DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: How do I disable voice alerts?

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4

Try this...

Quote Originally Posted by YellowJacket View Post
    OK, this is driving me crazy. All of a sudden my Maxx has started alerting me of texts with voice alerts rather than the default text tone. I've been through all the settings and can not seem to find how to turn them off and restore it back to my original tone. I have gone into "sounds" and selected the tone I use but I still get the voice notification. I have also looked in voice commands, language and input, and accessibility and can't find a setting.

I'm using the stock text app and have not made any changes or installed any new apps (recently) but have had several apps autoupdate.

Thanks,

David
    David,

You can try this: Go to settings, apps, all apps, find Google text-to-speech engine, open it, disable it. That should shut it up! *Note - open apps by way of settings (my apps are listed under "device" in "settings". Don't use your phone's apps shortcut. Your home screen's apps shortcut will not get you into the phone's internal apps.
    YellowJacket likes this.
  2. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    DROID Razr

Having same issue, some more detail. It is a Smart Action problem.

OK, I have been having this same problem for a few days now also. I have a DROID Razr running 4.0.4. I think I have identified the cause, but cannot figure out how to rectify it.

I recently enabled the Smart Action "Driving." This includes an action "Voice Announce" that is enabled for Text message sender and Caller name. When I receive a call or text message, it says "Incoming call/text from Person Name" and then the default ring/vibrate begins. Noticeably, with text messages I will get that notice and then it will be several seconds before the text message is actually visible and I get the regular notification tone.

However, when that Smart Action is no longer valid, the Voice Announce feature remains on. I can't find a way to turn it off.

I have gone through every single setting in System Settings. Caller ID Readout is set to Ring Only. Talkback is set to off, and within Talkback Speak called ID is unchecked.

Where is the setting for Voice Announce and how can I turn it off?!?!? I don't want to resort to MTeddy3's suggestion becuase I use the txt-to-speech for the navigation all the time.
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    Wow! I started a list today of problems I am having with my R-MAXX and "voice alerts" is at the top of my list. I can hardly believe I am not the only person having this problem. Hope someone will post a solution to our mutual problem!

Now, on to finding solution to my other issues. . . Best to all
  4. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4

Still trying ti help

David,
    Sounds as if you have two issues going on. One is in your sound settings for incoming calls. Options are usually something like "ring only", "caller ID & then ring", and "caller ID repeat". These settings are under "accessability" in phone settings. Set it to ring only _ caller ID will still show up on incoming calls, it just won't SAY who's calling aloud. The other thing is about disabling the text-to-speech engine . Your navigation will still respond to your voice - mine does. You are disabling the component that converts texts to SPEECH, not voice-to-input. Your phone will still accept voice commands from you.

OK, I have been having this same problem for a few days now also. I have a DROID Razr running 4.0.4. I think I have identified the cause, but cannot figure out how to rectify it.

I recently enabled the Smart Action "Driving." This includes an action "Voice Announce" that is enabled for Text message sender and Caller name. When I receive a call or text message, it says "Incoming call/text from Person Name" and then the default ring/vibrate begins. Noticeably, with text messages I will get that notice and then it will be several seconds before the text message is actually visible and I get the regular notification tone.

However, when that Smart Action is no longer valid, the Voice Announce feature remains on. I can't find a way to turn it off.

I have gone through every single setting in System Settings. Caller ID Readout is set to Ring Only. Talkback is set to off, and within Talkback Speak called ID is unchecked.

Where is the setting for Voice Announce and how can I turn it off?!?!? I don't want to resort to MTeddy3's suggestion becuase I use the txt-to-speech for the navigation all the time.[/QUOTE]
    YellowJacket likes this.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Phone
    LG G2
    @ Michael, THANK YOU!!! Your tip fixed my problem! No more talking phone.... unless I'm talking to someone on it. Your help is much appreciated.

David
  6. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Phone
    Motorola Droid 4

Glad to help!

So glad that you were able to get it to be quiet! I got my Droid4 about 2 wks ago, and that was the first thing that drove me nuts. They should have a much easier way to navigate to a solution for shutting the voice announce feature down. It is annoying as hell. Take care.

QUOTE=YellowJacket;2330222]@ Michael, THANK YOU!!! Your tip fixed my problem! No more talking phone.... unless I'm talking to someone on it. Your help is much appreciated.

David[/QUOTE]
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Phone
    LG G2
    Just reviving an old thread....

Well, the fix worked but unfortunately "breaks" Copilot Live. With thext to speech disabled, CPL crashes at the splash screen and shuts down. If I go back into settings>applications and enable text to speech, CPL works. So, I have to either put up with voice alerts for my texts or give up CPL.

I also found that I can go into settings when my maxx is in the car dock and disable voice notifications but that seems to have no bearing on text notifications. Still have the same problem.

I guess I'm going to have to try a FDR.

David
  8. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    S3

How to turn off caller id voice!!

Quote Originally Posted by lxshanexl View Post

Where is the setting for Voice Announce and how can I turn it off?!?!? I don't want to resort to MTeddy3's suggestion becuase I use the txt-to-speech for the navigation all the time.
    At least on the S3,...

There is an app called "Talking Caller ID (free)" thats installed automatically when you're phone updates itself. To turn off find the app in your phone and uninstall it...that should turn off the voice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links