DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: How to use less data?

1. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx

How to use less data?

How do I set my phone to not run anything unnecessary in the background when the screen is off? It seems to kill the battery fast.
    Smart actions? Is that the secret? Could anyone tell me how to set it up to work so only items I choose such as Pandora would continue to play with screen off? I also use wifi at home but the 3G/4G indicator is still in the tool bar, so, I guess it's still trying to use the network as well.
  2. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by EA.Droyd
    How do I set my phone to not run anything unnecessary in the background when the screen is off? It seems to kill the battery fast.
    Smart actions? Is that the secret? Could anyone tell me how to set it up to work so only items I choose such as Pandora would continue to play with screen off? I also use wifi at home but the 3G/4G indicator is still in the tool bar, so, I guess it's still trying to use the network as well.
    Theres no need to have 4g n wifi on together..go to system settings n turn off your data n leave your wifi on..turn wifi off n turn data on when u need it...n yes,s.a is the secret..heres how i got mines set up n iam only usein 2..for each one,i got "wifi off" n data off..pandora will play regardless if ur screen is off (in general)... hope this helps...

How to use less data?-forumrunner_20121025_232408.png

How to use less data?-forumrunner_20121025_232417.png

How to use less data?-forumrunner_20121025_232429.png

RAZR215unrooted
  3. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx
    OK, I'll give it a try. Seems like I've been running data even when the screen is off based on the info in settings, battery. It lists awake as being much more than screen on. Also android os listed as being the same as display. About a month ago I was getting about forty hours of use between charges, now, I'm lucky if I can make it to twenty four hours.
    I will try your advise and smart actions.
    Thanks!
  4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I saw nothing in his settings that turned his data off when connected to wifi. I made my own rule for smart actions that automatically turns off data when my phone connects to my wifi. It looks like this very simple to do.

How to use less data?-forumrunner_20121026_024840.png
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX
    There is,I couldn't take the whole screen shot.its why i said i had each for one of it....anyway,theres even free apps to toggle it on n off..check to see if your on cdma/lte netwrk too..bein on global can drain u..i had to mention cuz tis reminded me of this..the last update is set to global mode automatically

RAZR215unrooted
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    @jaye712 thanks for your post i just started using smart actions even though i have had my RAZR for awhile now. So i am trying some of your settings hoping it will help with battery life. And data use because i know when its time to get an upgrade i will lose my unlimited data.
  7. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    69 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX
    Quote Originally Posted by ted1
    @jaye712 thanks for your post i just started using smart actions even though i have had my RAZR for awhile now. So i am trying some of your settings hoping it will help with battery life. And data use because i know when its time to get an upgrade i will lose my unlimited data.
    Theres actually a thread on postin battery life too..good to get some sights n more ideas lol.. Post Battery Life Screenshots Here!!!. And another....
    What smart actions do you have set?

RAZR215unrooted
    Last edited by jaye712; 10-26-2012 at 04:42 AM.

Links