DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faulty phone?

1. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    Ok, last question about this powered off charge (I think). Will charging overnight cause an issue in the phone finding the max charge flag? If it hits 100% and remains on the charger while I sleep will the continual drop and rise of charge give a bad reading?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
    Nokia 5125 > Siemens s45 > Samsung SGH X427 > Moto Razr V3 > Samsung Sync > Moto Rizr > Iphone 3G > Samsung Alias 2 > OG Droid > Galaxy Nexus
  2. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adampalooza View Post
    Ok, last question about this powered off charge (I think). Will charging overnight cause an issue in the phone finding the max charge flag? If it hits 100% and remains on the charger while I sleep will the continual drop and rise of charge give a bad reading?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
    Great question and I see you understand the whole concept. Have you been reading my posts? (LOL!) No, the overnight charging and topping off sequences will not throw off the meter. What does throw off the meter is multiple partial charges of different lengths because as said in a previous post, the voltage read from the battery at various intervals will likely read near 4V through most of the typical day since these batteries tend to level off at about 4V through the middle 60% of the full usable capacity. So if someone frequently uses the phone to 25% as an example, then plugs in for a short period and has 70% when they pull it off the charger again, the voltage hasn't actually increased by any but a very small amount. This is what confuses the meter because it doesn't recognize a .08 voltage increase as a 45% charge increase for example.

On the other hand, the topping off cycles happen in the top 10% of the usable capacity. This is an area where for the difference in charge, the voltages actually change significantly from 3.6V to 4.2V

See the chart below to get a better handle on what I am saying. You'll notice the line representing voltage level in the battery rises rapidly during the first 20% of the charging cycle (Stage 1), then levels off for the next 80% to capacity (stage 2), and then drops off as it's sitting and discharging, a more steep decline in the last 20% (Stage 3). Since the charging and monitoring circuitry recognizes the voltage drop and triggers the topping off cycle (Stage 4), it knows that it's at or near capacity when the voltage rises and reaches 4.2 again (end of Stage 4 and start of Stage 3 again).

Faulty phone?-ion1.jpg
    Last edited by FoxKat; 03-24-2012 at 07:00 PM.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  3. Junior Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Galaxy Nexus
    So far so good. My battery has been behaving extremely well big thanks to everyone for the advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links