DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: Smart actions killing my battery?

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid

Smart actions killing my battery?

I have my smart actions set up to shut everything down when my screen shuts off and the phone isn't moving around. Lately I have noticed that my battery life is getting pretty bad so I took a trip to the Verizon store to see what I could do. The tech guy there looked at my phone and then told me to remove all my smart actions because every time the phone screen comes back on the phone has to reconnect to the network it will use more battery. He said it would be better on the battery to leave 3g or 4g on all the time. Does that sound right?? I will say that so far it seems to be working better.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    37 times
    Twitter
    djspy
    Phone
    Motorola DROID RAZR Maxx HD
    The same thing was happening to me so I don't use them no more.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    I shut down cellular data when I am within range of a known Wi-Fi network. 90+ % of the time I am within a known network.
    I also change ringer volume depending on the network I am using. Smart Actions are working great for me.
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raydee35 View Post
    I have my smart actions set up to shut everything down when my screen shuts off and the phone isn't moving around. Lately I have noticed that my battery life is getting pretty bad so I took a trip to the Verizon store to see what I could do. The tech guy there looked at my phone and then told me to remove all my smart actions because every time the phone screen comes back on the phone has to reconnect to the network it will use more battery. He said it would be better on the battery to leave 3g or 4g on all the time. Does that sound right?? I will say that so far it seems to be working better.

The issue is that in the process of authenticating to the network, it goes through at least three iterations...
    • First the phone tries to connect via the minimal cellular connection (X1)
    • Then the phone attempts to connect to 3G and authenticate for data
    • Finally it attempts to authenticate for 4G Data

Those processes are far more taxing on the phone's battery than the simple pinging it does to a network that it's already authenticated on. Now, if your 4G is strong in your area it won't tax all that much more than the 3G, but if the range is farther away it will eat up a lot even during the simple pinging, so in that case, I'd shut down 4G, especially since you are in a WIFI network.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    127 times
    Phone
    Moto X
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    The issue is that in the process of authenticating to the network, it goes through at least three iterations...
    • First the phone tries to connect via the minimal cellular connection (X1)
    • Then the phone attempts to connect to 3G and authenticate for data
    • Finally it attempts to authenticate for 4G Data
    Those processes are far more taxing on the phone's battery than the simple pinging it does to a network that it's already authenticated on. Now, if your 4G is strong in your area it won't tax all that much more than the 3G, but if the range is farther away it will eat up a lot even during the simple pinging, so in that case, I'd shut down 4G, especially since you are in a WIFI network.
    Kind of like fluorescent lights. They use more energy turning on than just running. (we won't get into the crappy light they provide!)

Going to disable that smart action. Thanks.
    Moto X - Designed by me!
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr
    Personally I haven't seen any change in using smart actions, and indeed has used more battery no matter what configuration I choose to use. I have been messing with this option for 7 weeks, and I have given up. Myth busted!
    I don't use it at all any more. The phone does quite well without using this "smart" feature. Actually it does very well without this feature.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
    and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Well it does seem to be true, I have had the smart actions turned off for a few days now and my battery has been much better. Right now my phone has been off the charger for about 12 hours and I am still at 80%. With the smart actions on I had to recharge my phone after about 10 hours but now I can easily go a full day without a recharge. I will say that at home I only use wifi and when i am away from home I use 3g instead of 4g most of the time.

Links