DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Stick with RAZR or trade in???

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    Mine: SG4; Hers: SG3
    Quote Originally Posted by mkuhn1020 View Post
    Thats the thing...i dont think i was planning a rooting it. im not the biggest computer guy. it seems that the nexus is more or a "nerd" phone and more for people who root it
    I'm also not the biggest computer guy (from a technical standpoint), but found myself very intrigued and interested in the world of rooting and being a "nerd" with my OG Droid. You may not learn to be a developer or create your own ROMs, but everything you need to root and customize your device can be learned and accomplished from these forums. I had a few friends who also had the OG Droid, and when they first saw my phone after I had it overclocked and flashed my first ROM, they were blown away and immediately asking me for help. They could not believe how my Droid was running circles around their slightly laggy devices, and loved amount of customization that was possible. While I was completely hooked for about a year, the novelty did eventually wear off, and towards the end of my days with the OG Droid I was simply looking for ways to keep everything stable.

Now, to be fair, things changed in my life (started law school) and I did not have near the time to devote to my Droid, and when it was time to upgrade I wanted something fast, stable, and simply awesome. If you have the time, and have any interest in a completely making the device your own, don't be turned away by a lack of computer know-how. I still say you can't go wrong with either device, but just be sure to read as much as you can, because if you have a question, it's probably been asked and answered.

Good Luck!
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by mkuhn1020 View Post
    I got the razr for christmas. It is my first smart phone and i like it. Not much too complain about besides the battery, but i know that is expected with 4G. Didn't know much about the galaxy nexus when I get the razr, but it seems like that is the phone to get. I feel like the only reason i haven't traded in for the nexus is because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". but idk...seems like the nexus will be the better phone 1-2 years from now. I have untill jan 15th to decide and would appreciate any input between the two.

Thanks!
    there's no question the GN is superior. play with one at the store
  3. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Twitter
    Nerdslogic
    Phone
    Android
    Quote Originally Posted by GalaxyFlatulence View Post
    there's no question the GN is superior. play with one at the store
    Actually I would advise against playing with one in the store. When I knew I had the GN on the way I went into 2 different stores to play with a GN....walked out of both stores doubting my decision to change from the Razr to the GN.\

Got my GN and couldn't be happier to report that the demo models were crap and in no way close to the actual experience you will have with yours.

My advise....play with someone else's....go into the VZW store and ask if any of the rep's have a GN as a personal device. Ask to play with it for a couple minutes.
    Go to work, send your kids to school, follow fashion, act normal, walk on the pavement, watch t.v., save for your old age, obey the law, don't ask questions, and repeat after me.....I am free.
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4
    I bought the RAZR with every intention of returning it later for a GN; my rooted OG Droid could not carry me through a day any more. I have to admit that I enjoyed the RAZR so much I bought my son one. The phone does what I need it to, and I was not impressed by what I have seen and experienced when playing around with GNs. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. My RAZR is for me.
  5. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    50 times
    Phone
    Droid 2 liberty and anything
    I say keep it. If not. The Gnex is a great alternative. Those two are the best IMO. The Razr did get the phone of the year award. But I don't really think its the best. The best is what's right for you! Peace!

Tapped via Motorola Droid Razr!
    Peace!
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    I upgraded from the OG from over 2 years ago. I'm at day 7 with my trial period for the Nexus. I have to say, I'm not impressed with the sound quality at all. I used to be able to talk on my motorola in my lab with no problems at all, but I have to hold my finger to my other ear to block out any noise outside of the phone conversation just so that I can make out what is being said. I took a call while I was outside of the hospital today and the sound still sucked. Both times I was on the phone with someone on the iPhone 3GS and she was outside of a building. We're in a city with great coverage so I attribute the poor sound quality to the hardware. Maybe I just have a bad device, as others have had to exhchange theirs for a new one. I'm giving this nexus a little more time. I really want to like it and want to be convinced that it will work out because I really like the replacable batt and I can do without the Razr's SD card (never ever took mine out of my OG) so Nexus would seem like a good choice. BUT ultimately, I'd like to have good sound quality when I need it. I don't even want to imagine what the sound would be like if the signal was bad. I'll keep reading posts and maybe those in the know can enlighten me on whats coming down the road as far as fixes/updates go.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    Quote Originally Posted by nerdslogic View Post
    Actually I would advise against playing with one in the store. When I knew I had the GN on the way I went into 2 different stores to play with a GN....walked out of both stores doubting my decision to change from the Razr to the GN.\

Got my GN and couldn't be happier to report that the demo models were crap and in no way close to the actual experience you will have with yours.

My advise....play with someone else's....go into the VZW store and ask if any of the rep's have a GN as a personal device. Ask to play with it for a couple minutes.
    Wow I had the same experience. I was so psyched for the GNex. When it finally came out I went and played with it at the Salem, VA store and it was kinda laggy. I was bombarding the sales rep with questions about its specs and performance because I was so upset/surprised. The rezound right next to it (that I was also somewhat interested in) was smooth as butter. And the rezound spanked the GNex in quadrant scores, but I took that with a grain of salt considering the new OS and the fact that quadrant scores aren't the most accurate representation of performance. Anyway, I ultimately ended up pulling the trigger on the GNex and I'm glad I did. Its just as smooth, if not smoother, than the rezound. The in store model must have been messed up or something.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
    HOKIE
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Sexxxus
    Quote Originally Posted by steveky View Post
    I upgraded from the OG from over 2 years ago. I'm at day 7 with my trial period for the Nexus. I have to say, I'm not impressed with the sound quality at all. I used to be able to talk on my motorola in my lab with no problems at all, but I have to hold my finger to my other ear to block out any noise outside of the phone conversation just so that I can make out what is being said. I took a call while I was outside of the hospital today and the sound still sucked. Both times I was on the phone with someone on the iPhone 3GS and she was outside of a building. We're in a city with great coverage so I attribute the poor sound quality to the hardware. Maybe I just have a bad device, as others have had to exhchange theirs for a new one. I'm giving this nexus a little more time. I really want to like it and want to be convinced that it will work out because I really like the replacable batt and I can do without the Razr's SD card (never ever took mine out of my OG) so Nexus would seem like a good choice. BUT ultimately, I'd like to have good sound quality when I need it. I don't even want to imagine what the sound would be like if the signal was bad. I'll keep reading posts and maybe those in the know can enlighten me on whats coming down the road as far as fixes/updates go.
    so its speaker SOUND QUALITY or speaker VOLUME that's the problem? I'm sorry, its just sounds like you're describing issues with the speaker not being loud enough. Either way, you may have a dud. Granted, I've only made like 6 calls in the 2+ weeks I've had this phone, but my sound quality and volume are pretty good. Not quite on par with the blackberrys of a few years ago, but better than any other phone I've owned. I definitely think it beats my D1 and D2 in both sound quality and speaker volume...ringer volume? Now that's a different story. Motorola takes the cake in that department.

HOKIE
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Droid
    i would say return the Razr the whole non remove-able battery with the Razr should put you off, the battery will go dead and what than when it can't hold a charge? I would say go with the Rezound it has better of everything, and if you decide to root your phone the phone is rootable as well and can be modified just like the Nexus.
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ry View Post
    so its speaker SOUND QUALITY or speaker VOLUME that's the problem? I'm sorry, its just sounds like you're describing issues with the speaker not being loud enough. Either way, you may have a dud. Granted, I've only made like 6 calls in the 2+ weeks I've had this phone, but my sound quality and volume are pretty good. Not quite on par with the blackberrys of a few years ago, but better than any other phone I've owned. I definitely think it beats my D1 and D2 in both sound quality and speaker volume...ringer volume? Now that's a different story. Motorola takes the cake in that department.

Volume + or Equalizer by sa labs will fix the ring volume. The speaker volume on my GNex is beyond loud, only use it on half volume.

The GNex will have more support from Google and be updated faster. But it all depends on which one u like the look and feel of better.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Pink Tapatalk
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links