DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: RAZR vs Galaxy Nexus vs. Rezound

1. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    22 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Note 3
    I may or may not regret my purchase of the RAZR yesterday. Time will tell.
    What I do know is my OG took a turn for the worse over the weekend and I need a phone now. (Well, two weeks from now as I SBF the OG almost daily)

Several things brought me to the RAZR.

Global = Travel to Europe several times a year. This is a definite plus.

Gorilla Glass = My OG is scratch free after 22 months. Not sure what "durable" glass is.

Build Quality = When I saw the unboxing of the Nexus on Youtube and noticed the flexible plastic battery cover. Ouch.
    I love the feel of my OG aluminum (or whatever) quality. It still looks like brand new with the exception of the camera button.

SD Card = Ran my first OG through the washer. Phone was toast. SD card was fine.

Then again, a couple of things were making me lean to the Nexus

Camera = I carry a DSLR for photos. I think I've taken less than a dozen photos with the OG.
    I pack everything from 10-22mm to 100-400mm Canon L glass and it suits my needs just fine.

Battery = This was a big deal at first. Then I realized I have had a charged battery in my truck for almost two years and never used it.
    for those who are away from their vehicle, office or home for extended periods, this would be a show stopper. It's just not me.

Unlocked Bootloader = I tried OC'ing my OG with mixed results. Have not overclocked in over a year.

CPU, GPU = I might play Angry Birds once a month when extremely bored. My OG handles this challenge just fine so I don't see any advantage of one over the other.

All said and done, I can live with my choice for two years until the water cooled Octi core processors are out.
  2. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2
    I was on the fence for a long while, especially between the Galaxy Nexus and Rezound for the full native ICS screen resolution. But I ended up pre-ordering the RAZR for the following reasons:

1 – HTC Rezound, despite full 720p, likely has a battery-eating S-LCD screen. Thunderbolt had legendary battery life issues which I doubt have been resolved for the Rezound.
    2 – I really don’t feel like having to remove the entire back of the Rezound every time I want to access the battery and microsd
    3 – Lack of trust in Samsung's build quality and their GPS radios for the Galaxy Nexus
    4 – I really don’t like the thought having to transfer multiple/large files to the G Nexus via direct USB connection as opposed to popping out an SD card. And don't get me started on "the cloud". That's fine for when I have small files. I prefer to keep all my music on an SD and save internal storage for everything else. I've still yet to hear confirmation that the version VZ gets will be the 32Gb one or that it'll be no more than $299, if so.
    5 – RAZR will have ICS soon enough, and lack of a near field communication option isn’t a deal-breaker for me. Especially considering Bluetooth 4.0's benefits.
    6 – Despite the sealed battery, which was going to be a deal-breaker for me, I'll give the power management options a chance, and batt life should only improve with ICS. Else I'll toss on CM9 when it's completed. Plus, in part thanks to iPhones and tablets, microusb chargers have gotten much better and more prevalent over the years such that it's no diff than carrying a spare battery. Not better than swapping one out, but perhaps tolerable now.
    7 – Motorola or Verizon may possibly start up a droid loyalty program. Not a major factor, but worth considering.

That being said, if the RAZR has the same sound issues as Bionic did (the high-pitched whining) or the built-in battery doesn’t last long enough, back it goes within 14 days for a refund and I’ll have time to see if Rezound or Nexus are more worthy. I love Moto's build quality, but this will be their last chance for me to get it right. Since I listen to lot of music on my phone, I had been looking forward to the Rezound. Not for the Beats itself but because it means sound quality was a focus of the phone in general. Short of some review claiming exceptional battery life or a surprise announcement on the 3rd that it'll have an AMOLED screen or ICS way sooner than expected, I'll pass on the Rezound and trade its superior screen resolution for RAZR's build quality. I rarely watch more than Youtube videos anyway, so I don't truly need the 720p screen, much as I'd love to have it. Perhaps an AMOLED successor to the Rezound will be my next phone, unless Motorola comes up with something else stunning. Either way, I can't wait to get this phone.
    Last edited by Ninjak; 10-28-2011 at 09:19 AM. Reason: additional info
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus
    Nexus is especially tempting... no blur, no skin... just the way I prefer. (I wear button-down collar shirts, too).
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by DoctorDeDroid View Post
    Nexus is especially tempting... no blur, no skin... just the way I prefer. (I wear button-down collar shirts, too).
    I just wish it didn't lack that SD slot. Depending what happens, I still may end up getting it down the line. I do wish the NFC technology wasn't built into their batteries, though. People are beginning to wonder how much more expensive that will make replacements.
    Last edited by Ninjak; 10-28-2011 at 09:41 AM. Reason: typo
  5. tc1
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    HTC is known for having very weak radios.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums
  6. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    42 times
    Twitter
    screaminz2002
    Phone
    Samsung Note 3
    SO many of these posts are dead on. I don't think any of these three phones are a home run for everyone and surely not solid enough for me to preorder one. I want to see the two side by side and play with both. I fall somewhere in the middle where if the Razr and Gnex were combined, it would be a no brainer. As it stands I can only lean towards one or the other.
  7. tc1
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by screaminz2002 View Post
    SO many of these posts are dead on. I don't think any of these three phones are a home run for everyone and surely not solid enough for me to preorder one. I want to see the two side by side and play with both. I fall somewhere in the middle where if the Razr and Gnex were combined, it would be a no brainer. As it stands I can only lean towards one or the other.
    Was the same, but dealing with my Pos thunderbolt and its terrible radios, causing missed calls, dropped data connection,etc made me really look at the fundamentals.

Doesn't matter software wise, I need a smartphone that can reliably make and receive calls.

And an internet connected phone means nothing if the data signal constantly goes out leaving you stuck a 1x or worse.

8. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    338 times
    Twitter
    garemlin
    Phone
    LG G2 - Nexus 7 v2
    Premium Member
    Hardware and reliability is what sold me on the RAZR. Had an OG Droid and have been rocking my Droid X since launch. Both trouble free.

I don't trust HTC after their security fiasco and they are famous for miserable batter life.

Don't really care for Sammy hardware and I still think first gen ICS is gonna be buggy for a while.

Lack of vanilla Android doesn't bother me because I will run GO Launcher and bloat can be frozen.

RAZR it is.

Sent from my DROIDX
  9. tc1
    Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    18 times
    Phone
    Enter Current Phone Here
    Quote Originally Posted by Garemlin View Post
    Hardware and reliability is what sold me on the RAZR. Had an OG Droid and have been rocking my Droid X since launch. Both trouble free.

I don't trust HTC after their security fiasco and they are famous for miserable batter life.

Don't really care for Sammy hardware and I still think first gen ICS is gonna be buggy for a while.

Lack of vanilla Android doesn't bother me because I will run GO Launcher and bloat can be frozen.

RAZR it is.

Sent from my DROIDX
    Is blur even on the razr?

I've seen a review that said it wasn't on this phone.

10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 2
    Quote Originally Posted by tc1 View Post
    Is blur even on the razr?

I've seen a review that said it wasn't on this phone.

Blue Blur or whatever they're calling it now is on the RAZR.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Links