DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SallyC

Thread: bluetooth audio issue

1. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr

bluetooth audio issue

I upgraded from a Droid X to a Razr. My headset is a Plantronics Voyager Pro+. I didn't have a problem being heard on the X but, since pairing with the Razr, People I've tried to speak with say my voice is garbled. My brother said it sounds like I'm in a tin can 100 miles away. I tried listening to my phone on my wifes phone and the audio is garbled. Anyone else have an issue or advice ? THANKS!
  2. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Moto Razr
    Have you tried re-pairing the headset to the phone?
  3. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    I did in fact un-pair and re-pair the headset. Still having the problem. I did however, call Plantronics and they are going to send another headset. I guess I was wondering if anyone else had the same issue. Thank you for replying.
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Did you have your wifi on while doing this? I'm wondering if your BT and wifi are bumping into each other.
  5. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Moto Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyC
    Did you have your wifi on while doing this? I'm wondering if your BT and wifi are bumping into each other.
    That's a new one. Have other peeps had that problem?

As for headset problems, I have used 3 different headsets and never had that problem.
  6. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by rjeatkrconley View Post
    That's a new one. Have other peeps had that problem?

As for headset problems, I have used 3 different headsets and never had that problem.
    It's not unheard of for wifi and bluetooth to have compatibility issues. I've had some myself, and read a number of posts from other folks who've had trouble when running both simultaneously. I know a lot has been done in the last number of years to make them co-exist better, but it still is a possible source of problems. Other sources of interference can be other BT devices or microwave ovens.

As I understand the problem, when a Bluetooth device encounters interference on a channel (because wifi is on the same frequency), it deals with the problem by hopping to the next channel and trying again. This can cause a slowing or stuttering of the transmission. I'm wondering if this is what's producing a "garbled" sound for the OP. Best way to test is to turn off wifi and see if the problem goes away.

I'm also wondering if the OP's change to the Razr also was a change to ICS. If so, this might be an ICS issue which Plantronics might address.
    TisMyDroid likes this.
  7. Droid Newbie
    Member #
    Phone
    Droid Razr
    I had not thought of my wifi being an issue. I did turn off the wifi on my razr as well as the wifi on my home computer network. The audio issue is still present. I would like to thank you for the reply's though.
  8. Rescue Squad
    Member #
    Liked
    950 times
    Phone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 2
    Let us know how it works when you get the replacement headset. Hopefully the problem will be resolved.
  9. Senior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    65 times
    Phone
    Moto Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyC

It's not unheard of for wifi and bluetooth to have compatibility issues. I've had some myself, and read a number of posts from other folks who've had trouble when running both simultaneously. I know a lot has been done in the last number of years to make them co-exist better, but it still is a possible source of problems. Other sources of interference can be other BT devices or microwave ovens.

As I understand the problem, when a Bluetooth device encounters interference on a channel (because wifi is on the same frequency), it deals with the problem by hopping to the next channel and trying again. This can cause a slowing or stuttering of the transmission. I'm wondering if this is what's producing a "garbled" sound for the OP. Best way to test is to turn off wifi and see if the problem goes away.

I'm also wondering if the OP's change to the Razr also was a change to ICS. If so, this might be an ICS issue which Plantronics might address.
    That's why I love this place..learn something new every day. I always assumes that Bluetooth and wifi would have different frequencies as they also have different addresses.
    I knew about the bluetooth interference from other Bluetooth devices from going into best buy and trying to use my headset to talk on. It is an utter waste of time

Links