DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Root 2.3.5 after OTA 2.3.6??

  1. Senior Droid
    BiGG WiLL's Avatar
    Member #
    194037
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    100
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #1

    Root 2.3.5 after OTA 2.3.6??

    I rooted my Razr using the sticky on the hacks forum
    [HOW TO] Root your Motorola Droid RAZR [Windows Only]

    I
    unrooted to get the OTA (didnt know about voodoo, but used ginger unroot) Even though i feel lucky to still have some root privileges, I kind of what to reroot my phone.
    Now, this update however seemed to be a hit! Everything has improved.
    My question is, is there an updated version of root because I want to reroot, but I didnt think it made since to go from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 and back to 2.3.5.....

    Or should i just do without rooting for awhile? Cuz surprisingly my Wifi tether hack still works and a couple of other rooted apps work. The only thing that doesn't work is Titanium Backup, and i deleted safety strap before the OTA in case i had problems.
  2.  
     
     
     
  3. Super Moderator
    FoxKat's Avatar
    Member #
    54290
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,588
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    #2
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGG WiLL View Post
    I rooted my Razr using the sticky on the hacks forum
    [HOW TO] Root your Motorola Droid RAZR [Windows Only]

    I
    unrooted to get the OTA (didnt know about voodoo, but used ginger unroot) Even though i feel lucky to still have some root privileges, I kind of what to reroot my phone.
    Now, this update however seemed to be a hit! Everything has improved.
    My question is, is there an updated version of root because I want to reroot, but I didnt think it made since to go from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 and back to 2.3.5.....

    Or should i just do without rooting for awhile? Cuz surprisingly my Wifi tether hack still works and a couple of other rooted apps work. The only thing that doesn't work is Titanium Backup, and i deleted safety strap before the OTA in case i had problems.
    There is no known way to root 2.3.6 (AKA 6.12.173) at this time. You will need to roll back the version to 2.3.5 (AKA 6.11.748), then root, then install and run Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, protect, then temp un-root, then OTA to 6.12.173, then restore root. Alternatively you can flash the Fastboot 6.11.744, root and Voodoo Rootkeeper protect, then OTA to 6.11.748, then OTA to 6.12.173, then restore root.

    Fortunately even if you go the way of flashing the Fastboot to .744, then OTA to .748, then OTA to .173, all files, apps, and personal settings remain (as long as you DO NOT either do a Factory Reset OR format the SD card or internal memory).

    You can find the info on flashing Fastboot at http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1416058.
    Last edited by FoxKat; 02-11-2012 at 09:08 PM.

    "Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  4. Senior Droid
    BiGG WiLL's Avatar
    Member #
    194037
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    100
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #3
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    There is no known way to root 2.3.6 (AKA 6.12.173) at this time. You will need to roll back the version to 2.3.5 (AKA 6.11.748), then root, then install and run Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, protect, then temp un-root, then OTA to 6.12.173, then restore root. Alternatively you can flash the Fastboot 6.11.744, root and Voodoo Rootkeeper protect, then OTA to 6.11.748, then OTA to 6.12.173, then restore root.
    ...... Jees..... Is there a tutorial anywhere for um.... ^^^ that^^^???
  5. Super Moderator
    FoxKat's Avatar
    Member #
    54290
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,588
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    #4
    Quote Originally Posted by BiGG WiLL View Post
    ...... Jees..... Is there a tutorial anywhere for um.... ^^^ that^^^???
    Yeah, Installing 6.12.173.xt912 [Guide] - DroidRzr.com will give you information on rolling back if you want from .173 back to .748 and then you can root, OTA protect, and OTA update.

    Here are instructions with all the links to the supporting files such as the Moto drivers, RSD Lite, and the Fastboot file. [Download] DROID RAZR Fastboot Files, with flashing instructions

    It sounds like a lot and sounds complicated, but it's pretty simple and if you follow instructions one step at a time before you know it, you're done.

    You're not the first that's used Ginger Unroot and after the OTA update still has functionality that required root even though you no longer have root. Apparently while in root, the changes that allow wireless tether and some other root-only features are not intercepted when you update. Moto missed those and I am sure if they knew it they would have closed and locked those down again in the update.

    I recommend you start with Fastboot and go the OTA Rootkeeper route, this way you'll fix all the quirks that are allowing wireless tether and others, you'll have root again, and you lose nothing in the process.
    Last edited by FoxKat; 02-14-2012 at 02:33 PM.

    "Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  6. Super Moderator
    FoxKat's Avatar
    Member #
    54290
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,588
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    #5
    New update. Root for 2.3.6 has been achieved! Go to Security Research by Dan Rosenberg to download the hack. Link provided by smalltowngirl13.



    Note: This will not fix the issue you have with apps that "appear" to still having root permissions while you don't technically have root. This is likely changes in file structure or registry values which need root initially in order to make the changes, but once changed the root permissions are no longer needed. The only way I know to resolve that issue is the Fastboot route.
    Last edited by FoxKat; 02-12-2012 at 12:28 PM.

    "Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  7. Senior Droid
    BiGG WiLL's Avatar
    Member #
    194037
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    100
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Model Here
    #6
    Well its not really an issue. I kind of like it. I'm not rooted anymore yet I still have some root futures lol. But i'm going to look at rerooting once I find a new reason.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  8. Droid Newbie
    kurosawa's Avatar
    Member #
    213814
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4
    Phone
    Droid 3
    #7
    My Maxx was updated.

    I tried the Dan Rosenberg program. The way I found out it didn't work was I next installed OTA Rootkeeper and it told me it wasn't rooted.

    So I used the rollback, then rooted with Doomlord V2. Then the phone refused to send text messages. Also I made a voice call and the other party couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear them.

    At this point, I took a chance and followed your instructions for flashing above. Seemed like nothing was going on but I left the phone on.

    I went to work and when I came back, the phone had a white light on the front and I had a tough time starting it back up.

    I couldn't start it with the power/up/down combination, and I couldn't start it plugged into the laptop.

    When I finally did get it to start it showed me a "damaged SD card" error.

    Also the phone was at 5% charge, so maybe it turned itself off while stuff was happening (when I left it was fully charged).

    (a) Is the phone trashed?

    (b) If not, how can I get back on track?

    Thanks!
  9. Super Moderator
    FoxKat's Avatar
    Member #
    54290
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    8,588
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    #8
    Quote Originally Posted by kurosawa View Post
    My Maxx was updated.

    I tried the Dan Rosenberg program. The way I found out it didn't work was I next installed OTA Rootkeeper and it told me it wasn't rooted.

    So I used the rollback, then rooted with Doomlord V2. Then the phone refused to send text messages. Also I made a voice call and the other party couldn't hear me and I couldn't hear them.

    At this point, I took a chance and followed your instructions for flashing above. Seemed like nothing was going on but I left the phone on.

    I went to work and when I came back, the phone had a white light on the front and I had a tough time starting it back up.

    I couldn't start it with the power/up/down combination, and I couldn't start it plugged into the laptop.

    When I finally did get it to start it showed me a "damaged SD card" error.

    Also the phone was at 5% charge, so maybe it turned itself off while stuff was happening (when I left it was fully charged).

    (a) Is the phone trashed?

    (b) If not, how can I get back on track?

    Thanks!
    Wow, that's a bummer. I would first try to see if you can charge it. Having at least 60%-70% charge is crucial. If it disconnects due to battery while updating, RSD Lite will fail and the update will fail. Sounds like you got stuck in a loop while updating and then the battery was simply being discharged until it quit.

    If you can't get it to take a charge the normal way, try holding the Power button and Volume Down button at the same time, then when it shuts down, simply plug in. It may seem like nothing is happening for a long time, even an hour or more, but eventually it may simply try booting. Let it continue charging until it has better than 60%. Then go back and try again, but this time use Matt's app...

    UPDATED Droid RAZR Utility [WINDOWS]

    It has all the parts in one neat package and it's menu driven so RSD Lite isn't necessary. Good luck.

    "Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  10. Senior Droid
    iguanad's Avatar
    Member #
    200725
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    126
    Liked
    5 times
    Phone
    d2g
    #9
    Phone arena has link to new 2.3.6 root.

    Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  11. Droid Newbie
    kurosawa's Avatar
    Member #
    213814
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    4
    Phone
    Droid 3
    #10
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    Wow, that's a bummer. I would first try to see if you can charge it. Having at least 60%-70% charge is crucial. If it disconnects due to battery while updating, RSD Lite will fail and the update will fail. Sounds like you got stuck in a loop while updating and then the battery was simply being discharged until it quit.

    If you can't get it to take a charge the normal way, try holding the Power button and Volume Down button at the same time, then when it shuts down, simply plug in. It may seem like nothing is happening for a long time, even an hour or more, but eventually it may simply try booting. Let it continue charging until it has better than 60%. Then go back and try again, but this time use Matt's app...

    UPDATED Droid RAZR Utility [WINDOWS]

    It has all the parts in one neat package and it's menu driven so RSD Lite isn't necessary. Good luck.
    Thanks! Everything's working now.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-19-2013, 04:18 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 07:45 PM
  3. HELP- Petes one click root only acomplished partial root-ROOT ISSUE
    By C3P0 in forum Droid Bionic Tech Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2011, 06:35 PM
  4. Wanting to root. But wheres the one click root for droid to make it easier?
    By kermitdfrogdroid in forum Android Hacks and Help
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-31-2010, 10:13 PM

Search tags for this page

android 2.36
,
droid 3 2.3.5 update
,
flashing bionic after ota 2.3.6
,
how to get root back after update s3
,
how to go back to android 2.3.5 from 2.3.6
,

how to root droid razr after update

,
restore back to android 2.3.5
,
root droid after 2.3.5 update
,
what update can't you root after
,
wifi tether 2.3.5 without root
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Find us on Google+