DroidForums.net is the original Verizon Android Forum! Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: DTMF tones while making a call

1. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr

DTMF tones while making a call

Hi to all.

When I make a call manually, I have yet to hear the DTMF tones. And yes it is selected to do so in the sound settings.
    Only time I hear any tones is once I am in a call and have to use the touch pad.

Is this normal, or do I have a defect phone. I have had the phone for a week now, and cant figure out whats going on, because I
    am pretty sure I should be hearing them while placing a call, when it is selected to do so in the settings.

Thanks

3. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robotics View Post
    Hi to all.

When I make a call manually, I have yet to hear the DTMF tones. And yes it is selected to do so in the sound settings.
    Only time I hear any tones is once I am in a call and have to use the touch pad.

Is this normal, or do I have a defect phone. I have had the phone for a week now, and cant figure out whats going on, because I
    am pretty sure I should be hearing them while placing a call, when it is selected to do so in the settings.

Thanks
    It is a long-standing problem with the Droids, since the D2. The D1 has nice LOUD touchtones while dialing, but with the introduction of Blur, apparently Motorola decided that hearing the touch tones while dialing was not important and so they've been turned way down in volume level. Depending on how loud the room or environment you are in is, you may not hear them at all.

I know it is Blur because I have flashed other ROMs onto my D2 and the touchtones are right back where the should be.

The same problem exists with my RAZR, yet I haven't flashed a ROM on it yet to see if that fixes it, however I will eventually.

Check to see if any sound is coming out of the speakers when you dial by holding the speaker up near your ear and pressing the dialpad numbers. If you hear nothing then you need to check volume settings and make sure that "Media" is turned up.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  4. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Hi to all.

Thanks
    Just out of curiosity, is it any better if you change the DTMF settings to Long?
  5. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr
    Quote Originally Posted by SallyC View Post
    Just out of curiosity, is it any better if you change the DTMF settings to Long?
    That option is not available on this phone. Either on or off, and its off permanently. Don't hear a thing. So are you saying there is also a setting for short and long in there somewhere on the Razor?
    Because it sure isnt on my Razor.
    Last edited by Robotics; 03-04-2012 at 07:16 AM.
  6. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr
    Hi,

I have had my ear up to the speaker. There is no DTMF sound at all on my phone. All volume settings are maxed on my phone.
  7. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    That option is not available on this phone. Either on or off, and its off permanently. Don't hear a thing. So are you saying there is also a setting for short and long in there somewhere on the Razor?
    Because it sure isnt on my Razor.
    Menu, Settings, Call Settings then scroll down to DTMF Tones. It's there.
  8. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    25 times
    Phone
    DROIDX
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post
    It is a long-standing problem with the Droids, since the D2. The D1 has nice LOUD touchtones while dialing, but with the introduction of Blur, apparently Motorola decided that hearing the touch tones while dialing was not important and so they've been turned way down in volume level. Depending on how loud the room or environment you are in is, you may not hear them at all.

I know it is Blur because I have flashed other ROMs onto my D2 and the touchtones are right back where the should be.

The same problem exists with my RAZR, yet I haven't flashed a ROM on it yet to see if that fixes it, however I will eventually.

Check to see if any sound is coming out of the speakers when you dial by holding the speaker up near your ear and pressing the dialpad numbers. If you hear nothing then you need to check volume settings and make sure that "Media" is turned up.
    Works fine in my stock DroidX: Settings, Sound, Audible touch tones.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk
  9. Droid Ninja
    Member #
    Liked
    259 times
    Phone
    Verizon Galaxy S4
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxKat View Post

I hear tones when I touch the keypad to dial. Not rooted.

It's louder with Go Dialer EX than the stock phone app, but clearly audible.
  10. Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    2291 times
    Phone
    DROID MAXX XT1080!
    Premium Member
    I hear tones when I touch the keypad to dial. Not rooted.

It's louder with Go Dialer EX than the stock phone app, but clearly audible.
    I have to try Go Dialer EX, but I can say that my phone's touch tones at full volume is about as loud as my old D1 when set to a volume level of 5 out of 16. This has been a pet peeve of mine since the D2.

Edit: I was able to find a "Go Contacts EX", and a "exDialer - Dialer & Contacts", am I close?
    Last edited by FoxKat; 03-04-2012 at 08:45 PM.

"Professor FoxKat"
    "Saving DROID Razr's, one battery at a time. :-)" - (credit SallyC)
    Avatar is Maxwell Smart, AKA Agent 86, from "Get Smart" (with his signature "Shoe Phone"), a SitCom TV series by Mel Brooks & Buck Henry, based on the spy thriller series, "The Man From U.N.C.L.E.".
    "Guidelines of Conduct" for DroidForums.net
  11. Droid
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Phone
    Motorola Razr
    Menu, Settings, Call Settings then scroll down to DTMF Tones. It's there.
    Thanks...I did find the setting and it is set on long. I just realized I do hear the DTMF but only if I put the phone right up to my ear. Just a little away from my ear, and I no longer hear it.

I am starting to think this is a defected phone, even though noting else is wrong with it.

Not sure what to do now. Can't seem to find anyone with the same phone to see if theirs works normally.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links