DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Motorola's ICS Blog details why it will take 6 months for your RAZR to see ICS

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Twitter
    @JFMFT
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus CDMA/LTE

Motorola's ICS Blog details why it will take 6 months for your RAZR to see ICS

I saw this new blog by Motorola on the company's Twitter feed today and I wanted to share some really interesting information found within the blog. Here's a link:Motorola Update on Ice Cream Sandwich | The Official Motorola Blog - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

If you read the first blog post, Motorola is actually quite transparent and even articulate in their description of the Android upgrade process for devices.

The good news: The RAZR is getting ICS.
    The bad news: The blog post clearly shows it will take 6 months to ship ICS to the RAZR. Here's why:

1 month (mid-January): "We are currently assessing this source code, and over the next month we will be determining which devices will get the upgrade and when"

3-5 months (mid-April at the earliest to mid-June at the "supposed" latest, delays not included): "There may be a two-month preparation cycle to enter a carrier lab cycle of one to three months."

The bold sections are direct quotes from the Motorola ICS blog. I mean, it's hard to argue with that.

Kinda disappointing, to say the least...
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    183 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S4 Dev Edition
    Quote Originally Posted by JFMFT View Post
    I saw this new blog by Motorola on the company's Twitter feed today and I wanted to share some really interesting information found within the blog. Here's a link:Motorola Update on Ice Cream Sandwich | The Official Motorola Blog - Motorola Mobility, Inc. USA

If you read the first blog post, Motorola is actually quite transparent and even articulate in their description of the Android upgrade process for devices.

The good news: The RAZR is getting ICS.
    The bad news: The blog post clearly shows it will take 6 months to ship ICS to the RAZR. Here's why:

1 month (mid-January): "We are currently assessing this source code, and over the next month we will be determining which devices will get the upgrade and when"

3-5 months (mid-April at the earliest to mid-June at the "supposed" latest, delays not included): "There may be a two-month preparation cycle to enter a carrier lab cycle of one to three months."

The bold sections are direct quotes from the Motorola ICS blog. I mean, it's hard to argue with that.

Kinda disappointing, to say the least...
    Kinda disappointing, but I can live with that. GB is not bad. As long as they come out with an update soon to fix the 3g/4g data disconnection issue I won't have any complaints.
  3. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Twitter
    @JFMFT
    Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by jpcalhoun View Post
    Kinda disappointing, but I can live with that. GB is not bad. As long as they come out with an update to fix the 3g/4g data disconnection issue I won't have any complaints.
    I can only assume the RAZR will continue to receive minor bug fixes/patches, etc., between now and when ICS ships. And this is a "worst case scenario" according to the Motorola blog - it could be as short as 4 months if you look at the timeline they laid out. However, my experience with Motorola has always been one of worst-case scenarios rather than best-case scenarios. The update process on my old Droid X was so slow and uncertain.
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Razr
    Did you read CNETS review of the GN? They thought the phone was just average and that ICS was still very sloppy. Id rather the "kinks" get ironed out on a worse phone and wait for the polished product for my RAZR. No sense in putting the messy operating system on the superior phone. And Im sure tons of developers are working on ROMS and whatnot. I know I had the ICS keyboard ages ago.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  5. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid
    Quote Originally Posted by tclarktc View Post
    Did you read CNETS review of the GN? They thought the phone was just average and that ICS was still very sloppy. Id rather the "kinks" get ironed out on a worse phone and wait for the polished product for my RAZR. No sense in putting the messy operating system on the superior phone. And Im sure tons of developers are working on ROMS and whatnot. I know I had the ICS keyboard ages ago.

Tell yourself whatever you want to justify buying a razr... But cnet is terrible. Go read endgadget and the verge.

Worse phone. LOL please.
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    19 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    Didn't they say early 2012 originally? lol
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    41 times
    Twitter
    @JFMFT
    Phone
    Like HTC's "by the end of Q2 2011" for the Gingerbread update which ALMOST release in Q4? Lololol.

None of these manufacturers (even Samsung, really) are better than the other - they are misguided in "customizing" Android - and that is the root of the problem. People have been saying it for nearly 2 years now. Stop messing with a good thing. You are bringing NOTHING but headaches to the table. (you = the manufacturers)
  8. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    100 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Quote Originally Posted by tclarktc View Post

Have you seen the other 10 billion reviews saying how great ICS is and how GN is the best Android phone so far ?
  9. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    RAZR
    Quote Originally Posted by alboboy10 View Post
    Tell yourself whatever you want to justify buying a razr... But cnet is terrible. Go read endgadget and the verge.

Worse phone. LOL please.
    By the time my razr gets ics you will still be waiting for your nexus to be released.....have fun waiting for your maybe not so pure google device...

10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Razr
    I mean it's middle Q2 for 2012. Asus, Amazon, HTC, and Nokia are all releasing phones around then. It's partly to let the Galaxy be the "*****" phone for ICS and to offset those releases.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Links