DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Razr Maxx, poor battery life on little use

1. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    VZW Galaxy S4 | Commando 4G
    I agree. Current battery tech doesnt develope memory. Older NiCad did. But modern ones dont. You can charge mid way though use or at near depleted. I have heard its not good to let the battery go totally dead.

Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Razr Maxx.. out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!
    FoxKat likes this.
    (Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S4 - Rooted - VRUAMI1 (STOCK) | (Verizon) Casio (GzOne) Commando 4G - Rooted - C811M020 (STOCK)
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xmguy View Post
    I agree. Current battery tech doesnt develope memory. Older NiCad did. But modern ones dont. You can charge mid way though use or at near depleted. I have heard its not good to let the battery go totally dead.

Sent from my Motorola (Droid) Razr Maxx.. out in the boonies of TN while picking on a guitar!
    Right on all points.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    This is strange. Had my Razr off the charge for only 30 mins and it's down to 95%. Not much running either.

(Verizon) Samsung Galaxy S4 - Rooted - VRUAMI1 (STOCK) | (Verizon) Casio (GzOne) Commando 4G - Rooted - C811M020 (STOCK)
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    It's worse today. Been manually turning data off. At this rate it won't last half a day.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Razr Maxx, poor battery life on little use-uploadfromtaptalk1330017975206.jpg   Razr Maxx, poor battery life on little use-uploadfromtaptalk1330017985135.jpg  
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    You have a lot of awake time. I'm betting you have apps that aren't taking up much processor time, but are forcing the phone to stay awake so you never really go into standby. My guess would be Norton Security, from the list there, and maybe a few others. Why do you have Norton Security installed? Android doesn't need a virus checker, just a brain (e.g. if you're sideloading a wallpaper app from a random internet site and it asks for permission to make phone calls and have access to your contact list, DON'T!). That could be an issue right there. DaTuner is using a little bit, too (unless you're actually using it; if not, it could be polling your CPU in the background and making it so your processor never really sleeps).

Also, how long are all of these off a charger for? If I recall correctly, the "time on battery" will be the time since it was last plugged in, not total time; so the above might be misleading.

Another thing: do you live in a 4G coverage area? I see that your phone says 3G. If you have your phone set to LTE/CDMA (4G/3G), it will sap battery like a hippie going through weed, so you'll want to turn that off. Homescreen --> Menu --> Settings --> Wireless and Networks --> Mobile Networks --> Network Mode --> CDMA only. Or you can use this nifty app (free):
    https://market.android.com/details?i...Gdmb3JyYXpyIl0.

Also, what are your exact Smart Actions? How are you manually turning data on and off? Realistically, if you have a Maxx in a strong 3G area with no Smart Actions set up, you ought to be able to get 1-2 days easy unless you have apps misbehaving in the background. What's your usage like? Number/duration of phone calls? Video? etc. This info might help us all diagnose the issue, because your battery drain definitely isn't normal.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Could always check and see if you have the in pocket detection is on. That's the first thing I learned when I got my razr. That feature alone is a big battery drain.

Razr-Eclipes-1.2.1
    Razr-Eclipes-v1.2.1
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    I've now installed Juice Defender. Got it set to disable data when the screen goes off. I created a white-list to allow apps like TuneIn and iHeartRadio to run with the display off but data stays. I'll see if that helps. Yep I've got LTE turned off. I have AnyCut so I was able to place a shortcut to the data screen of the phone. Same for CDMA/LTE options. When I get 4G (which should be just a few weeks). I don't plan to keep it enabled unless I need it. I do sideload apps (not wallpaper or p0rn stuff) I don't have a lot of money. We'll just leave it at that. Just to be safe, I have Norton. But nothing in the setting for that show it using background CPU. As for DaTuner its a guitar/music tuner. I do use it some. I use TuneIn and iHeartRadio 70%, 20% calls 10% texting.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    109 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Did you check for pocket detection, like wyld mentioned? That's a useless feature that kills battery.

The stock battery meter doesn't say what polls the CPU very well. It could be that you have apps polling the CPU, but not for much time. They would appear to have very little usage, but they would keep your CPU from going into standby. Unless you're streaming all the time, you ought to have more standby time. Try an app like WatchDog to see if you have anything going on in the background that the battery meter in Settings isn't really picking up.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by Zandar View Post
    Did you check for pocket detection, like wyld mentioned? That's a useless feature that kills battery.

The stock battery meter doesn't say what polls the CPU very well. It could be that you have apps polling the CPU, but not for much time. They would appear to have very little usage, but they would keep your CPU from going into standby. Unless you're streaming all the time, you ought to have more standby time. Try an app like WatchDog to see if you have anything going on in the background that the battery meter in Settings isn't really picking up.
    Oh yeah pocket detection is off. I agree total battery killer. Plus its a waste as it doesn't even work well. Got WatchDog. It doesnt show anything funny.

10. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    10 times
    Phone
    Use today. Nothing but calls

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Razr Maxx, poor battery life on little use-uploadfromtaptalk1330112812839.jpg  
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links