DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Engadget review on Battery Life

1. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Driod Bionic
    I think that is why most of the Bionic users switched to the extended battery. With the extended battery, there is no need to carry chargers around as you can easily get a day on it and with light use almost two. That will be a big negative for the Razor. What good it it too have a super thin phone if it always needs to be connected to a charger?
  2. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Twitter
    @Android4life28
    Phone
    HTC Rezound, Droid 2 Global
    For those of you complaining, did you read the entire review? They were able to get through a full day of moderate use, and they praised it for the most part. The 5 hours is a run-down test Engadget does to physically push the battery to its limits.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
    jroc and DDROIDJ like this.
    Sent from my HTC Rezound
    Rooted Unlocked and Ready to Rock!

Current ROM: Newt's One XxX Sense 4.0

3. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by droidfreak28 View Post
    For those of you complaining, did you read the entire review? They were able to get through a full day of moderate use, and they praised it for the most part. The 5 hours is a run-down test Engadget does to physically push the battery to its limits.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums
    Yeah I'm aware of Engadget's drain tests which is why I referenced it. 5hrs is on the low end compared to other phone tests. If it was just engadget it'd be one thing, but too many reviews are talking about battery life problems, not to mention the reports of overheating. I don't know if it's the razor, 4G, or both, I do know that the last thing I want is to have to run around with a charger in my pocket out of fear my phone will die mid day...
  4. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano2423 View Post
    So Engadget released their Razor review and my major interest was battery life. Obviously 4G is going to be a battery hog but I was hoping for greater efficiency. Engadget wrote:

Motorola Droid RAZR review -- Engadget

Ugh... 5 hours. I'm reaching a point where I want to say, screw 4g, what's the point of having apps like Netflix if when you're done watching a movie you're only able to make a few calls before your phone dies. Exacerbating this is the fact that I can't swap out batteries. I'm bummed and not sure what to do. My OG is dying, but I had hopes of better battery life. Anyone seen any other reviews that speak to the longevity of the battery?
    You do realize 5 hours is the minimum this battery last? Battery Run Down means they are draining the battery as fast as possible. You should be happy about this.
    DDROIDJ likes this.
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by crwys View Post
    You do realize 5 hours is the minimum this battery last? Battery Run Down means they are draining the battery as fast as possible. You should be happy about this.
    I specificaly commented on this in the post directly above yours... I'll quote myself I guess... "Yeah I'm aware of Engadget's drain tests which is why I referenced it. 5hrs is on the low end compared to other phone tests. If it was just engadget it'd be one thing, but too many reviews are talking about battery life problems, not to mention the reports of overheating. I don't know if it's the razor, 4G, or both, I do know that the last thing I want is to have to run around with a charger in my pocket out of fear my phone will die mid day..."

Not sure why people are trying to justify this. We are the consumer. We should want/demand more.
  6. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    12 times
    Phone
    Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano2423 View Post
    I specificaly commented on this in the post directly above yours... I'll quote myself I guess... "Yeah I'm aware of Engadget's drain tests which is why I referenced it. 5hrs is on the low end compared to other phone tests. If it was just engadget it'd be one thing, but too many reviews are talking about battery life problems, not to mention the reports of overheating. I don't know if it's the razor, 4G, or both, I do know that the last thing I want is to have to run around with a charger in my pocket out of fear my phone will die mid day..."

Not sure why people are trying to justify this. We are the consumer. We should want/demand more.
    I could be wrong but I think the battery is the best yet compared to Verizons other 4g devices.
    4G takes a lot out of the battery, so this is really good. The way I see it is, only use 4g when you have to. 3g is pretty fast for me, I can youtube on 3g without buffering on my Droid X. I'm not sure when I will actually need to use 4g besides tethering, but I'll find a use i'm sure once I get the phone.
    No one is trying to justify, we are just saying, the battery is actually pretty good compared to others. Not to mention the battery will be even better once you put a custom rom on it, and I'm sure the built in battery control features will be a plus too. If you think you are going to be using your phone a lot to where the battery will drain in 6 hours or so, then get a different phone if it is going to bother you.
    jroc likes this.
  7. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    DroidX
    The battery life issues are a concern. But, my Droid X right now after 2 hours of use with browser and some youtube drained to 30% after a full charge. So, I think this will be an upgrade for me Lol
  8. Droid Sensei
    Member #
    Liked
    164 times
    Phone
    Droid 1, X, RAZR, Rez, Maxx HD
    Quote Originally Posted by crwys View Post
    I could be wrong but I think the battery is the best yet compared to Verizons other 4g devices.
    4G takes a lot out of the battery, so this is really good. The way I see it is, only use 4g when you have to. 3g is pretty fast for me, I can youtube on 3g without buffering on my Droid X. I'm not sure when I will actually need to use 4g besides tethering, but I'll find a use i'm sure once I get the phone.
    No one is trying to justify, we are just saying, the battery is actually pretty good compared to others. Not to mention the battery will be even better once you put a custom rom on it, and I'm sure the built in battery control features will be a plus too. If you think you are going to be using your phone a lot to where the battery will drain in 6 hours or so, then get a different phone if it is going to bother you.
    What I bolded is the key issue some ppl are overlooking. Even comparing it to the Bionic and saying its similar is nice, since the Bionic has the overall best battery life of all current LTE phones on Verizon. Pushing it heavy and it dies in 5 hours? Nice to me. And like it was mentioned....my idea of heavy might not be the same as yours. The only time I can push my phone extremely heave is lunch time and to and from work. So 5 hours will be great IF I decide to push it heavy at times.

That 12.5 hours of talk time tho....I KNEW the battery life was gonna be heavily scrutinized with that claim. If it falls short of that talk time....I might as well get the Bionic. I hope I dont regret pre ordering. If anything I can get a Bionic cheaper now...lol
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.

MLK, Jr.
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    60 times
    Phone
    Droid X2
    The point is, the battery is still an issue. For most people it might be enough, but I'm curious to see what it will do after a week of conditioning the battery and "smart actions" turned on.
  10. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    46 times
    Phone
    Droid 3
    I take battery reviews with a grain of salt. Did they even bother to run it down and charge it all the way to calibrate it? Did they use any battery saving techniques? If we focus on some of the positive things said about the battery, maybe it's not so bad:

The battery on the Motorola DROID RAZR has really impressed me. After using the phone for a few days, I completely forgot about the fact that this a 4G LTE device (in terms of battery performance, not data speeds). For the first time ever, I believe that Verizonís 4G LTE devices have finally reached the point of being powerful enough in the battery department, and thin enough, to not offer any drawbacks related to 4G compatibility.
    The RAZR lasted days as far as standby time is concerned, and even with moderate use, the phone went for almost two days. While the battery isnít removable, thatís a small price to pay for a device thatís able to run with the best of them.
    Source: Motorola DROID RAZR review

Specifically, it's able to pump out approximately 10 hours of battery life on normally usage, which isn't anything spectacular, but still better than the mark reached by other 4G LTE smartphones. Obviously, light users can get almost close to a day's worth of battery life on a single charge, but it's likely to require nightly charging.
    Source: Motorola DROID RAZR Review - Performance and Conclusion

We'll have to run a few more tests to be sure, but anecdotally, we thought the battery life was pretty good. After a normal day's use of surfing the Web, checking e-mail, looking up directions on the map, plus the occasional Netflix testing, the phone was down to around 50 percent battery life, which isn't too bad for a smartphone. The aforementioned Smart Actions app also helps to conserve battery life. Yet, we do think the nonremovable battery will deter some power users.
    Source: Motorola Droid Razr Review - Watch CNET's Video Review

In our less scientific testing we managed a full day of moderate use. After an afternoon of browsing the web, syncing our data and placing a few phone calls, the RAZR was still going relatively strong, only dipping below the 15 percent mark as we approached midnight. Under light usage you may be able to squeeze two days out of it, but most likely you'll need to plug it in every night before you go to bed.
    Source: Motorola Droid RAZR review -- Engadget

The battery on this device is OK, and the device is certainly not the power hog that several other LTE devices have been thus far, but there are a few things thatíll have it knocked out cold in just a few short hours. Some of our tests thus far resulted in the following: LTE hotspot for a laptop: 5 hours. Video with data turned off: 8 hours. Netflix video: 6 hours. Normal daily usage (turning the device on to check emails every half hour or so, using the device for Spotify in the car, watching a YouTube here and there, playing some games once or twice,) 11 hours.
    Source: DROID RAZR Review | Android Community
    jroc and DDROIDJ like this.
    Do you like uninstallable bloatware?
    It takes about 5 minutes to complain and it's kinda fun. Let's not be complacent!
    Contact Verizon (anonymous w/ fake name if you like)
    Chat/Email/Call Motorola (anonymous if you like)
    Vote for Google issue requires Google login. Just "star" it to vote.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Links