DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Call recording

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid RAZR

Call recording

I've been trying to find a recorder that records both sides of a conversation that works for razr, but forums seem to be lacking on the subject... To avoid derailment, PLEASE DO NOT POST ABOUT LEGALITY. I don't care whether or not this is legal, I just want to know how to do it

If necessary, I may be willing to root...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bacchanal View Post
    I've been trying to find a recorder that records both sides of a conversation that works for razr, but forums seem to be lacking on the subject... To avoid derailment, PLEASE DO NOT POST ABOUT LEGALITY. I don't care whether or not this is legal, I just want to know how to do it

If necessary, I may be willing to root...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
    Motorola phones are not capable of recording BOTH sides of a conversation in a phone call. I am not aware of a workaround even with root that will give you this functionality. There may be a ROM that will come down and have that feature, but since it's so infrequently asked for, they may not devote the time to incorporate it - and that's if the phone is physically even able to do it via circuitry. I have heard that you can record calls with Google Voice, but I haven't tried it.

And for the record (even though you said it, there would be comments anyway so I am ALSO trying to prevent derailing...), it's only illegal to record both sides of a phone call if you are in a 2-party notice state (such as PA) and you don't notify BOTH parties, whereas it's completely legal to record both sides if you are in a single party notice state (like NJ), as long as one party (such as YOU) know the call is being recorded. It is 100% illegal to record a phone call when NEITHER party knows they're being recorded, and that goes for ALL states, since it's considered Wiretapping, and only through legal court order can it be done covertly. This is the primary reason why Motorola chose to eliminate that functionality, you see they didn't want to get wrapped up in some form of liability for having facilitated the illegal recording of a call and subject themselves to cost or prosecution. Just saying...
    Last edited by FoxKat; 01-15-2012 at 02:43 PM.
  4. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Phone
    droid x2
    There are apps in the market that claim they can do such things, depending on the phone, there are many free ones, I suggest giving those a try.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Phone
    X2superuser,overclocked,htspt
    I have now tried them all with my x2 and confirm that they do not work. Totall recall is a program I'm still playing with that I hope will work but not positive. I did get a split second of my voice out of it so....still playing with it. This sucks because I do a lot of interviews over the phone for magazines and hate that I can't just use my phone instead of another device to record externally on speaker phone. Grrr

P.s. Everyone on the line at the time, knows that I am recording the call before I record. Just to keep it respectful.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums
    Last edited by Ssilk; 01-30-2012 at 05:06 PM.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    I'll say this... I use my bionic as an mp3 player. I use it to listen to guitar parts on new songs. I plug it into my mustang 4 amp via the 3.5mm jack. And when I do, if someone calls I can hear them through my amp, and myself as well. U could record the conversation that way I would guess.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx HD
    Geat sites for the legality for recording conversations.

Can We Tape? | Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press

Recording Laws | 8x8, Inc.

And I won't mention NSA warrantless surveillance
    C3H6N6O6 + (CH2)8(COOC8H17)2 + C4H8 + C5H8

Droid Razr Maxx HD

8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid 2 Global
    I remember reading somewhere that most of the apps that only record one side of the conversation can be used to record both sides if you put the phone on speakerphone. That way the microphone picks up both sides of the conversation, albeit rather poorly. Another alternative is a device I bought from Radio Shack that works through the headset jack with a wired headset. This one is similar to the one I bought, but with more adapters: Olympus Mini Tele-Recording Device - RadioShack.com. You will need a separate recording device, of course. I use a micro cassette, but anything that will record audio will work. A lot of MP3 players have a record function built in.
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gadgetech View Post
    I remember reading somewhere that most of the apps that only record one side of the conversation can be used to record both sides if you put the phone on speakerphone. That way the microphone picks up both sides of the conversation, albeit rather poorly. Another alternative is a device I bought from Radio Shack that works through the headset jack with a wired headset. This one is similar to the one I bought, but with more adapters: Olympus Mini Tele-Recording Device - RadioShack.com. You will need a separate recording device, of course. I use a micro cassette, but anything that will record audio will work. A lot of MP3 players have a record function built in.
    That's interesting. I have actually tried several of the recording apps that use the microphone just to see if this was so, but I have found that didn't work. I am aware that Motorola in particular is averse to phone call recording, and from what I have read elsewhere the ability to record calls may be available on phones not manufactured for distribution in the US, but is barred from our phones.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Twitter
    nonnasmyladie
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy S3 Verizon
    It depends on the state but in most including NY only ONE party needs to be aware of the recording so you are legally permitted to record your own phone calls. It is a common practice actually.

There is no legal reason Moto wouldn't allow it.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums
    -Joe
  11. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Doesn't work on the iPhone either - it's been requested on it too. Only real solution is there are also some paid dial-in services that will record both sides...you call it up, enter the # to call, and it records both sides, then emails it to you or something like that.

Other option is to hook up a headset/mic combo to the headset port using a splitter to a Digital voice recorder or something like that...I did that with a plantronics phone landline phone I had awhile back - forgot how I rigged it though - it was pretty simple.
    Last edited by chrisf8657; 02-02-2012 at 04:04 PM.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Links