DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Ice Cream Sandwich News from Verizon Wireless

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid X
    Wonder when they will have it for the Droid X. :-(
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    57 times
    Phone
    Vzw Droid RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
    This will be my first and last Moto device I believe. I bought this expecting ICS to be out in December, but no later than February...well, I was fooled. Fool me once, shame on you. Fooling me twice has never happened. BYW, I also bought a 4G Xoom thinking ICS was right around the corner, so maybe I was fooled twice in some sickening fashion.
    Honestly though, the Xoom should be looked at as a shining example that Motorola its not to blame. You say you quill never buy a Moto again but they updated the WiFi version PhD thugs Xoom in January so obviously it is Verizon that is keeping them from updating the 4g version.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Just a quick google. Maybe December is a bit early, but there was a lot of speculation that we would be getting ICS within a month or so of the Nexus' release date. Everything that Motorola and Verizon was putting out showed that we should expect it early 2012. Well, it is now April.

The start of 2012
    http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2395026,00.asp

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/19/motorola-razr-to-get-updated-to-ice-cream-sandwich-in-early-2012/

http://www.unwiredview.com/2011/10/1...about-updates/

1st Quarter
    Droid Razr To Taste Ice Cream Sandwich Update In First Half Of 2012 | TechCrunch
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by Jungle King 76 View Post
    Honestly though, the Xoom should be looked at as a shining example that Motorola its not to blame. You say you quill never buy a Moto again but they updated the WiFi version PhD thugs Xoom in January so obviously it is Verizon that is keeping them from updating the 4g version.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Xparent Purple Tapatalk
    Good point, but if I was Moto I would apply some pressure on getting this done asap. There are customers being lost. I can't count how many people I know that went with the Nexus just simply because of ICS and no other reason. They all say that if the Razr had ICS they would have bought it because of the total package. I guess I'm just jaded.
  5. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    From the article:

"Update: A Motorola representative has reached out to us to clarify that ICS will make its way to US Droid Razrs sometime in the first half of 2012, and not the first quarter as originally reported."

As for the first three articles, it's still "early 2012." It's early 2012 until we reach mid 2012. So there's nothing in any of those articles to indicate that we should have received an update in the time frame you wanted. There was never any indication of getting ICS withing a month of the Nexus' release date either. No one ever believes that will happen for non-Nexus phones (and it doesn't even always happen for Nexus phones), and if they do, it's because they've never gone through waiting for major OS updates on Android before.

I guess the rumors of an ICS release this week has gotten everyone so worked up to where they're reading into every article they can find and twisting things in order to justify their frustration over being taken in by the rumors. There's never been anything but rumors and quotes of "early 2012" and "first half of 2012" for an ICS update on the RAZR/RAZR MAXX, both of which we're still in.
    FoxKat likes this.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    13 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Maybe I just transposed when I thought it was coming out for the Xoom then or something. In any case, I'm still miffed about the xoom not having it yet.
  7. Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    1561 times
    Phone
    Nokia Lumia 928
    Premium Member
    Key word is speculation hoops As another member already pointed out do NOT ever buy a handset based on when you think its OS will be updated. Despite what you read and from whom, you can never be sure the info is accurate ESPECIALLY when it comes to a device or devices being updated. You have about 3 or 4 more rumor dates to go through before an accurate one shows up

Every big update has a pattern it seems. 4-5 rumors/tips that never pan out, followed by an accurate one. Save yourself some aggravation and just plan on a summer release. Not an early or mid or late one neither lol. Sometime this summer

1 rumor down 3-4 to go

Sent from my DROID RAZR
  8. Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    361 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S5
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHOOPS2 View Post
    Maybe I just transposed when I thought it was coming out for the Xoom then or something. In any case, I'm still miffed about the xoom not having it yet.
    And that's totally understandable. The Xoom was supposed to be Google's reference tablet, a Nexus device without the actual Nexus branding. It should have seen a prompt release shortly after the Galaxy Nexus dropped. Verizon is the reason for the hold up there, just like they've been the hold up for an update on the Galaxy Nexus. CDMA devices require proprietary files and programming, so there's no way for updates to be directly pushed by Google like they can on GSM devices that only require a SIM card in order to adjust the settings of the device to work with a given carrier. It makes things much more difficult, and understandably frustrating, to have those devices on Verizon (or Sprint for that matter).
    Last edited by bsweetness; 04-06-2012 at 08:40 AM.
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Twitter
    Tkileh
    Phone
    Maxx HD
    Your guys goal today was to have me wake up check tapatalk and be sad immediately wasn't it! Haha.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  10. Banned
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by naknak95 View Post
    I know a lot of people (including me) were disappointed on April 4th when the official ICS wasn't released. Although, I did come across this on their Facebook page, which is a link that shows that the update is still planned for sometime this year.

Link: Ice Cream Sandwich Coming to Many Verizon Wireless Smartphones
    Wow

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links