DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Droid won't power on or have charge indicator

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Thing is my battery was on 10%, but when i plugged it in to charge it, it shut down, white light came on and stayed on for awhile(2-3hours), white light went off, during the entire time i couldn't get a battery charging meter or it to power on in any way.
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1414 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    Something you can do to check if your phone is charging when powered off is to press the volume up or down buttons..it will display a battery icon and a percentage.. you might check into your charger cable... my wife had an issue where the cable got loose and would have to be messed with to start charging, but bumping it would make it lose connection.
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  3. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Phone
    droid razr
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXlovin View Post
    Thing is my battery was on 10%, but when i plugged it in to charge it, it shut down, white light came on and stayed on for awhile(2-3hours), white light went off, during the entire time i couldn't get a battery charging meter or it to power on in any way.
    From my experiences, if the white light stayed on for 2-3 hours and then went out, this is a good thing. BUT DON'T PUSH ANYTHING!! First time it happened, I too, kept pushing buttons as I was very anxious, wondering if it was ruined. Follow the directions I previously posted, it worked for me. My personal opinion (and supported by many posts saying the display is using a lot of power), is that the attempt to bring up the processors and the display is too much of a power demand on the battery, the voltage drops below the "safe" point, and the phone shuts down the battery. The second time I accidentally let this happen, when the white light went out, I waited a few minutes(15-30) and tried to push the volume buttons to see if the large battery icon was there, nothing, after 2-3 hours with the light out, I went back outside and the battery icon was there.

Yes, it's frustrating, and yes, the whole process from dead to charge is 5-6 hrs minimum, but it worked for me.

Did you try the car charger? That's the only thing that has been successful in waking my phone back up after the battery shuts down. (enters a "safemode")

Side Note: First time this happened is how I found Droid Forums. Been here ever since!!
    Last edited by jaybogg; 08-01-2012 at 10:28 AM. Reason: sp, added side note
    TisMyDroid likes this.
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    I'm currently at work so I'll try it as soon as i get a break (the irony is i work on iphones,ipads,ipods all day)
    TisMyDroid likes this.
  5. Master Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    91 times
    Phone
    droid razr
    Quote Originally Posted by WRXlovin View Post
    I'm currently at work so I'll try it as soon as i get a break (the irony is i work on iphones,ipads,ipods all day)
    There's gotta be some irony in there somewhere!! Wish you the best, and if you work on this kinda stuff, you probably know what I'm trying to say about the battery protection circuit. It is designed to electronically disconnect the battery from the phone if the battery drops below a certain level. The voltage during discharge is fairly flat throughout the discharge until the end and then the voltage drops rapidly with the current. The second time I did this, (yes twice, quit laughing) my phone went from 10% to protection mode in what seemed like a matter of minutes. It could not have been more than 10-15 minutes at the most.

Be prepared for this thread to be moved to the "smartphone battery" thread mentioned previously. I am a bit surprised it hasn't happened already. AND WELCOME TO THE FORUMS, wish it was under better circumstances.
  6. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2290 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Jaybogg, the cable you are referring to is called the Factory Programming Cable...

If you are unsuccessful, you can try fabricating your own How/why to make your own Motorola "Factory Cable". With that cable, you can bypass the charger circuitry that requires the Operating System and instead both charge and flash even without a battery.

You can also buy them online. I know TeamBlackHat had them (Factory style programming cable (for Motorola) ) but they're out of stock at the moment. If you google Droid RAZR Factory ProgrammingCable, you may find one.

I know they are also available on eBay...
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ht_5833wt_1168. I just bought one.
    Last edited by FoxKat; 08-01-2012 at 11:33 AM.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1414 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    As for not pushing anything... if the device is powered off, and I mean in normal circumstances, pushing the volume up or down will have it show a battery icon and the charge percentage for a brief moment. Its not going to hurt anything.
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  8. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    I did push the volume up/down and no batter charging indicator was shown whatsoever. Going on break here soon and out to see if my car charger works and if it doesn't off to fight with verizon -.-
  9. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid RAZR
    Car charger didn't work, verizon gave the famous "we can't give you a new phone right now. It will be sent overnight to your home." So now without a phone till tomorrow but thanks for all the help guys
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    RAZR Maxxx
    Quote Originally Posted by 94lt1 View Post
    If you have the constant white light.. that's bad.. you're doing everything you can.. good luck..

This is why its not advisable to kill the battery on these things...
    Do you mean do not let the battery completely drain? Since I have had cell phones and laptops I have heard this should be done occassionally. I am willing to unlearn this if need be.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links