DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duplicate Contacts

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx

Duplicate Contacts

This is driving me a bit crazy. I noticed this issue some weeks ago and it has gotten worse My contact list re: the phone, the Contact app, and DejaContacts (a third party application that I use in conjunction with Companion Link) all have 'grown' my contact list exponentially. Ie: I may have as many as 6 duplicate contacts. I dunno how this began nor to do I know what the remedy is for purging this list and starting over. So, any help would be greatly appreciated. I running under v.6.12.173.
    Thanks!
    Telescopist

3. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    15 times
    Twitter
    @Body_Bagz
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Razr
    My cure for this was manually deleting all contacts thar weren't stored by Google. Then making sure that Google was the default Contacts Manager..do this by adding a contact manually and when prompted select Gmail as the default. After that, make sure VZ Backup or any other contact apps do not sync...

Hope this helps...

Bagz Droid Razr, Most Nearly Bone Stock
    ...Rooted...ROM`d too many times to list...and still kicking iPhones in the @$$ on a daily basis....

4. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by BodyBagz View Post
    My cure for this was manually deleting all contacts thar weren't stored by Google. Then making sure that Google was the default Contacts Manager..do this by adding a contact manually and when prompted select Gmail as the default. After that, make sure VZ Backup or any other contact apps do not sync...
    Hope this helps...
    Could you provide more details on how this cure was accomplished. I went into Gmail and deleted all of my contacts. I don't care since all of my contacts that are important to me are stored in the personal information mgr. that I employ - Time & Chaos. So how do you delete all the contacts that 'aren't stored by Google. Cause after I deleted the contacts from Google the status on my phone didn't change. Is there a mass way of deleting all of the contacts on the phone? It's ridiculous. I now have a burgeoning list of over 3,000 contacts! About 2K too many. Maybe just a little bit more instructions and I will get it. Thanks.
    Telescopist
  5. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    If they are the same person, but different info, you can select join. And combine the contacts. To do this, tap the contact, once your viewing the contact, tap the options button, select join. The phone will give you a list of contacts it thinks are candidates. Select the contact you wish to join with. Pretty simple.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
    Last edited by 94lt1; 05-16-2012 at 11:30 AM.
    FEEL THE POWER OF DROID!!!
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Quote Originally Posted by 94lt1 View Post
    If they are the same person, but different info, you can select join. And combine the contacts.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
    They are the same person, same info. I tried to comine the contacts in Gmail>Contacts. That did not effect a change on my MAXX. Finally, I simply deleted all the contacts in Google. What I'm trying to find out is how to delete or merge the contacts on the phone. There does not seem to be a way. How would you like it if you had 8 contacts all having the same content of, say Bank of America? It's bad enough having one! Should there be a setting somewhere on the phone that I can expunge all the contacts and start over?
    Telescopist
  7. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Telescopist

They are the same person, same info. I tried to comine the contacts in Gmail>Contacts. That did not effect a change on my MAXX. Finally, I simply deleted all the contacts in Google. What I'm trying to find out is how to delete or merge the contacts on the phone. There does not seem to be a way. How would you like it if you had 8 contacts all having the same content of, say Bank of America? It's bad enough having one! Should there be a setting somewhere on the phone that I can expunge all the contacts and start over?
    To do this follow these steps. Tap the dialer icon. Tap contacts. Find the contact you wish to delete. Long press the contact. Meaning touch the contact and keep your finger on the contact, release when a menu pops up. At the bottom of the menu, it will say delete. Tap delete and that's it. It may ask "delete contact"?? Tap OK. Done.

Hope this helps??

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
  8. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    To do this follow these steps. Tap the dialer icon. Tap contacts. Find the contact you wish to delete. Long press the contact. Meaning touch the contact and keep your finger on the contact, release when a menu pops up. At the bottom of the menu, it will say delete. Tap delete and that's it. It may ask "delete contact"?? Tap OK. Done. Hope this helps??
    DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
    Thanks, but it doesn't help. I know how to delete one contact. I have over 1200 duplicate contacts! I was looking for a way to do a mass delete. You'd think that option would be available somewhere.... Anyway what I did seemed to work. I deleted all of Google contacts from the PC side. then resynced back to Google using my PIM of preference - Time & Chaos. Once I did that, the newly ordered list was transferred to the phone.
    Telescopist
  9. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member

Thanks, but it doesn't help. I know how to delete one contact. I have over 1200 duplicate contacts! I was looking for a way to do a mass delete. You'd think that option would be available somewhere.... Anyway what I did seemed to work. I deleted all of Google contacts from the PC side. then resynced back to Google using my PIM of preference - Time & Chaos. Once I did that, the newly ordered list was transferred to the phone.
    Wow, had I known you were dealing with that many duplicates, I would've changed my tactic lol. Glad you got it handled though.

In contacts if you press the options hey, you will see display options, if you would've unselected google, it would've removed the Google contacts.

Just putting that out there. I'll keep your work around in mind though, for future reference

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
  10. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Droid Razr Maxx
    Wow, had I known you were dealing with that many duplicates, I would've changed my tactic lol. Glad you got it handled though.

In contacts if you press the options hey, you will see display options, if you would've unselected google, it would've removed the Google contacts.

Just putting that out there. I'll keep your work around in mind though, for future reference.
    BTW this is an unabashed plug for an application called Companion Link. Companion Link will syncs your contacts from Outlook or, in my case Time & Chaos to the phone. I was having all kinds of issues with duplicate contacts that I think now originated with a corrupt version of Companion Link. Tech support was great. We were on the phone at least 40 minutes through a complete uninstall and reinstall then on to migrating my contacts over to the phone. Just thought I'd give them their due..
    Telescopist
  11. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    1416 times
    Phone
    DROID ULTRA MAXX
    Premium Member

BTW this is an unabashed plug for an application called Companion Link. Companion Link will syncs your contacts from Outlook or, in my case Time & Chaos to the phone. I was having all kinds of issues with duplicate contacts that I think now originated with a corrupt version of Companion Link. Tech support was great. We were on the phone at least 40 minutes through a complete uninstall and reinstall then on to migrating my contacts over to the phone. Just thought I'd give them their due..
    Awesome. Definitely keeping this in mind.

DROID RAZR MAXXAMIZED!!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links