DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Badly bricked my Razr! Please help!!!!

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    droid razr

Badly bricked my Razr! Please help!!!!

so i know my post count isn't high here but i'm no stranger to flashing and hacking my phone. been installing custom ROMs on android for years and even windows mobile before that.

that said i've royally messed up my Verizon CDMA Droid Razr (not maxx)

it's completely bricked. i was on ICS and upgraded to Jellybean. it wasn't a totally successful upgrade because after i flashed the jellybean CyanogenMod via safestrap i couldn't get back to safestrap to flash gapps. so i just booted the phone up fine however i couldnt' get anything loaded because i couldn't get to safestrap or even install a file manager to upload safestrap.apk and load it that way.

right now the state of my phone is bad.....i can get to fastboot and i can get to the locked recovery but not to safestrap and obviously not to any sort of rom. i've tried to use matts razr utility 1.5 and 1.6 to restore to gingerbread (get 3 or 4 errors during the process), tried to use the ics installer tool to install ICS again (get 3 or 4 errors in the process), and i've tried to RSD and it doesn't get past step 6?

now my battery is low so i can't give it anymore tries. i can fix the low battery issue....but in the meantime i'm reaching out to see if anyone can help.

i can get to the locked recovery...maybe i could use a signed zip file to flash? if that would work where would i find the zip to flash?
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    First off, it is impossible to go back to Gingerbread after upgrading to ICS (OTA or fastboot). The Kernels are different. Attempting to backtrack to Gingerbread WILL brick the phone. I will have to do research to see how we can recover but at this point the problems are multiple...Jellybean Cyanogen over ICS fail, then Fastboot to Gingerbread fail, then ICS over failed CY Jellybean and failed Gingerbread, failed safestrap, failed RSD, and not the least of which is now a low battery.

Without getting you either to a safe boot or to getting safestrap removed, I don't know what can be done.

What we do need to do is to get that battery charged again. Do you have a Factory Programming cable? If not, are you handy with a knife and soldering iron? If so, see [Q] Bricked my phone! HELP PLEASE!

And watch the following video...

Also see this thread HOW Can I get *NOT MAKE* a "Factory" Style Programming Cable for Droid RAZR? Help?
    Last edited by FoxKat; 08-22-2012 at 07:25 PM.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx, Droid X
    Is there any reason he couldn't just fastboot to stock ICS with the 1.8 utility once he gets the battery charged?

Droid RAZR Utility 1.8
  4. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leftspin View Post
    Is there any reason he couldn't just fastboot to stock ICS with the 1.8 utility once he gets the battery charged?

Droid RAZR Utility 1.8
    Well, normally no, but he's got Safestrap on there and I don't know how fastbooting to .211 will work with Safestrap still installed. This is the MAIN reason why I am not a fan of Safestrap. I know there are those out there who swear by it, but if it screws up, it's pretty bad.

Guidot is supposed to be very well versed with Safestrap so I'll see if I can summon his help too.

"Professor FoxKat"
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
  5. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    i605/i9250/i515/XT862/A855
    Premium Member
    Ok.

I know next to nothing about the RAZR, however, if you are getting "stock" recovery (I'm assuming thats what you mean when you say "locked") then SafeStrap is gone.

The only way out is fastboot AFAIK. I don't think the ICS and JB kernels are different for ROMs, but they may be for stock. I'll see if I can summon an expert on that situation.

Sent from my SCH-i515, in between data drops.

1.Need to Flash a ROM? - Flashing ROM - Best Practices
    2.How-To Setup a ROM/MOD/Theme Thread with prefix - Setup ROM/MOD/Theme Thread
    3.Guidelines of Conduct on Droidforums.net - Guidelines of Conduct
  6. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    Premium Member
    So you need to be a bit more informational about how you "upgraded." You say you were on ICS, then went to JB. This is all while you were rooted and in safe mode in safestrap? Or were you stock, upgraded, then rooted and installed safestrap?

7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Thanks for the assistance Guidot, no the kernels for ics and jelly bean are actually the same. The kernel for Gingerbread is different and there is no known way to go back to Gingerbread. So he will have to fastboot to the most recent ICS whether its to .211 or the more recent .215 which is preferred.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by FoxKat; 08-22-2012 at 07:48 PM.

"Professor FoxKat"
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    38 times
    Phone
    Razr Maxx, Droid X
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    Well, normally no, but he's got Safestrap on there and I don't know how fastbooting to .211 will work with Safestrap still installed. This is the MAIN reason why I am not a fan of Safestrap. I know there are those out there who swear by it, but if it screws up, it's pretty bad.

Guidot is supposed to be very well versed with Safestrap so I'll see if I can summon his help too.
    I've been fastbooting with SafeStrap installed since I got this phone, should I not have been doing that? I fastbooted to .211 with SafeStrap installed yesterday actually. I think he would be okay to flash the fastboot as long as his battery is charged enough
  9. Developer Relations
    Member #
    Liked
    826 times
    Twitter
    guidot42
    Phone
    Premium Member
    You can fastboot just certain parts of the phone too, without touching recovery. In this case we just need to get it to stock ICS as I'm sure he would just like a working phone.

10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by leftspin View Post
    I've been fastbooting with SafeStrap installed since I got this phone, should I not have been doing that? I fastbooted to .211 with SafeStrap installed yesterday actually. I think he would be okay to flash the fastboot as long as his battery is charged enough
    No, I don't believe that is an issue. Safestrap was designed to allow flashing of ROMs into a second boot section, theoretically not too much different than dual-boot with a Windows PC, but essentially allows you to flash into the Safe system (2nd system) side, and keeps the non-safe system (1st system) side protected. So if I understand correctly it won't even let you flash a ROM into the 1st system side.

That's not the issue with the OP, because it seems he's had a corruption or failure of Safestrap altogether.
    TisMyDroid likes this.

"Professor FoxKat"
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Links