DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

Thread: New Update - need advise please

Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3

New Update - need advise please

my RZR is rooted. last update created many problems for me and the rzr. i had to wipe the phone clean, start over, reroot, etc... it was a nightmare
    id like some advice on how to do this update the right way so i dont have a repeat of last time.
    any advice is much appreciated. thank u in advance

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    In order to be on the update path, your phone must NOT be rooted, and must not have any stock apps either frozen or deleted. In other words, from the installation package's point of view it should appear completely stock. You CAN preserve root through the update with Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, but you will have to temp-unroot with it to complete the update.

You may be forced to do the same steps you did before to get on the update path. The easiest way to do this is UPDATED Droid RAZR Utility [WINDOWS]. This will provide you all the tools you need to restore to stock, root, protect root, temp-unroot, and be a safety net in case the update goes bad.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  4. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Phone
    Motorola Droid Ultra in RED
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    In order to be on the update path, your phone must NOT be rooted, and must not have any stock apps either frozen or deleted. In other words, from the installation package's point of view it should appear completely stock. You CAN preserve root through the update with Voodoo OTA Rootkeeper, but you will have to temp-unroot with it to complete the update.

You may be forced to do the same steps you did before to get on the update path. The easiest way to do this is UPDATED Droid RAZR Utility [WINDOWS]. This will provide you all the tools you need to restore to stock, root, protect root, temp-unroot, and be a safety net in case the update goes bad.
    I had the same issue as peanut_gallery. Thank you for the advice. I will be trying it now. I am still afraid about my settings but I have them backed up with both Titanium Backup Root and MyBackup Root. I hope I get it all back. Wish me luck and thank you!
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Phone
    Galaxy S3
    Quote Originally Posted by georgenazar View Post
    I had the same issue as peanut_gallery. Thank you for the advice. I will be trying it now. I am still afraid about my settings but I have them backed up with both Titanium Backup Root and MyBackup Root. I hope I get it all back. Wish me luck and thank you!
    let me know how it went because im kinda reluctant on updating
    good luck

Links