DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Swelling battery

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    Quote Originally Posted by zomnomnombie View Post
    I have always considered battery swelling to be due to overcharge but I thought this was not possible on modern devices/chargers?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
    I always thought that to.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zomnomnombie View Post
    I have always considered battery swelling to be due to overcharge but I thought this was not possible on modern devices/chargers?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums
    Actually it can happen as a result of charging OR discharging, and then the question is what about the charge/discharge cycle is it that causes the swelling? From BatteryUniversity.com;

Pouch packs are commonly Li-polymer. Its specific energy is often lower and the cell is less durable than Li-ion in the cylindrical package. Swelling or bulging as a result of gas generation during charge and discharge is a concern. Battery manufacturers insist that these batteries do not generate excess gases that can lead to swelling. Nevertheless, excess swelling can occur and most is due to faulty manufacturing, and not misuse. Some dealers have failures due to swelling of as much as three percent on certain batches. The pressure from swelling can crack a battery cover, and in some cases break the display and electronic circuit board. Manufacturers say that an inflated cell is safe. While this may be true, do not puncture a swollen cell in close proximity to heat or fire; the escaping gases can ignite. Figure 6 shows a swelled pouch cell.
    Figure 6: Swelling pouch cell
    Swelling can occur as part of gas generation. Battery manufacturers are at odds why this happens. A 5mm (0.2”) battery in a hard shell can grow to 8mm (0.3”), more in a foil package.
    Courtesy of Cadex
    To prevent swelling, the manufacturer adds excess film to create a “gas bag” outside the cell. During the first charge, gases escape into the gasbag, which is then cut off and the pack resealed as part of the finishing process. Expect some swelling on subsequent charges; 8 to 10 percent over 500 cycles is normal. Provision must be made in the battery compartment to allow for expansion. It is best not to stack pouch cells but to lay them flat side by side. Prevent sharp edges that could stress the pouch cell as they expand.

So it's safe to say that swelling can occur, and it can be as a result of charging/discharging, or a manufacturer's defect. Whatever the case, a swelled battery, one that has swelled beyond the "allow[ance] for expansion" should be considered a failed battery.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Droid a la floyd
    Nice to see that this forum is carefully monitored by Motorola/Verizon re dangerous battery issues. The last thing anyone would want to see is a smartphone user injured by a defective battery. Major hit on stock prices!

However, the low charge rates for mobile phones, coupled with latest embedded smart chip charging tech makes catastrophic failure highly unlikely.

But if your battery swells up, its integrity has been compromised, and it is dangerous. These batteries have extremely high energy density, and potential for fire and explosion when compromised. Korean manufacturing standards are excellent, but it's best not to take chances. Voice of experience, here.

Can't believe Apple store "geniuses" don't replace swollen batteries immediately for free. Google it. Unbelievable stupidity.

Please play smart and be safe.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Last edited by floyd; 03-06-2012 at 12:42 AM.
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    Please play smart and be safe.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
    Excellent post. As I've said before as well, the risk of catastrophic failure with these newest Lithium Ion Polymer batteries is certainly higher than with the older Nickel Metal Hydride and Nickel Cadmium batteries, but there are many safeguards in place to prevent or minimize the risk of such events as Floyd points out.

Still, a certain amount of common sense should be exercised when you see something out of the ordinary. Err on the side of caution and leave the decision as to whether the problem is real to the experts.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

"Professor FoxKat"
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    I've had 2 Droid X batteries swell up. The first time I noticed was after I hadn't used it in a couple months. I plugged it in to charge and noticed a big "wet spot" under the screen, which I googled and found to be due to swelling battery. Sure enough, my battery was swollen up and I could barely get the battery cover off. I ordered a new battery, and it was fine for a couple months, until the phone completely discharged last weekend and I didn't use it for a couple days after that (it's an extra line). I just picked it up and noticed the same "wet spot" under the screen. The battery has indeed swollen up. Only a few days of being completely discharged and sitting in the phone and another battery is ruined. Pretty flawed battery design if you ask me. I can't even store it completely drained and unplugged for a few days?
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    I just had this happen to my OG Droid battery. I haven't used it since I got my Razr in November, i pulled it out of the drawer and the battery looked like a balloon ready to pop
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mchoffa View Post
    I've had 2 Droid X batteries swell up. The first time I noticed was after I hadn't used it in a couple months. I plugged it in to charge and noticed a big "wet spot" under the screen, which I googled and found to be due to swelling battery. Sure enough, my battery was swollen up and I could barely get the battery cover off. I ordered a new battery, and it was fine for a couple months, until the phone completely discharged last weekend and I didn't use it for a couple days after that (it's an extra line). I just picked it up and noticed the same "wet spot" under the screen. The battery has indeed swollen up. Only a few days of being completely discharged and sitting in the phone and another battery is ruined. Pretty flawed battery design if you ask me. I can't even store it completely drained and unplugged for a few days?
    Quote Originally Posted by jason638 View Post
    I just had this happen to my OG Droid battery. I haven't used it since I got my Razr in November, i pulled it out of the drawer and the battery looked like a balloon ready to pop
    It's actually recommended that if you intend to store Lithium Ion (or Lithium Ion Polymer) batteries, that they be stored at 40% charge (How to Store Batteries – Battery University ). The battery will self-discharge over time, so even if you do store it at 40% charge, it is also recommended that you check the levels on an infrequent basis and charge to 40% again as necessary, but NEVER let the battery sit at 0% for ANY length of time, and even better advice still is to avoid allowing the battery to dip much below 15% unless you are intent on getting to a charger soon and absolutely need that last 5-15% of power to get by until then.

It's not really a "flawed battery design" as you indicated mchoffa, but a mere characteristic of the chemistry in these batteries. They can be very dependable, provide high rates of power, and be long-lasting IF taken proper care of.

For more information on Lithium Ion batteries visit Lithium-based Batteries Information , and explore all the links to the left as well.

"Professor FoxKat"
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Motorola has said that the battery swells from time to time depending on how much the phone gets used..........Thats why if you press on the Motorola Logo on the back you may feel it push in a little and hear a sticking noise.....At least they told me that when I called and complained because mine did the same thing
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    Droid a la floyd
    Y'all are nuts not taking a swollen battery seriously. You are probably in the 1% of product failures, but when lithium-ion batteries fail it can be a serious release of energy. Swap it out immediately or get a new phone.

Just sayin.
    Trash Can likes this.
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by floyd View Post
    Y'all are nuts not taking a swollen battery seriously. You are probably in the 1% of product failures, but when lithium-ion batteries fail it can be a serious release of energy. Swap it out immediately or get a new phone.

Just sayin.
    I agree 100% with Floyd that a swollen LI or LIPO battery is a potential time-bomb. These batteries can begin a process called "thermal runaway" which can then result in a rupture or explosion followed by volatile gasses being released and the spontaneous eruption of extremely high temperature, torch-like flames. If a LI/LIPO battery is swollen it is a sign that the battery has been stressed beyond its recommended charging rate, maximum voltage, remained at a high level of charge for an extended period of time, was allowed to reach high temperatures during charging or use, or has an internal failure which is producing excess gas expansion.

I would take NO chances with a swollen LI/LIPO battery and be sure NOT to leave it indoors and near any flammable objects or near humans or animals.

"Professor FoxKat"
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links