Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  11. Droid Newbie
    nemcnick's Avatar
    Member #
    349231
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    #10

    I do not think this is the solution forf everyone

    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    OK! So there IS an explanation. I should have been more intuitive but you came through. Good troubleshooting and yes, it is related to a poorly regulated or poorly RFI protected power supply. The disturbance isn't enough to cause the laptop any grief, but due to the highly sensitive circuitry that determines finger locations on the screen of the phone, even the tiniest disturbance in the voltages can cause the screen to "see" presses that aren't happening and cause "ghost typing".

    So now my recommendations to stay away from Motorola approved chargers extends to external chargers for other devices which may contribute to subsequent problems with the RAZR while connected via USB.

    I would be EXTRA CAREFUL not to use the USB connection while the LAPTOP CHARGER is plugged in, not just to prevent erratic screen issues, but also to prevent the phone from doing things you might just later regret like, calling your boss's cell phone at 3:00am while you're sitting up in bed and doing a data transfer, or accidently deleting something from memory or an email account that is unrecoverable and crucial to your job, wife, home, survival, etc...


    I have always had this problem no matter what I use for the power source. It happens when I use wall power with the cable and adapter that came with my Razr Maxx or with the proper USB cable and any of 8 different computers via USB ports. I have tried 3 cables as well (the original that came with the phone and two replacement cables I purchased). I simply unplug the phone when I have to use it. Fortunately the phone charges fast so even if the battery is very low I can interrupt charging to respond to text messages and emails. Perhaps in my case the problem is within the phone, but I have heard this happen to so many others I have to wonder if the problem is not more of a systematic issue with this model.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Youtube issues, camera doesn't work, streaming doesn't work >.<
    By jasonsyn in forum Droid 2 Tech Issues
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 05:22 PM
  2. Phone doesn't know it's plugged into computer
    By 82DMC12 in forum Android Tech Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-17-2010, 07:52 AM
  3. Right side of screen doesn't work
    By Skittles in forum Rescue Squad Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-17-2010, 06:33 PM
  4. Touch Screen doesn't work.
    By sacredmonkey in forum Droid 2 Tech Issues
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-17-2010, 03:08 PM
  5. Touch screen supersensitive when plugged in to the computer??
    By marcusdavidhall in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-18-2010, 09:07 PM

Search tags for this page

computer screen doesn't come on when usb plugged in
,
droid 2 while charging screen don't work
,

droid bionic screen doesn't work when charging

,
droid screen doesn't work when plugged in
,
glitchy touchscreen when plugged into usb
,
no proper touch response while charging in android
,
razr maxx screen not working properly while charging
,
samsung touchscreen doesn t work usb plugged
,
why does my droid razr screen not work when charging?
,
why smart phone touch phone not working properly at charging
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+