DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: What is the fastest way to drain battery?

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here

What is the fastest way to drain battery?

I know it's kind of a silly question, but what app or task kills the battery the fastest? I have a MAXX and I want to drain the battery rapidly so that the OS will "calibrate" the battery meter. I've had the screen on 100% brightness, screen always on, for about an hour, and it's only gone down about 4% (currently at 64%). Looking for something that the phone can do by itself without my constant attention.

To clarify, I'm trying to get the battery meter to calibrate. I understand the the lithium batteries do not require conditioning.
    Last edited by bamorris2; 02-29-2012 at 07:48 PM.
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Incredible
    Play a movie or something, usually kills my battery fast

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    6 times
    Phone
    Motorola droid razr
    Well they say draining the battery is bad for these kinds of phones but i think fastest way is probably streaming from next flix or streaming in 4g in general probably good luck ^_^

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    234 times
    Phone
    droid maxx
    Online 3d game will kill it faster then anything else.
    Sony CM-B1201 > Samsung SCH-8500 > Motorola RAZR V3m > Samsung SCH-i760 > Motorola DROID X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy Nexus/Motorola Droid Razr Maxx > Droid Maxx
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Netflix streaming in 4G. Only do this if you have unlimited data, though.

Sliced from my RAZR
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by bamorris2 View Post
    I know it's kind of a silly question, but what app or task kills the battery the fastest? I have a MAXX and I want to drain the battery rapidly so that the OS will "calibrate" the battery meter. I've had the screen on 100% brightness, screen always on, for about an hour, and it's only gone down about 4% (currently at 64%). Looking for something that the phone can do by itself without my constant attention.

To clarify, I'm trying to get the battery meter to calibrate. I understand the the lithium batteries do not require conditioning.
    Please consider the info in this thread and this thread before you do this. Not only is this unnecessary, it may harm your phone.
    FoxKat likes this.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    26 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by bamorris2 View Post
    I've had the screen on 100% brightness, screen always on, for about an hour, and it's only gone down about 4% (currently at 64%). Looking for something that the phone can do by itself without my constant attention.

Sorry, but I read this as "Curses you damn battery, you are too good to me. Why must you make it so hard to drain you?" lol
    SallyC and djspy like this.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
    Please consider the info in this thread and this thread before you do this. Not only is this unnecessary, it may harm your phone.
    Sorry to disagree, Sally, but there is a common confusion about this issue. First, it is absolutely true that draining the battery (down to about 5%) does NOTHING to "train" or "calibrate" the battery. What it DOES do, however, is calibrate the device's battery MONITOR, providing a more accurate estimate of remaining battery life.

What most people don't understand about battery monitors is that they don't actually measure a remaining charge directly. Rather, they measure the current voltage of the battery and compares that to a maximum voltage at a full charge. That ratio provides the "remaining percentage" figure. Over time, the maximum voltage of a battery declines and the profile of the draining process changes. By getting a recent picture of that maximum and discharge profile, the estimate of usage and remaining charge is more accurate.

This is why, for example, Apple recommends that an iPad's lithium ion battery be fully discharged about once a month. (In Apple's case, a "full discharge" occurs with about 5% of battery power remaining.) It does nothing to extend the battery's life cycle. It does, however, improve the estimate of the device's battery monitor.

Note that the OP appears to recognize the distinction here when he/she says, "I'm trying to get the battery meter to calibrate." Unfortunately, these discussions frequently veer off into discussions of calibrating/conditioning/preserving the battery, itself. And I think that is what has happened here.
    Curmudgeon Member of Rescue Squad
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Phone
    RazrMaxx/Droid1(retired)/dinc2
    I would also think flashing roms would require an occasional resetting.

4g hotspot to laptop. while streaming a motocast movie via hdmi on your tv. Plus all the above..

You at 0% yet?

----posted maxx'ed out----

new server if any of my links are dead notify me, I got new links!
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by jsh1120 View Post
    Sorry to disagree, Sally, but there is a common confusion about this issue. First, it is absolutely true that draining the battery (down to about 5%) does NOTHING to "train" or "calibrate" the battery. What it DOES do, however, is calibrate the device's battery MONITOR, providing a more accurate estimate of remaining battery life.

What most people don't understand about battery monitors is that they don't actually measure a remaining charge directly. Rather, they measure the current voltage of the battery and compares that to a maximum voltage at a full charge. That ratio provides the "remaining percentage" figure. Over time, the maximum voltage of a battery declines and the profile of the draining process changes. By getting a recent picture of that maximum and discharge profile, the estimate of usage and remaining charge is more accurate.

This is why, for example, Apple recommends that an iPad's lithium ion battery be fully discharged about once a month. (In Apple's case, a "full discharge" occurs with about 5% of battery power remaining.) It does nothing to extend the battery's life cycle. It does, however, improve the estimate of the device's battery monitor.

Note that the OP appears to recognize the distinction here when he/she says, "I'm trying to get the battery meter to calibrate." Unfortunately, these discussions frequently veer off into discussions of calibrating/conditioning/preserving the battery, itself. And I think that is what has happened here.
    This answer is on point. The question was re: "meter" calibration and nothing else.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links