DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Returning my RAZR and going back to my DX...

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Droid X

Returning my RAZR and going back to my DX...

This is by no means a criticism of the RAZR itself. The intent of this post is not to antagonize current RAZR owners, just to provide information to those considering the purchase of an LTE device. The truth of the matter is, I very well may end up with a RAZR a few months from now. But as of now, I can't justify wasting my upgrade, and spending $250, on a communication device that provides me less communications than my year and a half old device. Despite being in an area supposedly covered by 4G, I rarely have 4G coverage. Even worse, I constantly lose 3G coverage. While typing this, my 4G signal popped up for a few seconds, went to 3G, and then lost the data connection.

Aside from the network, I did find a few little things that bugged me. I love the speed of the device, the way it flows, and the version of Blur that's included. However, when compared to my DX, there were a number of ways I found this device flat out inferior. Notification lights don't work as well, vibration is barely noticeable, the Swift Key X keyboard is not as responsive, and the ear piece rattles when on a phone call. I tried all the recommended fixes for these issues, with no improvement.

Finally, while the Smart Actions are kind of cool, I found the primary use of them somewhat ironic. It seems the Smart Action most people use is to disable communications when the screen goes off, to improve battery life. It seems somewhat bizarre to me, that the new wave of technology requires us to disable communications on a communications device, so that the device can maintain power.

Again... I still believe this is the best 4G device out there. I just don't think 4G devices are ready for prime time (in my area).

3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Don't blame you and it sucks 4G isn't as great in your area. I've had spotty 4G in my area when I first got my Razr last month but it improved dramatically after the first week. Hopefully 4G will get better in your area soon and go back to a 4G phone again

Sent from my Boeing approved Moto DROID Razr
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    24 times
    Phone
    Mine: SG4; Hers: SG3
    It sounds to me that you tried everything you could to make the device work for you, but unfortunately it falls short of what you need. I can appreciate this post because it's honest, and while not everything is an issue with all devices (weak vibrate and ear rattle) and some issues are subjective (notification light, Swift X keyboard), the bottom line is the device did not work for you.

It's too bad 4G service is so poor in your area, because I think all the other issues aside, this would be my deal breaker. Exactly like you said, it's a waste to upgrade to a 4G device when you are still without quality 4G, given that your X is still working fine. I think the current wave of phones is getting so much hype because the sheer volume of OG Droid owners who were due for an upgrade and held out for the next best thing. In your case, you still have something working well, so it makes sense to wait for the next wave of great phones.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    I consider the DX and the Inc1 to be the two best Verizon Droid buys right now. Good used ones can be had for well under $100, off contract!

Most want the "latest, greatest", so the used market is flooding with these older, solid devices.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums
    Last edited by t35rk; 12-31-2011 at 10:54 AM.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    razr
    I agree ... I love this phone and its better than my blackberry I just came from.. but the pizaz is starting to wear off... most if not all the points you made are valid points..
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    78 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy SIII
    I too live in a 3G only area. At first both my phones were not playing nice, but Big Red did some tweaking and both phones now have pretty reliable connections. Hopefully they get these 4G-3G-1X handoffs straightened out. FWIW I still have my DX also and I still love it. Just can't activate it on my line or I'll permanently deactivate my 4G sim. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    14 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Well the X is a good phone to go back too. I kind of got a feeling you will miss the Razr though. But I understand. I'm so tempted to switch to CDMA only but to me that would defeat the purpose of upgrading to a 4g device.
    "The" Droid with Liquid, replaced by the RAZR
    Motorola Xoom- stock...for now
  9. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    I was also wondering if I should go back to 3G only. I know I can set my RAZR for 3G only so its not too much of an issue. I treat 4G like I do Wifi right now: use it when I really need it. And that was before all the LTE issues happening with Verizon.

Most of the time when I upgrade, I keep the upgrade if it does something better than my old phone. In some areas regarding functionality I felt my RAZR was better. I just switched to a family plan and activated my DX1 again. I plan on testing some things. Overall it was a better experience for me with the RAZR so far. Also have a G Nex coming Wed....so I will be doing some side by side by side comparisons for some things. Thing is my DX1 is so beat up I will either upgrade it, try to get a replacement or hit up Ebay for another phone to go month to month with.

Someone asked in another forum about what 4G phone should he give his employees. Someone made a very good post, and one of the things he said was if its for business...I would stick with 3G only phones. The battery drain alone on 4G is enough to stay away if it a business phone. Plus all the issues Verizon's LTE been having.
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  10. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    I'm very happy my OP was taken in the spirit it was intended. I think the RAZR has amazing potential, I'm a big fan of Motorola, and at present would never be on any other network but VZW. I hope VZW knocks out these issues in the next few months, because the interface was butter smooth (processor + new BLUR = awesome).
  11. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    28 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    Im forced to drop to 3g where I work at because at&t put their repeaters all over the site and somehow prevents non at&t phones from getting reliable service. Sucks but I guess that's the nature of the beast

Sent from my Boeing approved Moto DROID Razr
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links